How to Become a Wedding Photographer

g._snow

<p>About a year ago I decided to start my portrait photography business (infants, children, families). Recently I had the opportunity to shoot a wedding and, to my surprise, had alot of fun with it. I learned alot, I made some mistakes, but the Bride seemed very happy. I would like to start shooting more weddings, and eventually marketing myself as a wedding photographer. I would love to go along as a second shooter with some more established wedding photographers to get started.</p>

<p>So my question to all you wedding pros is, what is an effective and professional way to contact local wedding pros and offer my services? Would an email suffice, or would a phone call and friendly chat open more doors? Should I offer to shoot for free, or would that undermine my professional integrity? I don't have alot of fancy equipment (Nikon D40, 18-55mm kit lens, 2 external speedlights), but I do have a BFA in photography. And a website for my portrait business that showcases some of my work. Any other advice on how to break into the wedding business would be much appreciated. Thanks!</p>

<p><s>Maybe you should place this Post in the Weddding and Social section.</s><i>Moderator: Please do not recommend cross-posting, it is not allowed on photo.net. If something is in the wrong forum, the poster can request that it be moved.</i> There ar a variety of ways to get into wedding photography. Most people start off doing weddings for friends and family. Some even volunteer, or work as Photographer assistants. There are books an training on how to become a good photo assistant, but if you plan to become one you must learn to live without a camera for a while. Some photographers become intimidated if you try to steal the show. Of couse some wedding photographers, or studios will hire you as a second photographer where you can use your camera. To get a job at one of these places you need a good portfolio which is like a catch 22 if you are first starting out. of course you can also attend evey wedding you are invited and act as a back up photographer. You should work out some type of agreement with the photographer and bride and groom because they might take offense if you are in their 0way. Believe me wedding photography can be a very humbling experience if you are not careful. Some people start out by doing a couple of Free weddings just so they can build up their portfolios, but I would rather work as an assistant, or second photgrapher because you learn just as much plus you get some advice from someone with more exprience. If you think your portfolio is good enough now you might be able to apply to a studio, but many studios expect you to have a Medium Format Camera, or something like the Canon 5D minimum. Some wedding photographers I know who have a couple of years under their belt don' teven advertise they do everything by word of moutyh. others have fancy websites and advertise their name in wedding magazines, and/or they register their names in their local town's book of wedding photographers. You can also place small adds in local papers since they are cheaper, or the even tht yellow pages if you can afford it. A website might come in handy, but believe you me there are thousand and thouands of competing wedding websites on the web. Some photographers start off real low charging maybe $500 per wedding or less. They can charge this low price because usually there is no printing involved, just a DVD or CD. Others charge by the hour, and others have a fixed package price which they can easily modify by increasing their services. I' dont like charging by the hour because it limits your flexibility. I rather charge by "package" which also includes the estimate number of hours. Some photographers charge as much as the price for a small car, or even higher for their weddings, but if you are just starting out you usually don't have that option. </p>

<p>G:</p>

<p>Step One: Go to the Weddings and Social section on P.Net and <strong><em>read</em></strong> everything you can find. Lots of very useful how-to guides and other treasures in the archives there.<br>

Once you've read through the basic information and if you still have any questions I'm sure plenty of knowledgeable people both in the Business forum and the Wedding forum would be more than willing to help.</p>

<p>"Maybe you should place this Post in the Weddding and Social section.<em>Moderator: Please do not recommend cross-posting, it is not allowed on photo.net. "</em><br /><em></em><br />Common now, I seen allot of people recommend other people to other sections and there was absolutely no problem, I swear if the GESTAPO stuff does not stop here I'm canceling my membership !</p>

<p>You can start with an email asking to meet with them about 2nd shooter positions. First you need to filter out the pros from the want-to-be's. Not everyone with a website is a pro. Another alternative is to join your local PPA affiliate and attend the meetings. This is a good place to meet the locals, learn, and network.</p>

<p>To be honest, no one really cares about someone having a degree in photography, they care how good of a photographer you are. Just being honest there. I would simply drop an email to the photographers in your area and let them know you'd like to second shoot for them. Do it for free, unless they offer to pay you.<br>

Also, go out and get yourself Fast Track Photographer by Dane Sanders. It'll really help. :)</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p><strong>Don't do it !</strong> Just kidding,kinda,,,you will beed back-up equipment. Even if it is film,,,yeah film,,The biggest thing you will need is the ability to work under pressure and deal with people. Sometimes lots of people. Sometimes lots of pressure. While under pressure, dealing with people, people taking photos of your poses, watching a 2 year old ring bearer carry your camera off, trying to pin on flowers, straighten candles, figuring out how to deal with flouracent lights on the side, mercury vapor lights in the middle, and incadescent spot lights in the center, bride who is mad at her mother-in-law, drunk groom who does not want his photo made, while dealing with all of this, be able to pull out great creative photos,,<br />How to start ? prescription of xanax, shoot a wedding or 2 for free for portfolio. Break out credit card, I believe I have crossed the $15,000 mark several years ago. Sadly, unless you buy Leicas, nothing will hold its value except f2.8 glass. Remember that there are young photographers reight behind you. I saw the work of a 17 year old who is as good & better than 1/2 I see on websites. Remember, the <em>more</em> you charge, the <em>better</em> your work has to be. Nothing like charging $2500.00 & brides sister has better photo's than you do.</p>