35mm TMAX goes to the beach

<p>Larry, Kodak updated the 100 a year earlier. The new 400 is very close but not quite as fine to 100. Both sharp enough to outresolve any lens.</p>

<p>The new 400 has also (in my opinion) a very attractive and improved tone rendition from the old TMY.</p>

<p>On 120 both are just unreal. I almost brought the RZ to the beach but I'm to attached to bring it on the sand. The Elan 7ne with the 50mm 1.4 got 99% of the shots. </p>

<p>Both TMAX 100 and 400 are plenty for 24 inch prints from 35mm. 120 is just heaven.</p>

<p>For TMX 100: Xtol 55:45, 75F, 6.5 min, (30 sec continuous and the 5 inversions and a tap every 30 sec)<br /> For TMX 400: Xtol 1:1, 75F, 7 min, (30 sec continuous and the 4 inversions and a 2 taps every 30 sec)</p>

<p>For TMX 400 at 6400 I use 10.5 minutes.</p>

<p>Mauro,<br>

Thanks for sharing those. I don't remember getting such good tonal gradations out of Tmax when I used to try it. I always went back to the old-school Plus-X and Tri-X for that reason.<br>

But, your results may make me change my mind! :-) I'll have to try some with those development times and see what I get someday.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Jed</p>

<p>So.... my only experience with Tmax films dates back to the early 90s - at the time I worked at a pro black and white lab, and all of us who printed for a living hated and avoided these films because of their blown out highlights and lots of tedious burning in that came with it. I finally ran tests of all of the various emulsions available at the time and measured the results with a densitometer. The tmax films (100, 400, and 3200) had ski-jump shaped characteristic curves, with the densities taking off in the highlights. Yuck! Most of the other brands had fairly straight characteristic curves with a noticable shoulder in the extreme highlights. One film, I believe Fuji Neopan 1600, was the anti-Tmax, actually compressing tones in the highlights, making it amazing for use with backlit subjects.<br>

Has Kodak reformulated the tmax films in the last 15 years to have more benign tonal curves? Judging by the reults above, it appears they have, although with digitizing and tonal manipulation in photoshop, the old emulsions would probably have proven more tractable - for optical printing they were a nightmare.</p>

<p>Yes, Kodak reformulated the Tmax films, and I believe more than once. At least the 400 speed considerably, and pretty recently too. I sure these films are different animals now than the ones you had experience with in the '90s.<br>

@Mauro - I was generally using D76, and I was printing optically in my garage - not the best "controlled" darkroom conditions, etc...but it worked. At any rate, I kept going back to Plus-X and Tri-X as my favorite, I just seemed to get more tones or something that I liked from the old emulsions.<br>

Like I said earlier, though - your results have made me want to revisit this some time.<br>

Jed</p>