Epson printer..how long could you let it *sleep* without printing

<p>This may not have any baring on the subject at hand since I use a cheap Epson NX400 that uses the DuraBrite pigment inks. But just for FYI, when I checked out the cost of Epson replacement inks at OfficeMax it said on the side of the box to use within 6 months. They didn't give a reason why, but I guess it might have something to do with clogging, maybe.</p>

<p>I did find out that this water resistant DuraBrite ink wipes off Epson Premium Glossy paper with alcohol so that might be a solution to unclogging heads. Some have used ammonia based products and glycol based like Glass Plus but these solutions don't evaporate quickly like alcohol.</p>

<p>Also I've been doing some reading on Epson inks and the newer printers with newer formulation of inks have improved considerably in their efficiency in laying down less ink to reduce clogging.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>it said on the side of the box to use within 6 months. They didn't give a reason why, but I guess it might have something to do with clogging, maybe.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The use by date should be on the individual Epson packaging and is normally way beyond 6 months of date of purchase. Once a cartridghe is installed though, Epson advises to use it no longer than 6 months although many people use them way beyond without any issues. This has nothing to do with clogging as clogging occurs in the print heads, not the ink cartridges.</p>

<p>I've spreadsheeted every single one of my ink cart changes on my 2400 since day 1.</p>

<p>Right now my oldest cart was installed 8/24/2008 (Magenta, the one that's used the least, I replace that color on average every 8 mos).</p>

<p>Clog free!</p>

<p>Most used color for me? Lt. Magenta -- every 2.5 mos. a new one.</p>

<p>Oh, you guys are so spoiled!</p>

<p>I do garment printing and my machine runs an auto head clean EVERY 6 HOURS. I do a daily nozzle check and always expect some clogging of white ink (used to print white underbase on black garments so the graphics will show). The printer requires daily manual cleaning of the capping station and wiper.</p>

<p>LOL, I know we're talking apples and oranges here. Just thought my personal hell might make you guys feel a little better. I learn a lot from reading you guys' posts and I appreciate you all sharing your learning and experience.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Frans,<br>

Did you find any info on the reason why Epson says to use the cartridge up within 6 months after installing it? Why would they give that kind of warning and not give a reason. Makes no sense.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You can figure that out yourself. Ink doesn't last forever; it "spoils" after "a while". Epson has determined that time period to be 6 months from date of installation or the "use by" info on the packaging, whichever comes first. Could you go longer? Possibly, but Epson apparently felt 6 months is a period safe enough not to run into any problems. Any thing longer and you are on your own and out of warranty.</p>

>>> I was always spouting the "turn it off, epson says so" line, and got occasional clogs.

Now I leave it on for weeks, seems to work better.

I've tried it both ways, since I've had my 4800 (3 years). Seems to make no difference for me....

www.citysnaps.net

<p>My 2200 with OEM ink sat for months at a time without any use, never gave me trouble..at worst I'd need to do a cleaning cycle. Another 2200 with MIS Eboni B&W ink needed a cleaning cycle if it sat for a week...ultimately couldn't be cleaned. I think both of those experiences are typical of 2200...rarely a problem with OEM, usually a problem with non-OEM. Excellent machine when used properly. I don't think it made any difference if machine was turned off or left on between use. I trashed the non-OEM machine, gave the good one away.</p>

<p>My 3800 sometimes sits for several weeks without printing and with only two cleaning cycles in four months....OEM ink, of course. Wonderful machine...the big ink tanks make it more economical than 2200 was, and it's faster. I never turn this machine off.</p>

<p>I have had the same experiences as John w/ an Epson 1280 and MIS Eboni Black ink. 3 or 4 days is all I feel comfortable with w/o doing 4 nozzle cleanings. It was the same w/ my 2200's. That's about what you'd expect w/ a carbon based ink like Eboni. I have set the printer up for as long as two months in the past, but it took a lot of nozzle cleanings after that, and it printed erratically for a spell, so I won't do that again.</p>

<p>It shouldn't make any difference whether or not you leave your printer on and here is why. To avoid the printhead from drying out and causing clogs the "carriage" (printhead and ink cartridges) is "parked" in the "service station" to the right. When parked the printheads are capped and power to the printheads is switched off to prevent any heating/drying out. The carriage is parked at the end of every print job and before the printer is switched off so in terms of drying out it doesn't make any difference.</p>

<p>However, some printers, when not in use, periodically may test for clogging and/or go through a cleaning cycle and those printers should NOT be swithched off. Read your manual and follow the manufacturer's instructions; they are the experts.</p>

>>> However, some printers, when not in use, periodically may test for clogging and/or go through a cleaning cycle and

those printers should NOT be swithched off. Read your manual and follow the manufacturer's instructions; they are the

experts.

Which specific model printers must not be switched off per the manufacturer's instructions?

www.citysnaps.net

>>> I would think you should read the manufacturer's instructions.

I think you misunderstood my question...

You said there are printers that should not be switched off; per manufacturers instructions. I'm wonder which specific

printers you are speaking of.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Glad so many people do not have any issues. However, I was researching for a wide fromat printer the last a couple of weeks and it seems that the 7900 and the 9900 have some clogging issues and some users complain of high ink waste trying to keep them clog free. Which is like deja vu for me, that is exactly the reasons I left the ranks of Epson users. Neither the Canon or HP printers exhibit as much clogging reports. The HP cleans its self pretty much daily, but is still considered frugal with ink. Just wish Epson could do that, and no I don't want some junk free ware to try and do it.</p>

<p>I think there are some climate factors that influance the frequency of clogging. A very dry climate I think promotes clogging. Since I live in a very dry climate, I don't think I can get the 7900 or realistically any Epson. Which is highly disappointing since they are reported to be the best printers on the market in terms of color gamute and resolution. </p>

<p>So, while it is great that you don't have a problem and never had. It may be because of where you live and work, not because Epson fully solved the issue. I do hope that the newer ink sets did resolve the issue for more people. However, it does not seem to have resolved the issue for everyone. Just want people to realize that the issue may not be fully resolved, wish it were I would like to own a Epson again.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Fran said: <br /> You can figure that out yourself. Ink doesn't last forever; it "spoils" after "a while".</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well I did a thorough search as best I could and didn't find any evidence or data that showed what this would look like or if it even happens all together. Would appreciate a link to some site if available that proves and shows ink spoils and what to look for if and when this happens.</p>

<p>Evaporation and oxidation are some of the reasons why ink "spoils" over time. Even if the ink is well protected from evaporation and oxidation, as it is in the unopen packaging, it will slowly deteriorate. What to look for? Color shifts, inconsistent colors, deteriorated print quality and clogs. Here are some links I found in just a couple of minutes:<br>

<a href="http://www.hp.com/pageyield/articles/us/en/InkExpiration.html">http://www.hp.com/pageyield/articles/us/en/InkExpiration.html</a><br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00SysM">http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00SysM</a></p>

<p>My Epson 3800 still has two of the original ink cartages that came with the printer (cyan and magenta) that are still about 1/4 of the way from empty, and I just replaced the yellow last week. The printer is over two years old, sometimes I will go 4 or 5 weeks with out printing, with no clogging, or any other problems at all. Prints look just like day one.<br /> The 6 month shelf life from Epson IMO is just a way to sell more ink.</p>