Best place to buy Ilford film in Beijing?

mikey_ang

<p>I'll be going to Beijing in a few weeks, and I'll only have one free day to go look for film. Ilford film is pretty rare where I live, so I'm going to have to do my purchases in Beijing, and I've no idea where to go. HP5, Pan F, Deltas.. I'll probably stock up on all the 35mm film they have. Anyone have any recommendations on where I should look?<br>

My girlfriend is currently living there, but she gets lost pretty easily and doesn't really know anything about film, so I'm hesitant to make her look for this herself. If you guys can provide good directions, I guess I could force her to go look for me.:D</p>

<p>PS. What's the best b&w film for landscape photography? I've never used b&w for landscape before, and want to try it out. I'll be going to Tibet after Beijing.</p>

<p>Thanks to all who respond.:)</p>

<p>Mikey,<br>

<br /> I havent lived in Beijing since the end of 2004 but I used to buy Ilford film there from the location below. They still exist on the web site and maybe you can work out if they still sell film.<br /> -----------------------------------<br /> About a 15/20min walk north of Wangfujing mall on Wangfujing St. It is South of Zhongzizhong Rd and North of Dongsixi St and the last lane on the right (heading north) before Wangfujing St turns 90 degrees to the left. The lane sign is "Cuifu Jie Dao" and on the the corner is a book store "San Lian Dong Shu Dian" Book Store East. The Photography store is about 30 mtrs down on the left.</p>

<p>The official address of the lab, which seems a little different from walking instructions but probably makes sense to locals, is:<br /> <br /> Xiang Sheng Hang<br /> No. 22 Mei Shu Guan Dong Jie,<br /> Dong Cheng Qu<br /> Beijing<br /> (010) 8403 4138<br /> www.xsh.net.cn</p>

<p>Upon closer inspection it turns out the website is an auctioning website. Hopefully the shop is still around and they still sell Ilford films. I'll ask my girlfriend to pay the store a visit, and report back here about what she finds out.</p>

<p>For the past many many years, the biggest photography market has been the Beijingshi Sheying Qicai Cheng (北京市摄影器材城). They have everything, including Ilford films there. It is roughly 1 km north of the Wukesong (五棵松) subway station (line 1), on the east side of the western fourth ring (following me?:-). If you are going from the south, you pass a bridge above a small canal (which appears to be dry on the latest satellite images) just before you get there. You can just type "Beijing Wukesong" in Google Earth or something to find it. I haven't been there for a long time, but I know from many different sources that it is still there.</p>

<p>I had great luck with this place in 2006 and then again in 2009.</p>

<p>In Beijing you can get black & white film at www.photochance.com and you can call them at 010-8434138/84033426/84044540. I was able to buy black & white film in Shanghai too. I took my own film but wanted to see some of the photo labs and shops. Most were very rude but that's just China;-0. On the IR film you will be better off bringing it. All my film were hand check and didn't have any problem at all. I even let some get X-Ray at the check in and shot it and they are great as well as the hand check. I'll be back for Beijing 2008 China Summer Olympics;-)<br>

www.photochance.com/en/</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Xiang Sheng Hang doesn't sell film anymore; only equipment. Their neighboring store, Wan De (i think) also no longer sells Ilford film. My girlfriend is going to pay a visit to 北京市摄影器材城 right now (literally right now as of this post). Hopefully she'll find something there.:)</p>