HDR..without the cartoon look..does that exist?

<p>I would like to know if anyone have some HDR, or link about the subject that doesn't look over processed and saturated..the usual cartoon look that whe are use too. Did that exist? kind of a full tone rendition but with natural color? What most of us use to do with 2-3 negs back in the day (what i still do with my raw in need) and print the top part of the print with one, the shadow with another..and still get decent natural color. Or did the HDR by definition as to look that way?</p>

<p>thanks.</p>

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>To keep the same tone of another thread...<br>

Brad, I think <em>everyone</em> here is aware there is a way of finding link with google ; )</p>

<p>Of course i have use goole before, and the reason i ask its because all i see is the cartoon look..do you have a usefull link for me other than the usual *google it* my friend?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>What i consider cartoon look, to link a few.</p>

<p>http://www.digitalcameratracker.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/hdr-truck.jpg</p>

<p>http://www.rnrh.net/images/blog/hdr-sunset_soon_forgotten.jpg</p>

<p>http://digital-photography-school.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/hdr-image.jpg</p>

<p>http://porre.org/images/20080615004219_hdr_sunset2.jpg</p>

<p>Why Brad are you just not posting a link like the other member, just 1 and get it done? Why always the need to find THE problem, or THE mistake to fight about? Could you live happy without it? You made 2 answers that doestn help me or another person wanting the same informations.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Patrick, I'm trying to help you out.</p>

<p>You might also try flickr. Putting HDR in returned >900K images. You may like some more or less than me. It's a personal thing. Not sure why you're making such a <em>huge</em> deal about this....</p>

<p>So <a href=" Mondello (PA) - HDR one</a> for you....</p>

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Im not making any deal out of it, just curious to know if all HDR imaglook like the one i post because this is how HDR should look like..since it always what i see when people talk about HDR (even in the magazine) So i was wondering if HDR could also look natural, as more realistic, and maybe of a better use for me in the future.</p>

<p>Thanks for the link, appreciate. They are just on the limit (for my taste), but really nice images.</p>

<p>See Brad, how easy it is to please, your last answer was perfect. not condesendant, nor arrogant..just helpfull.</p>

<p>Yes, Patrick, HDR has a place under some very rare conditions where applying it will actually improve things without the %$#@*& effects we all know too well. If applied subtly under those rare conditions the result could be, repeat could be, natural looking. I've only seen one example where it actually worked for me: a subject shot just after sunset; HDR brought out the shadows without looking unnatural. Such examples are hard to come by. I guess we look at them now and then but don't realize HDR was applied.</p>

<p>>>> See Brad, how easy it is to please, your last answer was perfect. not condesendant, nor arrogant..just helpfull.</p>

<p>Hardly arrogant or condescending. Seemed you weren't able to find HDR images. I suggested how you can find thousands - to <i>your</i> own liking...</p>

www.citysnaps.net

<p>This is HDR of mine which I don't think is massively over the top and cartoonish (even though the plane might be!). It allowed me to keep the nice sky and backlight without having a completely black plane:<br>

SuperGuppy

Let me know if you think it's over the top, I don't do a lot of HDR.</p>

<p>"..Seemed you weren't able to find HDR images...that look NATURAL. Please Brad, dont insult my inteligence with your " I simply want to help you..."</p>

<p>You could have provide a link (as all the other poster), and all this explanation wouldtn even happend.</p>

<p>Let stop it there for the second time today in less than 1hre. agreed?</p>

<p>>>> Let stop it there for the second time today in less than 1hre. agreed?</p>

<p>You asked a question about HDR images. I replied with two very simple methods of finding them; that will meet <em>your</em> tastes. You obviously don't like my method. Just move on; why turn it into a huge deal...</p>

www.citysnaps.net

<blockquote>

<p>......it could be just me : )</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Patrick, it is just you. :-) <sorry, couldn't resist></p>

<p>I happen to like some of the HDR. Obviously everyone has their own point of what they consider <em>too much</em> but understandbly, each has to come to their own conclusions. You have a very low tolerance for it, some others love all of it. I like what I did but you would hate it. I'm okay with that.</p>

<p>Some love B&W, others can't stand it. Some like wide angle, others prefer a long tele. No right or wrong for any of this, just different opinions.</p>

<p>Here are a couple that I did. They are not landscape pics, but they are HDR. Hard to tell when they look natural, but in the case of the kitchen, the lower left, by the drawers, would've been very dark, and of course, the window would've been blown out. You can even see detail in the blacks on the stove. In the lamp pic, the dark wood and stool would have been very dark in order to get good lampshade brightness.</p>

<p>Peter</p><div>00SdZq-112949584.jpg.4550dfe10bda5a96d746844641350a8f.jpg</div>

<p>LOL! OK its me, Im a more natural kind of guy, a boring hetero that like slick design and natural looking thing ; )</p>

<p>Peter, i understand, and i think i could have seen this without thinking its HDR. Well done. I would have use probably the same raw to get close to this by under / over exposed a good one, and use Photoshop to blend those 2 frame..without going HDR..its all i know!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The problem is that to anyone who has looked at hundreds of thousands of <em>non</em> -HDR images, the "dynamic range" of HDR photos looks artificial or unnatural. I'm not saying it IS artificial or unnatural, because it is often argued that HDR is closer to what our eye sees, but that it looks "odd" to to anyone who has seen enough non-HDR images.</p>

<p>When something in shadow in a photo has as much detail as something not in shadow, a trigger goes off that says, "HDR!"</p>

<p>I suppose <strong>the only HDR images that don't look at all cartoonish to anyone are those for which even an experienced eye (like Patrick's) cannot detect that HDR was used. </strong></p>

<p>So far most of the examples linked in this thread do not fit that description to me, anyway.</p>