WedNEsDAy PiC #15

jose_angel

<p>WOW! Great stuff tonight! Beautiful landscape shots, vegetables, ceramics, greenery, dogs, flowers, etc! Great work! <br>

I thought I would try something different this time and give the birds a break, although I had some interesting shots I wanted to share. Not my style but it never hurts to try something new. It is fresh from the oven. I eventually took this shot around 3 hours after the thread had started. Just a very classic japanese play in a SPA deep in the middle of the Northern Japanese mountains. To be exact in Yamakoshi Mountains, Niigata Prefecture, in case some of you have ever been around here.  <br>

Funny thing, it was taken with my 300 combo. My bird combo. What can I say? A very versatile lens my AF-S 300 f/4. Some of you may think it is a very strange exposure: AP @ f/4 - 1/80s - Auto ISO 800 - EV-0.7 - NO flash <br>

I under exposed to decrease the ISO value and gain some speed. I don't know if this should had been done. Maybe some of you can guide me.<br>

Another great WeDNeSDaY PiC thread!</p><div>00T0Wy-123163584.jpg.8a23b71ee7d41e3ac17f479fc957ea08.jpg</div>

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Renee. Good try but I think you have it backwards. You want to overexpose which in turn causes you to either raise the iso or drop shutter speed or fstop. The noise is in the shadows which is more prevelent in under exposures. Anyone please come to my rescue if I am providing misinformation.</p>

<p>Anish,<br>

I'm not an expert by any means but correct exposure at high iso is crucial to image quality. I know metering is scene specific but I always found that a + 1/3 to 2/3 is pretty standard compensation on a D200 and D2H. When shooting at higher ISO this compensation might need to be raised further still. The tradeoff to this is slower shutter speed or loss of depth of field or noise. I guess at this point you need to choose the least of the evils for that particular scene. I for the most part solved this issue by going to a full frame sensor. I still run into these issues but not to the extent that I did with the D2 series sensors. </p>

<p>Rene', your shot is excellent. The lighting is very nice and the detail in the face and clothing is quite nice. You may get more detail on the chest by adjusting the highlights or using the recovery slider if you are using Aperture. I see almost no noise in this as you would expect from a D300 at iso 800. Dan's comment about "shooting to the right" of the luminance histogram is correct as you probably know. The more information that your camera records in the relatively underexposed areas of the frame, the less noise you will have at higher iso settings. But, you must take care not to push the histogram too far to the right because once you've blown the highlights, they are gone.<br>

As always, there are some very nice shots here again today! Too many to mention right now, but, Dave, I also have several shots of the Bellagio gardens from last week...Las Vegas provides a lot of photo opportunities!</p>

<p>HECTOR... Got you! No birds or pets this week! :) I love your shot! Thank you for waiting for my shot!<br>

SIMON... Same to you! Thank you! Now paying more attention... you are the ceramic shot one! :)<br>

DAN... Uhmmmm! Now I am confused! But with all my respect I think you got it wrong..... I gotta give it a though but I am sure other members will help with this...</p>

<p>As usual, too hard to mention the shots that stand out.... All I can say is that so far the work shown here is outstanding this week. You ALL should be proud. I think most of us are just amateurs but looking at what other people do inspire us and also helps us to improve and try other things. So far.... the best WeDNeSDaY PiC thread in my opinion.... and it can only get better! Great work everybody!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>@Jose: Every time I switch back to my AF-S lenses I get annoyed at how slow the AF is relative to screw drives. :-/</p>

<p>@Dan: Is that shiba pup?</p>

<p>@Shamsaldin: Really love the vibrant green and sharpness of the water droplets!</p>

<p>First time shooting models / using my SB600 this past weekend. :D</p><div>00T0Yl-123175584.jpg.124c53ba796a3062cfef299b6b1a9211.jpg</div>

<p>I took a trip to northeastern California this weekend. It's a very rural place with many wide valleys crossed by short mountain ranges. At first light I descended into this little valley with two lumber mills.</p>

<p>D90, 70-300mm VR @70mm, 1/40, f/5.6, ISO 320. I'm beginning to settle on ISO 320 as ISO 400 is a little noisy but I don't always need ISO 200. I've started using the 70-300 VR @70mm when I want my sharpest images -- it even beats out my 50mm f/1.8.</p><div>00T0Yq-123175784.jpg.ba3f3229d955d0688c4875db294cba42.jpg</div>

<p>Can't believe it is hump day already. Too many great shots already posted to address them individually - quite a diversity again. Went for a drive through the Los Padres Forest last Saturday - Happy Canyon/Figueroa Mountain to be exact - wildflowers blooming all over the place.<br>

D200 with 18-35/3.5-4.5 at 18mm, f10 - 5-exposure HDR</p><div>00T0Z4-123179584.jpg.348df2ee5b80f004a37a4e8569dea95f.jpg</div>

<p>AF-S lens focus speed varies from lens to lens, just as with regular AF glass. The 50/1.4G AF-S is quite slow in making major changes in distance, but tracks moving subjects well. The 50/1.8D is way faster in autofocus as is the 60/2.8G AF-S.</p>

<p>I'll post something shortly. It seems winter shots are finally giving in to spring here. I'll try to turn the tide backwards. ;-)</p>

<p>i got a kick out of watching this fellow showing off this past weekend -- he's quite the character. i found it difficult to capture the changing colors on the bird's breast as it leaned into the sun, but this one turned out reasonably well.</p><div>00T0aR-123191684.jpg.8b438acfd9b91e3b8ee3b98ca50aa8c5.jpg</div>

<p>Hello all. Amazing shots everyone. I really am shocked with the quality of the images week after week. My contribution is not quite as majestic as a New Zealand landscape. I took it about 15 minutes ago. I was inspired by Jose's kitchen shot.</p><div>00T0cI-123207584.jpg.1be8f1c620b38e256b126dfc2f8731ad.jpg</div>

<p>Well, it's definitely spring here in Texas, and anyone who's a Texan knows that you have to get your required Texas Bluebonnet pictures - the bee was my bonus for being diligent!</p>

<p>Awesome pics, everyone, as usual. Everyone inspires me and this Wednesday forum excites me each week!</p>

<p>Cynthia</p><div>00T0cg-123209684.thumb.jpg.ff932411354696bdf3351ebeb1d771f2.jpg</div>