How many pictures have you shot?

JTG1

I was just curious to see how many pictures people take and in what format: film vs. digital. I'm sure theres no real

way of knowing the exact amount, but a ball park number would work.

Myself, I cannot answer the film as I don't have everything scanned yet (I just shot 4x24 & 1x36 rolls on Wednesday

to add to my collection), however I have been shooting since at least 1974ish, albeit not as much as I have in digital.

In digital since 2002 I have 43,928 files, now this number also includes retouches and bad shots. So if you remove

say the 3,928 for the retouches, that gives me 40,000. I suppose thats a lot if you factor in I don't do this for a living,

just the passion.

~Jack

<p>A few thousand film frames. And I used an E995 for years and the file name counter went over 9999 and back to 0 3 times. Then a few thousand each on my SD500 and D60. But the only times I've had a decent percentage of keepers were when I was traveling with a memory card that wasn't big enough and the last few months as I've been getting back into film SLRs.</p>

<p>I typically have about 50K actuations a year (digital) but that's because I travel a lot and it includes bracketing shots, HDR, and fast frame action shots. Keep well under half of the total.</p>

<p>Film? It's in the mega thousands of negatives/slides over 25 yrs. That's a lot of scanning still left to do.</p>

<p>Looked at the figure yesterday. It was 6088 <strong>excluding</strong> work related images. The 6088 would probably be fairly evenly split between film and digital. The work related images would all be digital. I am becoming increasingly critical of the images I retain. I discard many, probably over 3/4 of all my shots.</p>

<p>I have no idea. In the last 6 months, about 3500 shots. Including winter, I only shot a little over 100 pages of 120 in the binder. Most of it is 645. Be about 1,500. I lost maybe 25+ feet of bulk 35mm to strips of test shots. A few days ago I had 500 digitals of one setup of glasses of water. A few weeks ago, I remember one setup that took me three hours to finally get on with it and trip the shutter. I only have about 5K digitals in the computer. Keep in mind, though, that there is a lot of duplicity in there. If I do a setup, there might be ten shots off of that thing.</p>

<p>My interest in photography has been intermittent, with long periods, years, of not even touching a camera. This past year has been unusual, with more of an increase. In the past, I was either interested in other things, or not affluent enough to devote resources to this. I know in the past I have lost entire boxes of negatives and prints. I have no idea what the total is, but I do not want anyone to be under the impression that it is a big number.</p>

<p>I had one good one when I was fourteen; and, I had another good one last summer. Most of the rest of it has been average.</p>

<p>I have shot 6500 in the last two years. I just have 1 camera and it's the D200 so it's easy to know exactly..No labs around within a reasonable distance so I sold off my 35mm and medium format gear a while back. I miss the medium format. </p>

<p>About a month and a half ago I shot about 35 000 photos in a single weekend on a Canon Mark 1DS III. Since 2006, when I first started digital, I think I've shot probably 60,000 on my own personal cameras (initially the D70s, and now the D300,) plus, say, another 20 000 on cameras borrowed on a sub-contract job here and there.<br>

I will say that on the weekends shooting 35 000 images, there are chunks of time when one's concentration level drops, and so does the quality. It becomes quite a different kind of photography.</p>

<p>Interesting question to post by the way : ) </p>

<p>I have ~18000 files on my photo drive. Accounting for files that are not photos or are friend's photos, retouches, id say i have probably 17300 frames. Probably 100-200 are film, but i've only been shooting film for about 2 years now. I've been going through and deleting a bunch of images recently though.</p>

<p>I don't have any idea how many images but I have been doing 35mm since 1968 and digital for 2 years. When I did B&W film, I used to buy 100ft rolls of film and load my own spools. I would typically go thru 10-20 rolls a year and did that volume for about 6 years. Color was expensive and I probably did 60 - 100 rolls a year mostly for family snapshots and some general art photography. I did weddings for a few years and typically shot 300 color exposures per wedding. I used to do 2 or 4 weddings a month on a partime basis. Now that I look back, a lot of exposures!</p>

<p>About 40000 on film, 80000 on digital. Of the film, most is 35mm, some 6x7. I bracket focus and exposure often and used to shoot in-camera dupes on film. I often shoot relatively low-yield subjects such as concert photography (on digital, of course) which partly explains the relatively high numbers. </p>