Never had this show up in an image before

Those are some interesting demosaicing artifacts. If the shot was taken in RAW, you might be able to avoid it with a different RAW converter, and some converters offer a choice of algorithms or algorithm parameters. The flare will still be there of course, but the pixel-level structure won't look so odd.

Very nice photo by the way.

<p>I used a lens hood & no UV filter. I'm no stranger to flare (& mist), I've got no problem with the overall look. It's just when you look closely and can see the "artifacts", that' s what I'm concerned with. I guess it's just the angle? Too much sun coming into the lens? I've just never seen this unnatural geometric pattern come up before. Here's the next image in the series, slightly different angle, and no weird pattern. I use Adobe DNG Converter, should I use something else?</p><div>00T3dG-124747584.jpg.8d6847913a89793846fe25cf06b3bae0.jpg</div>

<p><em>" I use Adobe DNG Converter, should I use something else?"</em></p>

<p>Wrong question. The converter just changes the raw file image format to the common DNG raw file format. It doesn't change the exposure or contrast or colors.</p>

<p>You're probably most likely using one of the versions of PS's ACR. ACR 5.2 or 5.3 is the latest and greatest, can't be beat version.</p>