Help me pick my first alternative Camera

<p>I am interested in getting involved with medium format. I do street photography, fine art, documentary.<br>

I would like to try my hand at maybe a Holga, or Diana etc but cant decide which. I already develope my own 35mm film at home in a changing bag, and then scan it, so I assume I can do the same with medium format except I may need a different reel?<br>

any advice would be appreciated.</p>

<p>Buy one of them and see if you like it. People will have their personal favorites but they aren't you. I know people that shoot both for their different personalities. Both cameras are cheap enough that you won't be investing too much money. If you go to toy camera sites you can see their looks (as much as you can online), but nothing beats hands on.</p>

<p>There was/is a book by the Lomographic Society called "Don't Think Just Shoot". This is the perfect attitude for toy camera photography.</p>

<p>What 35mm do you use? how fast is the lens? I do much with a damn old Yashica A. I like the Holga I have but the lens is slow... It is great if I am pushing my film You need a reel that takes 120 to use a Holga... Like said I find I have more fun though with my Kiev 88 and Yashica A than with any 35mm I have...</p>

<p>Holgas are excellent! Developing 120 film is much easier than 35mm. The Dianas (I'm guessing the new models) allow for all sorts of add-ons. Alternatively, try one of the many cheap 6x6 cameras for sale on eBay such as Agfa Isolette, Agfa Click, Agfa Ansco, Agfa Isola, Agfa Chief, Yashica TLR, Lubitel, Moskva, Foitzik, etc, etc.<br>

If you have a bit more to spend, get a cheapish Bronica.</p>

<p>A Holga is cheap enough that you should just buy one with a couple of rolls of Tri-X 400 and give it a go: you can probably do that for under $40.<br>

With regards to developing 120 film: the reel is indeed bigger than the one you use for 35mm. If you use the Paterson plastic reels for 35mm, then you won't need to buy a new one since you can convert between formats by twisting one half of the reel clockwise until it unsnaps, pulling the two halves apart, and snapping back aften extending. I find that loading the reel is a little trickier with 120 than 35mm, simply because the film is wider and can curl a bit more. The Paterson Universal Tank will let you develop a single roll of 120. Note that you will need a larger volume of chemicals.<br>

Enjoy!</p>

<p>Skip those overpriced pieces of plastic crap! Go with a box camera...an authentic cardboard piece of crap!<br>

Seriously. You can get 3 or 4 box cameras for the price of one Holga. Make sure you get the ones that take 120 film (there will be plenty to choose from). Some you can vary the aperture so you have some control. Most have no ability to focus (some would say the same of the Holga). Some have a swing in lens for close ups. You will generally get a bigger negative to fool around with (at the price of having less exposures per roll).<br>

If you are into modding your camera, you can do just about anything you can do to a holga.<br>

Best of all, you won't look like some wannabe hipster craving acceptance within some artsy community. Instead you will be an actual hipster starting your own artsy community!</p>

<p>I'll leave the recommendations to the rest of you, but if you're going to buy a Holga, I would really recommend buying the most basic model, without the flash. Natural light photography trumps flash any day, in just about any situation.</p>

<p>I agree with some of the comments about buying a cheap old box camera built anywhere between the 1920's to the 1960's, or older if you like. You can find them for about $10 or less at times and they use medium format film.<br>

I also agree about looking for cheap plastic point and shoot 35mm cameras at thrift stores. Every time I go to a thrift store there are piles of Vivitar 2011 and Argus 520 plastic point and shoot cameras for $2, and these cameras give you some nice effects. </p>

<p>Box cameras are horrible to use because of the crappy little viewfinders. Folding camera with an optical or sports finder are much better to shoot and usually have better lenses and speeds. I like my Franka Rolfix and Ansco Speedex.<br>

I personally like the look of the Holga with the glass lens, better contrast and center sharpness than the plastic lens and blurrier corners... pleasing to my eye... that would be my vote to start with.<br>

An Agfa Click or Clack is another old idea.<br>

Something about the reissue Diannas that I don't like... it's really just me. It's a crappy camera copied from an old crappy camera... produced just to make money. I think I'd feel like a sucker buying one.<br>

Don't get a Holga with the flash or the crappy color things... they are just gimicks. If you find you need a flash for your Holga, better to put one on the hotshoe... and a $10 Vivitar bounce will give you pleasing flash images instead of a crappy thing right over your lens.<br>

I don't think cheap plastic 35's have the same charm as medium format crappy cameras.</p>

<p>Crappy cameras can be fun and rewarding (well... kind of)... just do it!</p>

<p>how about an old roll film polaroid converted to take 120 film. They are simple to use, take nice pictures and look really kool. You can also try one of the many types of 620 cameras out there. Most are really inexpensive. An Argus 75 or a Kodak Duaflex are kool looking box cameras with nice bright finders. Or if you want a polaroid Pinhole camer that will use the still available pack film Fuji maks, let me know i have a colorpack. If your interisted in any of the above mentioned im going to be selling Mine ..lol I need to sell my things.</p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>try some cheap German viewfinders, then service the lens yourself. I did and now the front element wobbles and the distances don't look so accurate. The one second shutter speed was 3 seconds but after my service is now 1 second. Unfortunately so are most of the other shutter speeds. It was/is a Balda, so looks gorgeous anyway. And let me know how it goes, then I might try it myself.</p>