can i reuse film developer ?

tom_vin

<p>should i reuse film developer?</p>

<p>its a kodak professional developer.</p>

<p>i have this http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=203346061&listingid=36227487&dcaid=17902</p>

<p>and i made 1 gallon.</p>

<p>sooo...if i dont reuse it, isnt it gonna go away really ? since im developing 120 film. it takes 16oz every time i develop a roll.</p>

<p>please advice me<br>

thank you</p>

<p>I find that if I reuse any developer for more than three rolls the chances of it failing increase significantly. That said, some solutions are more forgiving than others. Overall, considering the number of films I have trashed with poor developer are good enough reason not to try to reuse the chem forever. Developer is cheap; use it once, maybe twice, then drop it in a slop bucket. Maybe you can boost the pH and use it for paper developer if you are really hot about reusing. Overall, it's a good way to lose a day's worth of shots in a few minutes. Use fresh when you can.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/chemistry/bwFilmProcessing/tMax.jhtml"><strong>Kodak's website</strong> </a> provides extensive, explicit documentation and technical information for all of their photo chemistry, including whether the developer in question can be reused or replenished and the appropriate products and instructions for replenishing. While Kodak's site can be cumbersome to navigate, going directly to the source can help minimize guesswork and speculation. Technical data is usually provided in both HTML and PDF formats.</p>

<p>That said, if the T-Max developer seems expensive to use according to standard practices, you may find another developer that is more economical. Check the <a href="http://www.freestylephoto.biz/index.php"><strong>Freestyle</strong> </a> site for prices and look at the Clayton products as well.</p>

<p>If you are willing to risk a few rolls of film in testing you can test for yourself the effects of reusing a working strength developer solution. However, this may be false economy since in saving money on developer you will run the risk of wasting film that may not turn out well.</p>

<p>If you want to reuse developer over and over again, use Diafine - the stuff lasts forever and is ridicuslously easy to use - you can even develop different B&W films in the same tank. I don't shoot enough B&W film to use up 1 gallon of any developer quickly, so I switched to Diafine and am quite happy with it. It gives a boost to most films' speed rating (you can shoot TrX anywhere from 400 to 1600 ISO and develop in Diafine - the negs will be printable.</p>

<p>It's not for everyone, because you can't really use Adam's Zone system - there is no N- or N+ development with Diafine!</p>

<p>yeah i was going to suggest diafine.</p>

<p>My personal opinion is that negatives are irreplacable and not something you want to take risks with. I'd prefer higher dilutions and longer development times rather than re-using because you get consistency.</p>

<p>I used the same gallon of D-76 to process over 100 rolls, in a commercial situation. You have to add developer time for each roll. Memory says it was 13 1/2 seconds for each roll that had previously been souped in that gallon. It is a safe practice to continue for up to six months.</p>