Which camera produces largest film format and works for travel?

asimrazakhan

<p>The problem with the Mamiya 6 is something to do with the film advance mechanism, which refuses to work and can't be repaired because there are no longer the necessary parts available. I know this is difficult to believe. I have my M6 from new and have been very careful with it, so no problems so far. This is not a problem with the M7 as it is a completly different contraption. There are many posts on this subject on Photo.net. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>This is not a problem with the M7 as it is a completly different contraption.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That sounds strange to me since the M7 is much simpler built (lot of plastic). But good to know so I will not overagitate the advance lever. Thx.</p>

<p>"I'm trying to maximise the area of the film and minimize the size and weight of the camera. So what camera will produce the largest film format yet will still be a small sized camera?" <br>

Technically, the 8x11mm Minox would be ideal! :-) Okay; probably not what you are looking for. The Mamiya 7 is excellent, but don't discount 6x4.5cm format as a compromise. The Bronica FR645 may fit your criteria better. Also consider Pentax 645! Rather lightweight, SLR system and is incredibly affordable these days. Hand-holdable 4x5? Sure! There's Linhof press camera and Horseman Technical. They are not lightweight, but I have used them handheld and the hand grips & straps are there for a purpose!</p>

<p>While I agree that the Mamiya 7/7II is a great camera, the Horseman 612, Linhof 612 or a Cambo Wide with Horseman 6x12 back will provide a much larger frame size (56 x 112mm) that is very effective for landscapes and travel - and makes 6x7 format look cramped. These cameras are not much larger than the Mamiya 7. They use compact Schneider or Rodenstock wide angle lenses and their huge depth of field makes estimated focus (without a rangefinder) easy.</p>

<p>You haven't given us much to go on, so the answers are all over the map. That said, the Fuji 645zi is lightweight and a much larger negative than 35 mm. It's basically an oversized point and shoot. Good and sharp, and fully automated, including autofocus. I love mine. It's about the same weight as many 35 mm cameras, including lens. Based on what I've read, the Mamiya 7 is probably better, in many ways. On the other hand, the Fuji is (now) very reasonably priced. Horses for courses.</p>

<p> Many of the answers may be biased by experience, personal tastes, etc. Besides, it depends on how you define "small size" and what you are effectively willing to carry as hand luggage. And of course, what may be relatively light for a short walk, can become a heavy burden after an hour of hiking. For me, a Fujica G690 with three lenses has worked fine most times. I don't think a larger format is practical for travel, let alone street shots, unless you attach a rollfilm back.</p>

<p>Light enough to carry and can be hand-held with largest format possible? My vote goes for a Super Graphic with a 150mm to 160mm convertible lens (normal and tele in one) and a separate 90mm to 100mm lens and board for wide angle. Equip it with a 120 roll film back and you're ready to go! :)</p>

<p>If you like 6X9 format, don't need interchangable lens, one of my favoriates is the Kodak Medalist II. Have used one since 1954 and that Ektar lens is hard to beat. Still use it some today. Will last two lifetimes. Makes the most beautiful 6X9 transparencies I have seen.<br>

Bob C.</p>

<p>Plaubel Makina 67/670 for me, in terms of biggest negative/most convenient.<br>

I sold mine to cover tuition one semester 3 years ago, and while I have bought and sold dozens of cameras due to GAS, it is the one camera that I have really regretted letting go! One must baby it a lot in order to prevent any number of hard-to-repair mishaps, but the portability is second-to-none and the 2.8 lens is awesome. Of course, if you're into wides, look elsewhere... If I could afford any system, I'd buy the Mamiya 7. But for one normal lens, a 67 would do it.</p>