Minolta madness

<p>Some weeks ago I posted about my nice new SRT-200 and was greeted by a chorus of, "Get an XE-7!" So I waited for one to come around on the ol' auction site, snapped at it, and it arrived today.</p>

<p>It took about 10 seconds to validate what everyone says about the camera. Mine is in decent shape, with trivial scuffs and brassing. Shutter sounds great, meter works. The only thing I'm not wild about is that the wind crank has gone loose and floppy for the first part of the throw, the part where it's not really doing anything. Inside is clean; someone has done a fairly neat job of replacing the light seals with yarn. I love the way the camera feels and handles. If the 50/1.4 Rokkor and the Sunpak flash that came with it had been in perfect shape, I'd consider the lot to be a great bargain for my $40. As it is, there's a nasty gouge in the front element of the Rokkor -- I've inked it to cut flare, and will see if it's still usable -- and the flash had a corroded battery contact, which I've already replaced. So I still think I got pretty good value for money.</p>

<p>Two months ago I had never owned a Minolta SLR; now I've got two of these fine cameras and have been patiently picking off lenses when I can. I've decided to stick with OEM primes in search of the best IQ and for the purity of my little system. I don't want to get sucked into the trap of relying on third-party 28-80 and 80-200 zooms to "cover" all the focal lengths. Life is too short, and good glass too cheap, just to "cover" focal lengths. I have learned from this forum that there is no reason to spurn the Celtics, so I have a Celtic 28, 35, and 135 along with my Rokkor 50s and 200/3.5. The one compromise I have made is to add a Vivitar 2x telextender, which has come in handy at key moments over the years with my Contaxes. I'll probably also add an M42 adapter so I can mount my 25mm Flektogon.</p>

<p>I can see that this is going to become my second SLR system, and get a lot of use this summer and many to come. Thanks to you guys for introducing me to some fine hardware. And cheap! My total outlay, including shipping, for everything in the photo below, plus 3 flash units and assorted cases and miscellany, was $133 spread over half a dozen auction lots. Seems a small enough price for a top flight kit that can handle any normal photographic situation.</p>

<div>00TKVK-133833584.jpg.33f7835fba749c4b350a36d899c2ed9c.jpg</div>

<p>Don't think you're off the hook just yet, August. Six months ago I didn't have any Minolta SLRs; now I've got an SRT-102, XE-5, XD-11, and an XE-7 that should come tomorrow. I've amassed a small set of nice lenses, including my favorite 58/1.4 and will probably (most certainly!) get more. The only problem I've had is that each one of them has been my 'favorite' and it's really hard to choose which one is the best to use. I'm sure that after I receive the XE-7 I'll be telling all of you how great it is and why I like it better than all of the other cameras I own. As it stands right now, the XD-11 is a jewel of a camera and it's going to take a lot for the XE-7 to top it. With the XE-5 already rotating through my camera bag I already have a good feel for the XE bodies (I actually prefer the quicker shutter in those than the shutters in the SRT and XD), but the XD is such a complete and very compact package, a lot of power and precision in a tiny body. Usually my camera bag holds my Canon 30D and several rangefinders, sometimes as many as four or five to use on my 40 minute commute to and from work. Lately I've only carried my 30D and the XD-11; I haven't felt the desire to use any other classic as much as this one lately.</p>

<p>So enjoy that beautiful new XE-7; it looks like a beautiful camera and having used my XE-5 quite a bit I know how addicting the smoothness of operation is. Still, leave some room on the shelf or in your bag for the XD body you're going to get next. You're going to...don't fight it! And you'll be glad to dive even farther into the 'Mind of Minolta'. Mike G. was right when he said they're like potato chips--you can't have just one. Or just two or three...</p>

<p>Very nice. Welcome to the club :) I see you don't seem to have straps - B&H has a very nice Minolta "wide strap" that's good on these. If you don't have a 50/1.4 Rokkor with clean glass it's worth getting one, and the 58/1.4 is maybe even better.</p>

<p>Don't write off all 3rd party lenses. Three of my favorites are Vivitars - the 28mm/2.5, the 28-90/2.8-3.5 Series 1 (the one that legend says is so good Leica licensed it, I don't believe it but it really is good) and the 1st or 3rd generation of the 70-210 Series 1 (I have the 1st gen f/3.5).</p><div>00TKWv-133849584.jpg.9a60f1ce8e3abbdfca232295b76b2a14.jpg</div>

<p>yup, I remember that topic and I think I might have posted a comment. I have two Minolta SLR's now...an SR-1 and SRT-101. I like them both, but maybe the SRT-101 more so because the built-in light meter can come in handy, and the shutter speed goes up to 1/1000. (I've never needed a shutter speed that fast, but you never know). Also, I bought it at a swap meet, with a really nice accessory case and extra lens for only $40 :)</p>

Congrats on your new items.... The Rokkor 1,4 is a fine pieces and I have mistaken it once with the Zeiss 1,4 Planar. Turns out on closer inspectionthe roll included shots from a picnic and remembered that I had the XD-7/11 with me so.. that'a a fine lens too! ,,mmmh like chips eh ..maybe my next Minolta SLR is calling me!!

Oh boy, XDs now. Well, maybe if I see one with the 58. Andrew, funny you should mention straps. That is a problem I have been dealing with since the classics started accumulating. I don't really want a tangle of straps in the camera closet, plus they're expensive. So my solution has been to get a bag of half-inch key rings to attach to each camera, and scrounge a couple of shoulder straps from old duffel bags, laptop cases etc with quick release ends (made of plastic so they don't scratch). I keep the straps handy, clip to whatever I'm shooting with and away I go.

<p>I have added a few Minolta items recently and I am waiting for one. Last month I got another X-700 at the Second Sunday camera show for $25. In the last week or so I took delivery of a 50/1.4 MC Rokkor PG, a 50/1.7 MC Rokkor PF, a 28/2.8 MC Celtic and a 50/3.5 MD. I am waiting for a Vivitar 28-85mm f/2.8-3.8 Variable Focusing in MD mount. I think the 50/3.5 MD is the prettiest of the 50mm manual focus macro lenses but when I looked at it closely it appears that the inner barrel, which holds the lens elements, is plastic. The aperture ring is also plastic. THis doesn't mean the lens won't give good qualty results. It just means that Minolta went to more plastic over time. I have three 50/3.5 Minolta Celtic macro lenses. They have all metal barrels and metal focusing rings. Does the MD have better coating? Not from what I can tell. My 50/3.5 MD needs service because the focusing ring is somewhat stiff. From what I have been able to find out, it would have been made between 1981 and 1985 so relubrication now is not unreasonable. Minolta seems to have lost interest in manual focus products after the Maxxum 7000 came out in 1985. The one exception might be the X-700 which was made for nearly 20 years.<br>

I would need a large table to gather all of my Minolta equipment. It includes not only 35mm cameras and lenses but flash units, winders, RF cameras, a Vectis S100 with two lenses, 110 cameras, 126 cameras, an Autocord, enlarging lenses, macro equipment, straps and all sorts of other things. I started to use my Minolta SLR equipment less until I was able to find some diopters. Now that I can focus more easily I enjoy using them as much as I ever did. </p>

<p>this thread is of great interest to me as I have an opportunity to buy an XG-M or XG-1..i know nothing about Minolta's other than what i read here but can someone tell me which one is better ..they are both going for $50 can with the lens...is this a good deal?.,...both are in perfect condition according to the owners.</p>

<p>You wouldn't be going wrong... what lens?...</p>

<p>I wouldn't buy it myself, I shop around for better deals than that. E.g., I got my XD-11 with a 50/1.4 MD in excellent condition (except the covering was peeling, but that happens to all XD-11s) for $47. An XG is still a good camera but doesn't have the build quality and feature set of an XD or XE.</p>

<p>For $50 you could score an SRT with a good Rokkor lens which would be a much better choice. I have to agree with Andrew as far as shopping around. I also found my XD-11 for about $55, but that was the body only, in excellent condition including the leatherette, but the XD-11 is worth a lot in my book. If you choose to buy an XG I think you'd have fun with it (I wouldn't spend $50 on it though), but if you don't mind waiting a bit and shopping for either an SRT, XE, or XD, I think you'd be a lot more satisfied and impressed.</p>

<p>In 'my experience, the XE-5 which came only in chrome, I believe, has held up a lot better cosmetically than the black finish XE-7. All of mt XE-7s are brassy. Another advantage of the XDs over the XEs is that the exposure meter is powered on the shutter release on the XDs rather than by a switch as on the XEs. I have forgotten to turn off the switch quite a few times and ran down the battery.<br>

Another difference is that the XEs use the CLC ecposure system and thenewer XDs do not. The XEs have CdS meters and the XDs use silicon sensors. Both are quite fast, compared to a Pentax Spotmatic or even a Canon FTb.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>In 'my experience, the XE-5 which came only in chrome, I believe, has held up a lot better cosmetically than the black finish XE-7</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The thing which initially drew me to the XE-1 was its combination of black and chrome. It is essentially a satin chrome camera but the prism housing is black.</p>

<p> </p><div>00TLCL-134129584.jpg.1e369a54ad2750e2ffe353c77029c233.jpg</div>

Okay, quick question about my XE7. I have noticed that when metering, if I switch between stop-down (DOF preview) and wide-open modes, there is about a half-stop difference in the meter readings between the two. Is this normal? Which reading is more accurate?

<p>Mine varies a tiny bit too. It's hard to say which would be more accurate but I would think wide open as it has more light to deal with.</p>

<p>Last time I took mine out, I took a hand held meter and the camera matched the meter 90% of the time. I only used the camera with the aperture fully open for metering though.</p>

<p>My 'next potato chip' came today...an XE-7 in very nice condition without too much brassing. Thankfully everything works beautifully, so I plan to put it through its paces right away. So far it slots in nicely between the XE-5 and the XD-11; the same excellent feel, smoothness, and handling of the XE-5 along with a lot of the features of the XD-11. An excellent all-around camera!</p>

<p>As I have mentioned before, I am very new to the manual Minolta world. I recently won an auction for an XD-7 and at the same time found an SRT-100X for under a tenner in an Oxfam shop. This has prompted me to scour for some old lenses (28/35/200) and I have just won an f/1.4 50mm Rokkor in an auction.</p>

<p>I have to put the explosion of interest down to the joy of using the XD-7 - the huge viewfinder and the smooth shutter release - and to an inexpensive processor of films I have found who provides 6 MB dust-free scans of negatives on CD-ROM as part of the all-in price (£5.50 for 24 6x4 prints).</p>

<p>So I'm getting these beautiful scans of well exposed and sharp negatives that rival my A100 with Minolta f/1.7 50mm in quality. The next step is maybe to find an MD > MA adapter so I can parlay the glass into my digital photography, but perhaps I shouldn't mention that here? ;-)</p>

<p>You know, it's amazing what ends up in charity thrift shops sometimes. I found a box in one labeled "Nikon Parts" and it contained a viewfinder and focusing screen for an F2 Photomic in EX condition and a 50mm lens. Paid $10 and flipped it on Ebay for $90 then put the profits into Minolta parts. Then a few days ago I found a Polaroid SX70 (the cult classic brown leatherette folding SLR Polaroid) for $5 and just sold it for $70.</p>

<p>BTW, I know what you mean, using an XD after using a DSLR is such a pleasure. The viewfinder is so much better, and it's small and light and a 50/1.4 functions correctly instead of being a tele. The f/1.4 Rokkors are really good lenses, you won't be disappointed.</p>

<p>BTW, some films to try: Ektar 100, Kodak BW400CN (your minilab shop can process your BW) and Fujicolor Superia.</p>

<p>You know, it's amazing what ends up in charity thrift shops sometimes. I found a box in one labeled "Nikon Parts" and it contained a viewfinder and focusing screen for an F2 Photomic in EX condition and a 50mm lens. Paid $10 and flipped it on Ebay for $90 then put the profits into Minolta parts. Then a few days ago I found a Polaroid SX70 (the cult classic brown leatherette folding SLR Polaroid) for $5 and just sold it for $70.</p>

<p>BTW, I know what you mean, using an XD after using a DSLR is such a pleasure. The viewfinder is so much better, and it's small and light and a 50/1.4 functions correctly instead of being a tele. The f/1.4 Rokkors are really good lenses, you won't be disappointed.</p>

<p>BTW, some films to try: Ektar 100, Kodak BW400CN (your minilab shop can process your BW) and Fujicolor Superia.</p>

<p>I have recently been bitten by the minolta bug as well. About 5 years ago I bought a Dimage Z3 and loved the pictures taken by it. Then I bought a Maxxum 5000 and 7000 (both with 35-79mm lens. At least I got two good lenses.) that didn't work. I didn't know about the aperture magnets going bad. The cost to repair was more expensive then getting different ones. This time I made sure they worked and I love them. Then I decided to try the manual focus route for Minolta and purchased 2 srT101's. On came with a 58 1.4 Rokkor and the other came with a 28 2.5 and 135 2.8 Vivitar lenses. The meter on one camera does not work but everything else appears functional. I took my first rolls of film this weekend can't wait to get them developed. Oh I also got a Vivitar 2X teleconverter and a close focusing ring. Any tips or tricks or things to be aware of for the 101?</p>