Print Size Philosophy

jpb

<p>What's your sizing philosophy?</p>

<p>I recently produced a small series of highly marketable images, for which I’m putting together a plan to sell some prints, both individually and in series. The photos are extremely sharp and can be enlarged as much as reasonably desired, and they are also dramatic enough to look good in smaller sizes. The images are composed edge to edge, and so, seemingly, my only limitation is wanting to maintain the native aspect ratio,</p>

<p>I’ve identified my market and am now lining up my print options, for which I‘m considering a small, medium, and large versions, framed and unframed.</p>

<p><strong>So, my question is, given very broad technical limitations, and wanting to offer a selection of print sizes, how would YOU decide exactly what sizes to offer?</strong></p>

<p>If you don't want to compromise the images by cropping, then your answer is fairly simple; stick to sizes that match your aspect ratio, i.e., 4 X 6, 6 X 9, 8 X 12, 10 X 15, 12 X 18, etc.</p>

<p>Many online mat/frame companies make mats and frames in 2:3 aspect ratios for many/most popular frame sizes.</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<p>James:<br>

I think I will put the questions like this:<br>

What is maketable to you? Or better, who are your audience? What is a good sale? A profit of $100? $500, or $2000?<br>

What kind of images? What I mean is are these images for a selected group where you know they will pay big dollars? Are they on sale in a gallery only? Are you offering though your website, then how much traffic do you get on your website? <br>

These are the things I have to ask myself when I had my first art show and doing my website. <br>

There is really no correct or wrong answer - this is REALLY up to you. You have to decided what kind of sales and/or margin you like. <br>

My advice to you is think about your images first - what is the perfect size that goes with it. Forget about profit for now because it will distract you from the purpose of creation which will kill your joy. Once you decided on the size, think about this: how much you would you like to get pay for an hour of your creativity? Multiply that for each hour you spent on your images than add on the print cost. If you are presenting your images as series and would like to make them the same size, even your cost out. <br>

Make money, make it smart. But don't forget if your photos/images make people happy, it has done a great deal.<br>

Cheers,<br>

Julie</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I don't have one....whatever the image ends up...."it is what it is" so to speak but this doesn't require custom framing by any means (yes it does sometimes) depending on how strict you stay to the rules of matting. I sell lots of images that are printed on 13 x 19 paper which mats and frames nicely up to 18 x 24 etc... Going down in size is the same...</p>

<p>This applies only to "fine art" portraits of course, you must stick to standard sizing</p>

<p>He pitches another 2 pennies ;)</p>

<p>I find that I crop to whatever ratio suits the picture best. I do usually crop to the standard 8x10, 11x14, 16x20, but if the picture warrants it, I will crop to 11x17, 13x19, 16x24. To me, it's more important that the frame is at the right proportion for the image. The overall impact of the image is much more important than the aspect ratio. Remember, mattes can be cut to any size, and so can frames if you deal with a good frame shop. Play with the cropping until it looks perfect to you, then worry about framing. Remember, you don't have to stick to the standards. If your print looks perfect at 11 1/2 by 21" then the frame and matte should be built around that. You are the artist, don't compromise if it detracts from your work.</p>