Minolta XE-7, The Crown Jewel of the SR Line.

• 2 weeks later...
<p>It is a jewel indeed Ralf.Robust construction, reliable, simple, a great film SLR for someone to start with and learn about photography.I use four younger sisters of the XE-7, the X-700, 7xi, Dynax 7 and Dynax 7D.Sony now carries this Minolta tradition and i expect great things of them in future, in digital area of course as expected.With a wide angle or normal 1.4 - 2.8 Minolta lens it can create masterpieces.The samples that i saw prove it.Regards</p>
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

<p>The XE-7 is a delight. I own the evil twin Leica R3 and am so impressed by that camera that I ordered a mint XE-7 and some Rokkor wides (24/2.5, 28/2.5) and the magic 58/1.4 to fill in the gaps in my Leica R lens collection (35, 50, 90, 135). Leica has a wonderful 28/2.8, but it is roughly 12 times the price of the Rokkor and no better. The Leica 24/2.8 IS THE SAME LENS as the Rokkor 24.</p>

<p>The two areas of disappointment in the XE-7 compared to the R3 is that it lacks the Leica's selectable spot metering (R3 shares the CLC system when set to average) and its finish is much more delicate, brassing almost instantly where the Leica, even after 35 years, still looks new despite heavy use.</p>

<p>I also own newer cameras in both systems (X-570 for Minolta and R6 for Leica R), but there is just something special about the XE-7/R3 twins that the newer models can't match.</p>

• 2 years later...
<p>Bought my XE-7 in 1975 and now forty years later, it works and looks like new. Once in a while I shoot a few rolls of film, and the results are extraordinary, getting my images put on a CD. Great camera, especially with the Copal-Leitz shutter.</p>
  • Like 1

• 6 years later...
I started with Minolta back in 1972 and had an XE-7. It was a really outstanding camera. My gripe with Minolta was the lenses. Acceptably sharp but prone to flare and ghosts. I switch to Nikon in 1975 and never looked back.

FWIW I like the XD-7 best and would say, from a small sampling, Minolta is OK (better than Olympus OM, for example) on coating related issues like veiling flare.

• Like 1

I also have an XD-5 which I like, but I find the film advance smoother in the XE series. A further thought about the XE series- It would have been interesting if Minolta could have taken the XK shutter (titanium with top 1/2000 second) and put it into an XE. Maybe call it the XE-9. The XD-5, btw, with the 45mm f 2 MD Rokkor makes a nice combination.
  • Like 1

Old thread but for the record the XE7 has the smoothest film advance I have ever had the pleasure of using. Mine developed a serious malfunction of the electronics rendering the camera near useless unfortunately. I still own and use a XD which is a beautiful camera but cannot compete with the XE7 when it comes to that amazing film advance.
  • Like 1

Old thread but for the record the XE7 has the smoothest film advance I have ever had the pleasure of using. Mine developed a serious malfunction of the electronics rendering the camera near useless unfortunately. I still own and use a XD which is a beautiful camera but cannot compete with the XE7 when it comes to that amazing film advance.

Agree - the electronics can be a problem in this line, but when they work, they are a joy to use.