There's Something in the Air Here

<p><strong>Bill</strong>- You wasted no time I see. I hope you get a good one.<br />There are two more in the Aires rangefinder line up that have this same lens that I'm familiar with. The 35-IIIL is identical looking to the 35-III but has the LV system and adds a rewind crank. The Aires V was their top of the line rangefinder that offered a meter and interchangable lenses. For a normal lens you had the option of the 45mm F/1.9 or a faster f/1.5 lens.</p>

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p><strong>Keith</strong>- It is a great film for color or B&W. I get mine, short-dated, for a buck a roll for a 36exp and have it processed (only) at Walgreens for two and change. They process it for me while I wait in about 15 minutes-It's almost as fast as digital! I like having both color and B&W options. After scanning on a Nikon CS 4000ED, most of the prints I make from the 400 speed, on my Epson R2400, are 6x8 or so sized image floated on an 8.5x11 size sheet of mostly Moab Entrada or Innova Smooth Cotton. I get very good print quality from this combo.</p>

<p>Outstanding presentation, Louis! Of course the pictures are top-notch as always with my favorite being the one of Robert. This might have just snapped me back into rangefinder-land and away from all of my 'new' SLRs...I'm going to have to find one now! Thanks for a great write-up. It's really informative to know how this camera stacks up against two legends, the Konica and the GIII.</p>

<p>Got my III L, it will probably go to Clarence G. Meanwhile, the rewind button dropped out and I can't find it. Does anybody have a spare?<br>

O yeah, Thursday an Aires V with 45mm 1.9 arrives. Can't wait to see what condition it is in. Anybody have V lenses for sale?<br>

Bill Lawlor</p>

<p>Well, the III L is going back to the seller. The shutter sticks and takes 3 or 4 tries to work. It needs a CLA. Film advance is very heavy. I got a few pics with it and the lens is superb! I was going to send it to Clarence Gass for work but now I don't have to.<br>

Today the Aires V with45mm 1.9 lens arrived. Ebay seller expressed it to me from back east. He didn't know if "it worked". It sure does! It's almost new. Just the usual dust and grime found on old cameras, even in a case.Film advance is light, focus is easy, viewfinder is clear, rangefinder is very nice, and the original selenium cell built-in meter is accurate!! Lens is pristeen. When I removed the lens all the surfaces looked factory new. Not even a speck of dust or any scratch. Same inside the camera. I can't see any wear marks in the film compartment or pressure plate. The shutter works like new<br>

I put a roll thu it and will get results tomorrow. Now, where can I get the 35mm and 100mm lenses?<br>

Lucky Bill</p>

<p>Sounds like the V will work out for you, Bill. Great to find one with a working meter. I have seen the lenses for sale on ebay time to time. The original hoods are very desirable and hard to find. Post a pic here or on a new thread.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Hi guys, I bought an Aires Viscount in need of a repair/CLA. Can you recommend someone that really knows these cameras? I live in Washington DC metro so ideally someone local, but I don't mind shipping. Also would KEH or Repairphoto.com do this kind of job (repairing the obscure enough Visount that is:)?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

• 3 months later...

<p>Anyone with normal skill in repairing manual cameras should have no problem with the Viscount. It's incredibly straightforward inside. Certainly Carol Flutot could do it very well, you would have to mail it to her on the west coast. But I'm sure Strauss in DC could do it -- but at a high price.<br>

As for Kodachrome, oh yeah, this begs for Kodachrome. All the family pictures my mother took of me growing up were with Kodachrome II in an Aires Viscount.</p>

• 11 months later...

<p>Here we go, almost a year later and another reply turns up.</p>

<p>I picked up an Aires 35-III on Craigslist here in Phoenix, AZ for $20. I can't even claim that I'm a rangefinder enthusiast but just looking at the pics of the camera intrigued me greatly. $20? Um yeah, I'll take it. </p>

<p>Unfortunately, the shutter was sticking but cosmetically the camera was in really good condition. The shutter actually worked but not consistently. I posted another thread about this camera in regards to getting it repaired and it was recommended that I get in contact with Clarence Gass. So, the camera is currently en route to Mr. Gass for an inspection and estimation. I'm looking forward to it's return.</p>

<p>So many rangefinders are popping up on craigslist around here not all are 'collectors items' but many are definitely worth looking into for the price. Just this week:</p>

<p>Olympus Trip 35 - $35<br>

Canonet QL14 - $40<br>

Konica Auto S2 $150 (i guess that one's a tad pricey)</p>

<p>But anyway.....yeah.</p>

• 5 years later...
<p>Once many years ago, I in the middle 1960's accepted a lens shootout, Aires 45mm F:1.9 coral Vs. Leica summircron 50mm F:2. A F;1.9 against a F:2, Plus -X film developed in Rodinal 40:1..... Magnification max for leitz focomat enlarger, high up easel on floor in 8x10...... Hands down the Aires won! Go figure, I knew it was sharp, BUT seriously!!!! We were all shocked, I smiled.............</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Aires question.....<br>

Good to see this thread resuscitated--especially as I have an opportunity to buy an Aires111--but it has the H-Coral 45mm f2 lens--a year or two older than the f1.9 that everyone raves about. Does anyone here know if the f2 lens is in any way inferior to its marginally sharper later brother ?<br>

Steve.</p>

• 2 weeks later...