Business lessons learned ?

natalie_l

<p>I was curious what lessons you learned when building your business or working with someone.  As I start building my business, I'm

trying to learn as much as possible on both the creative aspects, and fundamentals of owning and operating a successful

business.</p><p> I thought I would ask everyone what some of their most valuable lessons they learned over the years. I realize it may

not apply to me directly, but I'd love to hear about it.</p><p>Thanks for sharing!</p><p>Natalie</p>

<p>Always get it on paper.<br>

Never give it away for a promise of future work.<br>

Don't deliver the goods before being paid.<br>

Exceed the customer's expectations.<br>

There's more but I can't think of quick ways to say it. Remember "experience is what you get when you don't get what you want"</p>

<p><Chas><br /></p>

<p>Charles has an excellent list. Here are a few more.<br>

- Always be generous.<br>

- Always be fair.<br>

- Always try to accomodate the customer, even if the contract says otherwise.<br>

- Always do your best work.<br>

- Take the time you need to do it right.<br>

- Absolutely love your career, or don't get into it. It can be a cruel career for those not committed.<br>

- Learn to be a great marketer, or get used to living poor.</p>

<p>i'm getting into this business so here's what i have learned so far: understand the legality, familiar with copyrights, get your contracts and release forms signed, insure your equipment, and lastly don't expect to get rich but do expect to have the best time of your life.</p>

<p>I hope these tips will help you and your customers Nat:</p>

<ul>

<li>The customer is always right, (even when they are not.) </li>

<li>Give the customer more than they expect</li>

<li>Be willing to make a <em>little</em> less money to keep difficult customers satisfied, then learn how to avoid difficult customers. You don't have to take on every job you are presented with. </li>

<li>Follow-up with customers. Ask them to let you know if they were not satisfied</li>

<li>Choose a niche market where there is plenty of demand</li>

<li><strong>This one factor can make or break a business: </strong> Learn how to make your own Web pages, and more importantly learn how to make them do well on search engines for your targeted search strings. Good search engine strategy is your most effective free advertising. </li>

<li>Don't target the sector of the market which seeks the lowest price</li>

<li>Put family and your own need for R&R ahead of sales/profits </li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>When working with someone, get everything in writing before you begin (ie. make it a contract). No matter how good friends you may think you are, over time you'll be surprised how difference pop up. This will help understand each others expectation, so if someone drops the ball ... you have it in writing.</li>

<li>Work with non-competing but complimenting business' to help expand your network. If you decide to work with small events, then get involved with those other companies that make those events happen (ie. catering, halls, etc.). Help support other business in your local community as this can help you get work (ie. barter with them). I've done some food photography for local small restaurants for their menus or wall displays, in exchange for hanging some of my photos with contact information.</li>

<li>Try not to do too many gigs for friends / family, as this doesn't help you learn as much as you think. You're better off taking a some small gigs to learn about managing people and time, I found that to be a challenge with large groups.</li>

</ul>

<p>Everything above is great advice PLUS<br>

ALWAYS do the right thing -even if you have to lose money on the job. It will come back to you ten-fold.<br>

Under promise and Over deliver. Surprise your customer when the order is 2 weeks early!<br>

NEVER have more (time & money) invested in a job than your customer does.<br>

Do what your conscience tells you to do & continue to seek advice & knowledge from others.....-Aimee</p>

<p>Keep good records.</p>

<p>Friends make lousy customers, but customers make good friends.</p>

<p>My variation of a comment by J. Harrington is, "The customer is always entitled to the benefit of the doubt."</p>

<p>To quote Ricky Nelson, "You can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself."</p>

<p>From submitting my images to microstock sites I've learnt:<br>

1. Be patient<br>

2. Be persistent<br>

3. Be determinated<br>

4. Have always Plan "B"<br>

So if you consider starting "micro-business", keep in mind that you will need a long time to build a collection that will ensure you some income. Patience and determination are essential here.<br>

Do not stick to the biggest sites (like istock), whose data base got saturated, but try newer microsites like 123rf (they are not that picky, and my images there still sell). </p>

<p>From submitting my images to microstock sites I've learnt:<br>

1. Be patient<br>

2. Be persistent<br>

3. Be determinated<br>

4. Have always Plan "B"<br>

So if you consider starting "micro-business", keep in mind that you will need a long time to build a collection that will ensure you some income. Patience and determination are essential here.<br>

Do not stick to the biggest sites (like istock), whose data base got saturated, but try newer microsites like 123rf (they are not that picky, and my images there still sell). </p>

<p>We do primarily event/location work; after each event we usually sit down for a few minutes (though it can go up to an hour) to review the event. This review usually addresses planning, logistics, and technical considerations. We discuss both positive and negative, and compile them into a "lessons learned" document. Those documents are a valuable resource for learning and future planning. Keep a log of what works, and what doesn't work.<br>

Additionally, your business plan should be a "living document". Periodically review your business plan, update it as necessary to reflect any changes. For example, if we were primarily a portrait studio, but wanted to expand to include weddings, we would review and update our business plan (with heavy emphasis on the marketing plan) to reflect the additional services.</p>