Leica stopping the R line

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Dieter,<br>

While I believe that things are changing with the advent of Autofocus "R" lenses, I would argue the depreciation of R lenses, certainly from an historical viewpoint.<br>

I was from 1966 until fairly recently an R user . During that time I bought (always new) and sold various lenses and bodies. With one or two exceptions (mainly bodies), I sold lenses and accessories for a greater price than I purchased them.<br>

One only has to read Leica's price lists over the years to see how the cost has risen, even on lenses that have not changed.<br>

I have always found Leica to be a good investment....use it (sometimes for years) and sell it for more than you paid for it.<br>

Not many film cameras or consumer products, have that sort of life story!</p>

<p>Colin, unfortunately, my experience is different. I had actually asked a question as to the discrepancy about the new vs. used costs of R-lenses in this forum November last year: http://www.photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00RYNo<br>

Having sold two R-lenses since then, I can now amend that post - excellent condition 100/2.8 Apo Macro and 35/2 Summicron don't sell for the asking prices mentioned in that thread but for around 30-40% less. Couldn't sell the R4 at all and had a hard time with the R5 as well - haven't even tried to sell the R-E - probably would have to pay a potential buyer...</p>

<p>

<<I'd be far more inclined to buy a digital R than a Panasonic DSLR with a Leica plate. - Andrew Viny>>

<br />

Right on.

<br />

By the way, Leica has reaffirmed its commitment to continue production of analog M modes, the MP and M7.

<br />

</p>

<p>Douglas - would be good if it was true. KEH surely doesn't seem to value that model highly though - not that I would sell a used camera to a reseller - the 50% penalty is too stiff. Incidentally, the R-E was the model I initally decided to hang on to. After I converted the Apo-Telyt 180/3.4 for use on my Nikons, the only lens I have left is the 24/2.8 - I will either sell that one too or convert if to F-mount as well...</p>

<p>Zapata, the S2 has a unique combination of most of the best features from both 35mm-based DLSR cameras and medium-format digital cameras. It has generated considerable interest from commercial photographers.</p>

<p>The most significant medium-format feature it's missing is a removable back. What the S2 (or, its prototypes) has that medium-format cameras lack is weather sealing and DSLR handling, and its about twice as fast as other current medium-format cameras.</p>

<p>The most significant typical DSLR features it's missing are multiple AF points and 4-fps speed. What the S2 (prototypes) has that typical DSLR cameras lack is a 56% bigger sensor and the leaf shutter capacity (Leica calls this 'central shutter'), and the MTF curves for the S2's lenses are phenomenal.</p>

<p>The S2 has a lot going for it. I won't be buying one, a lens that would give me the field of view I get with a 560mm Telyt on the DMR would be outlandishly huge, but there are many commercial photographers who instead of maintaining a high-end DSLR system for weather sealing and 35mm handling, and a medium-format digital camera system for the leaf shutter and higher image quality, can do quite well replacing both with one camera.</p>

<p>It's fun talking about Ferraris and Bentleys, but Leica may be missing the market with the S2, however great it will be, as the MF competition is quite fierce (Ah well, so is the DSLR, but most buyers are searching for Canon 5D Mark II prices and quality, which are infinitely more affordable) and the market small.</p>

<p>I think a lot of MF users, who are not pros but who are advanced amateurs or pros doing fine art work, will still take the more economic route of film 6x7 or 6x9 and scanning to get a numerical output.</p>

• 4 weeks later...