Minolta XE1 and Steam Toys

John Seaman

<p >The Minolta XE1 was developed in a joint project with Leica which also resulted in the similar Leica R3. Although it's an aperture priority automatic/manual camera, the whole style, build quality, smoothness and weight are pure classic. I was undecided for a while, whether to put it in the Classic Manual forum, but it's clearly a Modern Film Camera by the accepted definitions. Mine has the MC Rokkor PF 50mm f1.7 lens.</p><div>00bKaX-518819584.jpg.2219095a5df12ca35bb76b083c7ee4df.jpg</div>

<p >The back, showing the main switch, eyepiece blind, and battery check on the side. The viewfinder shows the selected shutter speed and aperture, and the measured shutter speed via a needle on the right. The focusing screen has a horizontal split image focusing aid. The whole camera has just enough automation to make photography a pleasure, without any kind of complexity or gimmicks getting in the way.</p>

<p > </p><div>00bKaa-518819784.jpg.91026d931ca14b302da4c03ee65c7c53.jpg</div>

<p >I loaded it with a Fuji Neopan 400CN C41 black and white film, and took it to Steam Toys in Action, an excellent event at the Abbey Pumping Station Museum, Leicester. Its always nice to have automatic exposure for this type of shooting, where lighting levels are variable, and mostly very low. You can concentrate on composing the pictures without constantly fiddling with the settings.</p><div>00bKab-518821584.jpg.1f5f86749ca6d311b96f1b22ca0ee237.jpg</div>
  • Like 1

<p>I have an XE-1 with the 50mm f1.4 lens. I bought it as I couldn't afford prime Nikkor lenses but similarly specified Rokkors were around 1/4 to 1/2 the price.<br>

I have too much stuff now Including my father's Nikon Fs so I have my XE-1 on ebay at the moment.<br>

<br />Part of me is hoping it doesn't sell!</p>

<p>Thanks to all for the comments Much appreciated.</p>

<p>I would like an f1.4 lens for it. I've got a fair number of MC/D lenses but tend to use the 50mm most, although I used a 28mm for the Meccano series. I think XE1 is the European designation, having had two of them. Another thought - the black covering over the pentaprism housing reminds me of those vinyl roofed cars which were popular in the 1970's.</p>