Lucky SHD400 in Diafine

<p>Hi,<br>

I was wondering if anyone has any exprience with this combo (SHD400, specifically 35mm, in Diafine) - specifically, what kind of "speed" can I expect? Its hard to extrapolate because other "classic" emulsions range widely in published speeds (from 1600 for Trix to 640 for HP5+). Any and all input would be greatly appreciated as I seem to have a hard time locating any actual information, mostly guesses and assumptions (although I will take those too :) ). Thanks,<br>

Peter.</p>

<p>Fortunately this is one of those rare instances when it's perfectly okay to bracket. Not a good practice with any standard developer or development technique, but perfect for Diafine. It's what I do with any film for Diafine. No need to vary from the standard development time.</p>

<p>Start at the ISO speed, shoot at least three frames:</p>

<ol>

<li>High contrast subject, preferably in sunlight or other hard light</li>

<li>Low contrast subject, preferably three tones, roughly 18% gray or equivalent color (green construction paper the color grass will do) and one very slightly darker, another very slightly lighter. Shadowless lighting.</li>

<li>Average subject and lighting, your choice.</li>

</ol>

<p>Bracket in full stops down and up, repeating all three. If you like, take more than one photo at each ISO setting for #3. But don't skimp on #1 and #2, because those will really reveal the quirks of certain films in Diafine.</p>

<p>With Tri-X, for example, you'll see an odd blending of three distinct tones in step #2. That tendency to sort of smear midtones together is part of the unique look of Tri-X in Diafine. It's especially apparent in light to middle skin tones. (I prefer Tri-X at around 1200 for slightly better shadow detail, without getting into the weird look of Tri-X at 400 in Diafine, which I can't really describe but is truly odd.)</p>

<p>Step #1 revealed why I don't like TMX or TMY in Diafine. In contrasty light both produced real problems with tonal separation in lower midtones, a nightmare to either scan or print in the darkroom. Lower midtones and shadows just smudged together. Highlights were held in check but I couldn't find any EI for those films in Diafine that I liked.</p>

<p>Not every film gets a boost in Diafine. Pan F+ was perfect right at ISO 50, while I'd had to rerate it to 25 with other developers for outdoor use in sunlight. Same with Delta 3200, which was perfect at 1600-3200. Similar tendency toward evening out skin tones without fine gradation as with Tri-X, but made it possible to shoot Delta 3200 in bright sunlight without worrying about excessive contrast or blocked up highlights. Very handy for me since sometimes I'd shoot all day at a local outdoor theatre or street fairs, starting with afternoon rehearsals and continuing into nighttime performances. No need to change films or techniques.</p>

<p>Lex, as always a wealth of knowledge - I appreciate the thoughtful and thorough (and as always insightful) answer. I think this developer may be fun (its odd that I have never used it in all this time), but the rolls of lucky I came by accidently, not sure I will ever get a chance to be that thorough with them unless more come my way, but it gives me a much better frame of reference of what to expect. Of course, they are not going to be any once-in-a-lifetime shots :) thanks again.</p>

<p>Lex speaks wisely. I also noticed the same thing about Ilford Pan F+. I used bracketing to arrive at the conclusion to rate the Pan F+ at box speed in Diafine. I also used this method to arrive at a rating I liked for Eastman 5222 in Diafine as well. <br>

Bottom line: some films get a speed boost, others are best at box speed, and a few even lose some speed. Bracket, and if you can post some results. Maybe submit your data to the Massive Development Chart.</p>

<p>The bracket idea is the right one. It will only use up a roll of film. That being said, I shot some Lucky SHD 100 at 100 and developed in Diafine. It came out fine. I might have been able to eek out some more speed, but it came out fine at 100 so I was happy.</p>