Pocket Digitals with Pano Capability in 2009

<p>Hi, Photo.Net Folks,<br>

Can folks suggest a good pocket digital that will shoot panoramic images....especially for action shots of my doggies where stitching won't work (like at the race track...if i ever went anyplace fun).<br>

<strong>PRIOR SEARCHES:</strong> I did search on Photo.Net...and i hate to go over to listen to the squabbling chidred on DPReview.com. But this is 2009, so perhaps there are some newer solutions (e.g., the Fujifilm FinePix F810 Zoom may be out of production, i must check.)<br>

<a href="../digital-camera-forum/00BT3V">http://www.photo.net/digital-camera-forum/00BT3V</a><br>

<strong>REASON:</strong> I just want a good camera for no fuss shoooting of action shots.<br>

<strong>SOFTWARE STITCHING:</strong> Yes, I know about stitching images, and I use PanaView ImageAssembler. But, that won't work so well for shots with lots of movementl<br>

<strong>SCANING HUGE FILM:</strong> I use Gaorsi, Shen-Hao, WidePan, and Horizon cameras for film image scanning to plop on the wall...but, I'm just looking for a handy product.<br>

Thanks for your help!<br>

Robt.<br>

<a href="../digital-camera-forum/00BT3V"></a></p>

<p>On some P&S cameras the pano mode is cropping but the LX2 and LX3 are different. The LX2 has a 16:9 sensor. When you shoot 3:2 or 4:3 you are actually cropping down. The LX3 does things a little differently where all modes are crops. You'll have to see the diagram for a better explanation.</p>

<p>http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicDMCLX3/images/asp/AR.jpg</p>

<p>Thank you, Walt!<br>

Those diagrams help a lot. <br>

I was indeed checking out the Panasonic LX-2 and LX-3 options (the LX-3 is out of stock everywhere).<br>

But, from those diagrams, it looks like the LX-2 would provide a better pano image than the LX-2 anyway.<br>

Or am I misinterpreting the 16:9 aspect ratio and Megapixels described on that diagram.<br>

Thanks again!<br>

Robt.</p>

<p>Thanks, Michael,<br>

Those video demos of the Sony DSC-HX1 are cool. Pretty amazing camera...at a reasonable price, considering that's just a little more than the price of the Horizon Swing-Lens 35 mm camera...which requires either a tripod or careful handholding to produce a dependable image. Indeed, this Sony digital may even correct a person's handshakes to some extent. i wonder....<br>

Sigh...so many cameras, so little money.<br>

:)<br>

R</p>

<p>You might also consider the Ricoh GX200, not "pano" as such, but a 24 - 72mm (equiv) zoom range.</p>

<p>I agree with what Walt said about autofocus, action photography, and digital compacts. However, some of the compacts can be preset to a manually focused distance which, given the extraoradinary depth of field they enjoy at wide angle, may level the playing field for you.</p>