Which color is more sensitive to TMX and TMY

<p>That's a matter of comparing the spectral sensitivity chart on the Kodak datasheets (F-4016 and F-4043), which are particularly comprehensive on the T-MAX films.<br>

Primary difference appears to be that TMX is more sensitive to the violet and UV portion of the spectrum (500 nm and down) than TMY-2. (The original TMY is very similar to TMX.)</p>

<p>Nearly any B&W film you can find is most sensitive to blue. Before they had current techology the best they could do was blue-sensitive orthochromatic films -- which is why so many old photographs have white skies. Modern panchromatic films are generally made from an ortho. base to which is added sensitising dyes to spread the sensitivity of the film down the scale toward red. These dyes tend to cause sensitivity peaks at certain frequencies; films from the "big three" peak at different frequencies and with different amplitudes thus causing somewhat different tonalities in image capture. To find the exact peaks you'll need the manufacturer's response curves. Kodak published this data on their website in <a href="http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/f32/f32c.jhtml#1090269">Tech. Pub. F-32</a> for the Tmax films.</p>

<p>I can only tell you about my personal experience, when using Kodak TMY with yellow filter, there is no visible difference to the photo without the filter, as far as I can tell, while with Ilford HP5 there is, skin becomes lighter and the blue sky becomes darker. This is one of the reasons I prefer HP5 for now.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zgodzinski/">Piotr</a></p>