Leica stopping the R line

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>They've got the M8 going and they're trying to get the S2 off the ground, so I don't think they would have the resources to develop a digital R at present. And they would not sink money in more stocks of a film SLR. So I guess the headline is correct.</p>

<p>Film cameras except for few exceptions do not sell. Leica will sell off or have sold off what is already made and go on to build a R series DSLR with all new autofocus lenses. <br>

There will be the M series, digi+film, DSLR R and S series. They have already announced the R10 digi is coming, but then economic conditions have changed since then. <br>

It is very hard to tell how the recession will effect them and being a private company, how much capital they have. This might be the end of Leica as we know it or they maybe will raise capital to get through it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I expect a smaller version of the S2 system with the same capabilities but perhaps slightly less megapixels.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Exactly - they've chosen the sensor for the R10 and are working on the body design; and will port all of the autofocus, firmware, etc. from the S2 over to the R10. My guess? Next year at PMA you'll see a working prototype, with sales in late 2010 or early 2011.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I expect a smaller version of the S2 system with the same capabilities but perhaps slightly less megapixels.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Exactly - they've chosen the sensor for the R10 and are working on the body design; and will port all of the autofocus, firmware, etc. from the S2 over to the R10. My guess? Next year at PMA you'll see a working prototype, with sales in late 2010 or early 2011.</p>

<p>The four thirds platform is Leica's only hope to have a presence in the DSLR market. They will not be able to take on Canikon with a digital R10 should there ever be one. Who would spend money on an R body when Canon or Nikon can offer something better in terms of noise control or dynamic range, at say half the price. Of course the 4/3 system doesn't compare to Canikon either, but at least it saves Leica from R&D costs, and selling re-branded Panny or Oly is so much easier than maintaining its own line of product. I strongly believe that if Leica were to offer a re-badged E-3 at a sensible price, say $1k more than Oly's own E-3, it would take the market by storm. </p>

<p>Judging from my recent experience of trying to sell a few Leica R film bodies (R4, R5, R-E) - one practically has to give them away - I am not surprised. Guess, there will eventually be a digital R10 (hopefully not as butt-ugly as the R8/R9), and it will take the current R-lenses (as well as the newer AF lenses). How Leica is managing the development of two new lens systems in parallel, as well as the S2 camera, I have a hard time comprehending - especially taking into account how small a market it must be given the premium one has to pay for them. </p>

<p ><a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=4410405">Eric S</a> <a href="http://www.photo.net/member-status-icons"></a>wrote: "They will not be able to take on Canikon with a digital R10 should there ever be one. Who would spend money on an R body when Canon or Nikon can offer something better in terms of noise control or dynamic range, at say half the price."</p>

<p >You have performance specs and comparison tests already?</p>

<p>@ Eric - I think that the idea of re-badging an Olympus is absurd. I for one would not buy an Olympus just because it has a Leica name plate. Leica products are famous for excellence and the level that they are famous for is not one that other 4/3 companies really produce at. Because of this fact re-badging can not be the best path for Leica. It's ok for their point and shoot cameras as they include their own software in them but in professional machines Leica has earned their price tags by producing items which are brilliantly designed as well as brilliantly built. Charging their prices for someone else's lesser products doesn't seem like a good marketing plan to me. I'd be far more inclined to buy a digital R than a Panasonic DSLR with a Leica plate.</p>

<p>I am wondering and just thinking out loud. Would Leica really come out with a complete set of AF R-lenses and a complete set of S-lenses - or could it be that they just manufacture the S-lenses and an adapter to mount those on a digital R10? Fairly certain, there will be an adapter to mount the current MF R-lenses on an S2, using only part of the larger sensor (like DX lenses do on Nikon FX cameras).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Leica has earned their price tags by producing items which are brilliantly designed as well as brilliantly built.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The older R-bodies I own attest to the exaxt opposite...<br>

Has always been a pity that Leica had nothing better to offer in camera bodies to mount their excellent lenses to. Would I not be limited to stop-down metering when mounting them on a Nikon F3 or F5, I wouldn't even cast a glance in the direction of any of the R bodies.</p>

<p>Leica has always thought themselves to be in a market on their own (also priced higher than anyone else), so why would anyone think the new R10 would compete with the Nikon or Canon high end models? Is the S2 priced lower than the Hasselblad H1/H3? The only way Leica can compete is to make a lower cost and spec'd S2 and AF lenses within sights of the Nikons and Canons price range. Double that and it's not competition.</p>

<p>Leica will be gone in six months. Germany and Japan and Korea (but maybe not Pentax's Vietnam) are toast economically. It'd be stupid to try to squeeze dollars from Americans by selling cameras when you could, instead, do a Madoff or Stanford.</p>

<p>"brilliantly designed as well as brilliantly built"<br>

wow. I knew Leica marketing was good but...<br>

Ever held an OLY E-3? it may not be an M8 in terms of build quality but its pretty<br>

darn nice. how about comparing the quality of some OLY SHG glass with R glass? think you might be shocked what you find of course you are blind to any objective analysis.<br>

A lot more pros using OLY than Leica this day in time.<br>

Leica has always been for orthodontists, corporate lawyers, collectors, trust funders and those who have object fetishes.<br>

Admittedly they do make some of the worlds finest glass but at what cost? certainly not worth it to anyone who makes their living from photography.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you owned a Leicaflex <strong>SL </strong> or<strong> SL2</strong> you might just change your opinion...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I am sure of it - that's why I wrote R bodies...<br>

And you are right, I should have excluded the SL and SL2 from my statements - but they were already old news when I started photography, which is quite a while back....</p>

<p>"Wow- so Leica is crap and it's going out of business. Nothing new there, so." ..Tom H.</p>

<p>None of that's true. But Germany's in deeper economic trouble than it's seen since WWI (and is going to get even deeper as Eastern Europe convulses)... as is Japan and most of the rest of Asia. Exports from Japan and Korea are dropping at 30-40% annualized, so is it likely that a purportedly German company is doing better?</p>

<p>Therefore it's likely that the people who would otherwise spend money on toys, or invest it in product development, will simply lay low for a long, long time.</p>