Kodachrome Developing

<p>Okay, okay. I'm in the middle of shooting images for a Leica MP & Kodachrome "Filmtown" article. The people at Dwaynes thus far haven't bothered to reply to me regarding processing and answering some questions regarding their future intentions on Kodachrome processing. If they continue to ignore me, I'll try using Wal-Mart and see what happens.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Have you tried to call them? I don't think anyone really knows the future of Kodachome and Kodachrome processing.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Calling tends to get one to a customer service person, that's not who I need to talk to. Our ad guys have had conversations with Dwaynes honchos in the past. I used their contact info and never heard back. I hould probably try again at some point.</p>

<p>I had a talk with the Kodak film heads at PMA last month. Their stance was essentially that as long as they sell enough of it, and as long as dwaynes wants to keep processing it, there will be kodachrome.</p>

<p>I always request that my Kodachrome return uncut and unmounted when I write up the bag at W*M, and so far have had no problems. <br>

As has been mentioned before, trusting it to the USPS worries me much more than taking it to Wallyworld, and since the price is better there, it's a no-brainer IMO.</p>

<p>I think it would have been helpful to tell Ryan when at his WalMart to be sure to fill out a <em>Kodak </em>envelope for his Kodachrome, and to place same in the <em>Kodak </em>kiosk's slot. When getting your Kodachrome developed and mounted in this manner, it will come back in a crappy plastic box. You can use the same technique at K-Mart for a little more money, and you will get it back in the familiar Kodak yellow box.<br>

Thought I would try this technique at my local Shaw's food store. When I brought the Kodachrome in to be dropped off last week, there was a sign on the kiosk that read informed me the previous day was the last day they would be sending out film for development to Kodak, period. So I sent it directly to Dwayne's via USPS. Got an email from the developer yesterday advising that it was processed and on the way home. Most of my USPS experiences have been good ones, don't think they lost or damaged a single roll of my film in 35+ years. </p>

<p ><em>"</em><a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=908224"><em>Fred Obturateur</em></a><em> </em><a href="http://www.photo.net/member-status-icons"></a><em>, Apr 02, 2009; 09:08 a.m.":-</em></p>

<p><em>"True but it's a tad more complex than this : in Europe Kodachrome's retail price includes Dwayne's processing and the air fare. Sounds good? Not really since the price of one Kodachrome film is about 17€/22$..."</em><br>

Surely not....I've never seen a price anywhere near that. <br>

<a href="http://www.7dayshop.com">www.7dayshop.com</a> supply process-paid K64 36exp at £7.99 per roll, including delivery (and that's after a recent price increase from Kodak). That's about 9 euros or $12...the only extra cost is a postage stamp to Switzerland.</p>

<p >SFAIK, K64 is the lowest-priced process-paid film available here in the UK.</p>

<p>Yes, includes transit from Kodak Switzerland to-and-from Dwaynes, and post back to UK. It really is a bargain, and quite surprising in view of the $-£ relationship in respect of imported goods!<br>

Most UK dealers are a tad more expensive than 7-day-shop (who are based in Guernsey so can supply to the UK without VAT...our version of sales tax). Maximum shop price I've seen is at "Boots" (national pharmacy/household chain), about $18 equivalent per film, but even they currently do a three-films-for-the-price-of-two offer.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Sounds good? Not really since the price of one Kodachrome film is about 17€/22$..."</em> <br /> Surely not....I've never seen a price anywhere near that.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>23 euros (135/36) in a Finnish brick&mortar. How's that for laughs?</p>

<p>9 euros in UK? Time for some online shopping it seems...</p>

<p>In Australia post it to...<br>

Kodak Australia<br>

Po Box 2708<br>

Southport QLD 4215<br>

They still honour the prepaid mailers. They send it off to the US for processing (via Switzerland I believe!!). The last time I did it, which was June 2008, my slides arrived in the mail about five or six weeks later.</p>