leica lenses on digital

<p><br /> hi,<br /> <br /> it's commonly accepted that leica lenses really shine on the film domain, and do make a difference, namely on b&w<br /> <br /> what about digital?<br /> i'd love to know what you guys think or experienced<br /> <br /> thanks,<br>

rui</p>

<p>Rui, they seem to do a good job on my RD-1s and M8. Eventually, I'll be getting a G1 or some other 4/3s camera which will be able to take Leica lenses via adapter. My friends have been very enthusiastic Leica + 3/4s users, so I expect to be as well. </p>

<p>People have been putting them Canon for years. Leitax mounts have recently become available to enable one to adapt Leica R to Nikon and other brands. results for either are outstanding.<br>

M8 with Leica lenses gives files that are a wonder, way sharper than APS-C sensor Canon/Nikon models. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Not sure if you are refering to M or R lenses. I've been using some of the M lenses, which have removable mounts for use on a Visoflex, with my Nikon DSLR for years (with a Cameraquest adapter)...get infinity focus and the digital version of Leica signature. Have been considering using the Leitax mount on an R 180/3.4 but just not there yet. I haven't used the Canon R lens combos, but have talked to a number of people who do use them and seen their results on various forums and their websites. I think personally I'd prefer a DMR, but that's out of the budget at this juncture, although the results really are extraordinary.</p>

<p>Alex,<br>

That sure is interesting, but that 2x crop factor errr :\</p>

<p>Tobey and Stephen,<br>

I was refering mainly to Leica M lenses, but it would be fantastic to be able to use a Leica R on my Nikon D300 (namely because R lenses are much cheaper that M ones, if i'm right)<br>

Of course MF, but what about meter, does it work on the D300?</p>

<p>Converted the 180/3.4 to Nikon F-mount via leitax adapter for use on D200/D300. Fine for static subjects; MF using the foucs indicator with moving subjects is a pain - may need to change the focusing screen or get a D700. Stop-down metering a pain too.<br>

M-lenses on a digital body would be great - without a crop factor. Thus, neither the M8 nor the Lumix G1 cut it for me.</p>

<p>Well, "M-lenses on digital without a crop factor" is like the holly graal :) unfortunately not yet avaiable.</p>

<p>Not exactly true. You can use some on full frame bodies. Specifically, those designed to be used on the Visoflex as well as the M bodies. No, you can't use a 50 Noctilux or 35 ASPH, but you can use the 65mm Elmar, and some of the 90 and 135s as well as the 400 & 560 Telyts.</p>

<p>80 f1.4 on a Canon 5D is amazing at f1.4. No need to worry about stopping down with fast lenses. Here's an example. I also use a number of other R lenses and they give superior color to the Canon lenses according to my clients. I mostly photograph people in Black and White for myself using this combo.</p>

<p>I've tried some of my Leica M lenses on my new Panasonic G1 (2x crop). I prefer the quality of the image produced by the M8 with Leica lenses, especially when using 24mm to 50mm lenses. Recently, I experimented at a nearby lake with my 75mm f1.4 Summilux. Reid's review made the point that the G1 might be more useful for telephoto lenses than wide angle lenses. So, I checked it out. I did not try to take comparative shots with the M8 of the same scenes. Not sure what the point would be. But with the 2x crop factor the 75mm lens "acts like" a 150mm lens. But what kind of image does it produce? I'll attach a series of 3 images for your own evaluation. I'll only say that it was useful to be able to use the zoom feature in the electronic live rangefinder when focusing the 75mm lens on flowers, frogs, birds, etc. First, a limb with flowers on each end. Notice the bokeh and color. (Process as a jpg in Capture 4.7. </p><div>00TNda-135171684.jpg.b0226aa64c6703228c9342d200e11b73.jpg</div>

<p>I use a Leica R to Canon EOS adapter ('Roxsen') with my 40D with great results. I mainly use my 50mm Summicron f2 for low light portraits (black and white) and the results are better than anything I've achieved with Canon glass (I admit I do not have any L lenses). The adpater has circuitry for focus confirmation which I find very useful and allows fast manual focusing even with the less than bright 40D viewfinder. I find the combination of Leica lens and D SLR allows me enjoy the best of both worlds: Leica feel and quality and DSLR versatility. I still prefer using the Summicron on my R4 though!</p>