WedNEsDAy PiC #13

jose_angel

To John : "....did you get taken to their leader?"

LOL , no, but my wife is not convinced (eversince I bought my D3). Beautifull furr , funny picture.

Thanks Lil , gracious image (as always)

Georg S. , a perfect shot (colours, composition, tehnique , message)

This "Wednesday pic", was the best ! So many excellent pictures..., you guys make this day unique.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>So many great shots! Love this thread. Took a series of piano shots at my friends house. Have fun ... Ray.<br>

Wayne ... great scene.<br>

Richard ... nice ice.<br>

Andy ... very cool shot.<br>

Christoph ... now that's a portrait. I envy a talented portrait shooter!<br>

George S ... love the action.</p>

<div>00Ssfd-119645584.jpg.bf3a630e165fa0d6778ca8cb4851c074.jpg</div>

<p>Ray,<br>

Thanks! I have two words for you: Helmut Newton. Imitation is the purest form of flattery.<br>

Okay, that was nine words!<br>

I was pressed for time during that studio lighting workshop, teams were about to change, so I quickly moved one softbox each to either side of the model, got down low and told her to scowl at me. Sometimes the things we do quickly are best.</p>

<p>Since we missed a couple of weeks I thought I'd take the opportunity to post another shot from Angkor Wat earlier this month. There are endless corridors and mysterious doorways there. This one is on the temple's south side. The alley on the right, just beyond the posts, is decorated with the most elaborate and lengthy bas relief. If you were impressed with the Bayeux tapestry, you need to see what they did in stone 1,000 years ago.</p><div>00Sspw-119693684.jpg.7ac484929925d78f9e1331aeaf5c6214.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Dan S.,<br>

In order to get the correct white balance settings for indoor shots I set the camera's white balance by shooting a gray card. I also shoot everything in raw so that I can tweak the color balance by adjusting the RGB settings of different areas of the photo (I use Adobe Camera Raw). Shades of white, gray and black have equal RGB values so if you can find those areas in the photo, you can adjust the color balance accordingly. I like to set the white balance and exposure manually so I get consistent results for mutiple indoor shots. Beware, however, that high capture rates (I can capture images at 8 frames/second) will 'see' the cycling of the lights so they cast different colors. Those frames will have to be individually adjusted to produce true color. Hope that helps!.....Steve K </p>

<p>Simon... Hi there! Yeah! I really think it is the best choice for those who can't pay 8 Ks for a 500 mm lens. If you go that way I will recommend a 1.4x TC instead of 1.7x. The reason being that early in the morning or late in the evening when is dark the lens start hunting too much. With a 1.4x TC your aperture stays at f/5.6 which is acceptable. With a 1.7x the fastest is f/6.7. </p>

<p>Jeff... nice!</p>

<p>Hi Pedro, your post reminds me that my wife told me about some german family living in Japan who take a walk almost everyday even in rain or storm.<br /> Hi Nick, I've never seen such a cat shot. Interesting.<br /> Here's my shot on a weekend walk of a sign that Spring has come.<br /></p><div>00StFP-119847584.jpg.e052ce855b94d6086279a739ebe1b70c.jpg</div>

<p>I didn't have time to really look or comment this morning, only to get my post up on my way out the door.<br /> <br /> As usual, wonderful work here. For a weekly group of submissions, I never stop being impressed by the great photography shared here.<br /> <br /> Jose, I love the lamp, very abstract shot that grabbed my interest right away. If you hadn't told me it was a lamp, I wouldn't have known ;)</p>

<p>Gary M, great composition! That lake looks like a nice place to spend some time.</p>

<p>Doug S, great portrait of the goose, nice detail. I'm still looking for permission to get closer (private property).</p>

<p>George S, great pan shot. Those are so hard. You have done an amazing job capturing the motion while keeping the subjects sharp.</p>

<p>Dan S, the angle you photographer the building at makes me very uncomfortable when looking at the image. This is a good thing though, because it makes me want to look even longer. Great job.</p>

<p>Mark D, I hope you gave them your business card!</p>

<p>As I see every week, not a bad photo in the lot. Great work everyone, and thanks for sharing.</p>

<p>Sorry for such a late post. WedNEsDAy PiC has turned into one of my favorite 'forums.' Tremendous variety and talent shown by everyone. I'm amazed at the consistently great photos given the wide variety of equipment used and the wide variety of photography experience of the participants. WedNEsDAy PiC's proves it's the photographer's eye that makes the picture, not the equipment used.</p>

<p>This was taken on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon on Wednesday 3/18.</p><div>00Su3M-120137584.JPG.7dd39b99e184658d69a06c317c5079f9.JPG</div>

<p><strong>Another reminder from your humble moderator:</strong></p>

<p><em>Please keep the file sizes </em> <em><strong>under 300 KB</strong> </em> . That should be plenty for JPEGs up to 700 pixels wide. I see most are closer to 100 KB but a few folks are pushing the margins. (And, no, I'm not going to point fingers and let's please refrain from doing so even in jest.)</p>

<p>Right now it's taking 87 seconds to load this page from a clean cache (much shorter when it's cached, of course). When it approaches two minutes I may have to consider deleting oversized photos or shutting down the threads a bit sooner. I don't want to impose any hard limits or photo upload deadlines since folks are enjoying this so much (which I find delightful!). But in the interest of expediency I may need to consider closing the weekly threads by the weekend following each Wednesday as these threads grow in popularity.</p>

<p>So, please, check your file sizes before uploading. Thanks.</p>