What to get for Dead D50

<p>My D50 shutter failed. Forum suggested remedies did not revived it. It was my back up camera. I have D200 what should I get in place of my late D50. Should it be a D90 or D300 ? I am positively not thinking of FX camera.</p>

<p>I like to shoot Faces, birds, flowers for fun.</p>

<p>Well, having a D200 and a D50 you are as well informed as anybody. You know what the benefits of the Dx00 series are - the durability, the weight, the ability to fully use AI lenses, the improved AF system, the rapid fire mode. The D90 and D300 have nearly identical sensors and are able to produce the same image quality and same ISO performance. So the question is, knowing the benefits, will they help your photography, and are they worth the costs? (Where cost also includes needing to carry a larger and heavier object.) Either of those cameras will outperform your D200 in so many ways that it will become your primary and the D200 will be the backup.</p>

<p>Getting either the D90 or the D300 would actually be more of a solid step up from the D200 than an upgrade from the D50. The D90 has the newer gneration electronics and produces better image quality. The D300 does just that plus it's essentially built to pro-standard. </p>

<p>If you want a smaller and lighter camera and like the D50's image quality, you might want to look into the D40 (assume you're ok with the lack of AF motor) or the new D5000 (get it when the price come down). </p>

<p>Now might not be the best time to get a D300 though. Its price is quite high after the price hike, and the D700 and the D300 replacement (probably going to arrive before the end of the year) are two other good alternative choices/possibilities. </p>

<p>Thanks all of you for your suggestions. It looks that I should go D300 and keep D200 as second camera as weight, build and Memory card will be similar.<br /> fixing D50 is really not an option The repair shop aked for 275 to fix and 90 day warranty.<br /> Thanks again for giving me your time. May God Bless you.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>New D200 bodies are still on sale at Best Buy for $599.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This was my first thought. The nice thing there is then you can ditch the SD cards and have compatible CF cards for both cameras. Also compatible batteries. Although picking up another D50 isn't a horrible option either, it does perform extremely well all the way up to ISO 1600, and can store a ton of raw files on a single card due to the 6 MP sensor. I used a D50 forever and loved it, aside from a few missing things.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>D50 is really not an option The repair shop aked for 275 to fix and 90 day warranty.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I hear you there, you can probably get another (used) one for less and sell yours for parts.</p>