Do you educate your potential customers?

<p>I have an observation/suggestion/question in regards to the many posts I have read commenting that in order for <strong>quality </strong>professional photographers to be competitive with the less skilled "budget" variety of photographer, the potential customer/layman must be educated as to what makes makes a good photograph as compared to a run-of-the-mill snapshot.</p>

<p>Now I know that there are many other important business factors involved in obtaining customers and being competitive, but for the purposes of this thread, I'm talking about customer education.</p>

<p>I've seen this comment posted quite frequently, and I wonder if any of you out there give a little basic photography overview to your potential clients. Or do you (even subconciously) already assume that they are somewhat informed? The reason that I ask this is that when my wife (then fiance) and I were shopping for photographers for our wedding, all 5 or 6 potential photographers went through the same spiel: here's my/our portfolio, here's the pricing, what are your preferences, what are you looking for? But not one even approached the subject of "just so you are informed, these are the basic properties that make an quality photograph, keep this in mind when you are looking for photographers."</p>

<p>At the time, I had absolutely no photography experience and had not shopped for a photographer before. I would most likely have gone with the person who seemed the nicest, had acceptable photographs (in my very uneducated opinion) and who could offer us the best deal. Fortunately, a good friend with some solid photography knowledge had previously schooled my wife and I in just the basics regarding what to look for, such as proper white balance, acceptable exposure, and good/bad flash techniques (mostly pointing out the harshness created with the direct in your face pop-up flash that we were desensitized to from our own family snapshots). Armed with this knowledge, we actually went with the most expensive photographer, but we felt secure that he was delivering a quality product, which was important to us (now that we were informed). I guess my point is that, yes, an educated public is important for the business of photography, do you ensure that your potential clients are informed? I did not experience this in my (limited) interaction.</p>

<p>As for my photography experience, I am just happy-go-lucky schmuck who picked up his 1st DSLR a couple of months ago, and I am enjoying it immensely. Just wanted to share my thoughts.</p>

<p>Also, on a side note - I offered to shoot a co-worker's wedding as they were looking to save some $$$. I figured I could do just as good a job as the other guys, as my mom always tells me that I take great pictures. I have a Nikon D60. Could you tell me how to shoot a wedding? What do I do?</p>

<p>Good luck with educating potential customers. Some may be able and willing to take it in, but most people's eyes will just glaze over and you'll have lost them.<br>

As for shooting a co-worker's wedding, you either are very good (which given what you say is not overabundantly clear - your mother doesn't count in this regard, sorry) and no harm will be done or you are not good enough and you'll ruin the memories of their day and make an enemy at your workplace.</p>

<p>Last time I tried to educate a potential wedding client - they walked away after 5 minutes... They had their hearts set on having a "Pro" for the formals and ceremony - then saying goodbye and going with the disposables for the reception.</p>

<p>Sometimes people are content to remain ignorant.<br>

Dave</p>

<p>There are allot of educational photography sites out there that educate while asking you for money to buy one of their products. one example is ken Rockell's site although he doesn't really have a product to seel but his advice and his reviews. <br>

I think it works, at least for me it does. This is just my personal opinion, but if a person goes out of their way to inform me on something I may not know, then I might feel a little more symapthetic towards that person, an purchase one of their products.<br>

If they can write about it then that gives them a certain aura of expertise. However, for the work I do Portraits, Wedddings, Youth Sports, Post cards, I could not see myself trying to educate those customers. They would not understand anyway and I might turn them off by trying to do so. </p>

<p>Everything is individual taste. Many couples choose a "budget" photographer because they like his/her work and personality, not because they're ignorant. I get really tired of clueless pros whining on these boards about uninformed clients. If folks are happy with their photographer and the resulting photos, end of story. </p>

<p>David,<br>

If you're a good photographer AND a good marketer, you could make a nice profit on photographing the ceremony and formals and selling them a beautiful album. Let them use disposable cameras or do whatever they want for the rest of the day.<br>

Wouldn't you rather work a 3 or 4 hour day than a 12 hour day? You make the most money per hour during the ceremony and formals. If you really calculate the time, expense AND the number of images ordered from the rest of the day, you're probably only turning dollars and not making a true profit. Oh, don't forget all the editing time which is much more during the reception.....-Aimee</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." H. Mencken</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Although a strong form of this "Mencken's Law" would seem precluded by such tests as the Edsel automobile or Vista operating system, it's not at all clear why one would want to limit it to the <em>American</em> public.</p>

<p>Perhaps a stronger case can be made for a sort of corollary: Nobody ever got rich by overestimating the intelligence of the public.</p>

<p>The best education is to show them how really good your results have been in previous situations, and if that doesn't work, be just as happy that you don't have to deal with them.</p>

<p>My clients tend to be pretty educated as I work mainly for ad agencies, magazines and corporations, so this doesn't really apply to my kind of work very much (although there are often times when I have to clarify some technical issues). However, I have seen a big change in the industry over the last six or so years, as DSLRs become more widely used and capable - particularly in the wedding and portrait fields.</p>

<p>Digital has dramatically changed the playing field by removing many of the barriers to entry to that kind of professional photography. Photographers used to have invest considerable amounts of money in medium format equipment, learn how to use it properly, learn how to use light meters and supplemental lighting, and develop a knowledge base of different films, filters and processing methods. They also had to work within some pretty tough and limited parameters - low ISOs, bulky gear, few frames per magazine, timing magazine changes, etc. All of that was before you dealt with the most important aspects - do they have a good eye, timing, originality, composition skills, professional attitude, people skills, etc?</p>

<p>Now, for around $5,000 anyone with a passing interest can attempt to sell themselves as a "professional photographer". This frequently comes with very limited knowledge, and a reliance on DSLRs to take care of the technical stuff. It has saturated that market segment with a new type of photographer. It used to require a passion and commitment that weeded out a lot of the half hearted, "unemployed with a camera" types. Now the field is huge and it is, indeed, harder for many clients to separate the wheat from the chafe. This has not been a good thing for that sector - however much easier and convenient digital has made things. It has eaten into their business and flooded the market with price undercutting wannabes.</p>

<p>I think in this climate, education is essential to maintain quality, and to make sure that clients expect quality. As JDM says, this means showing high quality portfolios of previous jobs - with results that equal the standards of the best editorial work. Snapshots are snapshots, the bar for professionals should be considerably higher than that - anyone can produce properly focused and exposed images with ease. Professionals should be able to show work that is creative, timeless, evocative and unique. They should conduct themselves in a professional manner, have redundancy for all their gear and have the people skills to make the day fun while getting the best from their subjects. The more that clients expect this, the better the prospects for the real professionals.</p>

<p>I think some people are misinterpreting the term "educate" in a lot of ways. It doesn't mean that you sit there and give them a long speech on the ins and outs of the business and technical aspects of photography. I agree that it's utmost important to get more information out of the client than you give to them; i.e., let them tell you about what they're looking for and what their needs are. It's WHEN AND IF these needs and desires conflict with what's possible or recommended that you inform them as simply as possible. For example, "I understand why you would want to have digital copies of the photos, but I do not release them to ensure that the reproduction of the images is handled professionally to preserve and cherish your moments as much as they deserve to be."<br>

Education also includes something as simple as showing examples of the albums or prints that they could be getting using images representative of the type of shoot they're interested in. Quite honestly, that's education that they deserve to have whether they ask for it or not; you want to ensure that they know what to expect of both your services and your talents.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>But not one even approached the subject of "just so you are informed, these are the basic properties that make an quality photograph, keep this in mind when you are looking for photographers."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This sort of thing is part of the "slippery slope" that can drive sales people crazy. The point isn't that the prospect is given lessions in the art and craft he wants to hire you to perform. If he's so smart and he has the time for the project then why does need you - or your competition either, for that matter? The point of salesmanship here is that you help him be smart enough to hire you!</p>