Marketing Images of a Historical Event

hudef

<p>Back on Jan 20 I photographed the street scene (within view of the Capitol Building) at the presidential inauguration. Many images focused on Obama paraphernalia-clad celebrants as well as parade participants. I also captured any event-defining elements such as CNN man-in the street interviews as well as pictures of the president and his daughters riding in a limo in the parade. <br /> <br /> The pictures were shot with a 5DMll and a 40D using L glass. Over 1200 pictures were taken, with over 500 being excellent(in my estimation). Assuming that these images are as excellent as I claim them to be, I would welcome any suggestions as to how to best market them.</p>

<p>Thanks for the suggestion, Michael. But I suspect that the Obama fever for memorabelia may have passed. I was wondering what stock agencies specialize in the long term marketing of historical events. Or if there are other cultural archival organizations such as the Smithsonian Institute that may have interest in purchasing the whole series.</p>

<p>Here's the problem you have. Photo buyers go to Reuters, AP, Getty, Magnum, etc. for news/event images, whether new or archived. These agencies have huge libraries of images from the inauguration that buyers already access. Why would any other agency take on photographs, especially from a photographer they don't already deal with?<br /> <br /> Also, The Smithsonian seems to have lost interest in inaugurations over the last ten years or so.</p>

<p>Alex:</p>

<p>Sounds like a classic supply/demand problem. Except the real problem is that there is a limitless supply of pictures of Obama's inauguration. I'm not sure the demand is that great. You're well past the time when the pictures are newsworthy. Unless you have signed releases of all recognizable people, you can't use them commercially.</p>

<p>To recap, that's a no on editorial use. No on commercial. Not much else left out there.</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p>A day late and a dollar short here. I think the market for inauguration pictures peaked on about Jan. 21 or 22. You might find a home for them in one of the already overloaded stock houses, but don't expect much in the way of sales. Noone is writing about the event now, so they don't need pictures now.</p>

<p><Chas></p>