Unusual photo

<p>I need to know where I can send a copy of a photo I took to find out how it occurred. It was a shot out the front of an open air bi-plane through the propeller and I got 7 stopped images of the propeller edge with no blurring and the overall view image.</p><div>00Scrh-112726484.thumb.jpg.9b89d5b89a3041991b7cd1857ea8afb2.jpg</div>

<p>I was going to say that Your shutter speed was fast enough to stop the motion, until I downloaded your image which shows no propeller at all. I don't know what those bars across the screen are, but they aren't the propeller.</p>

<p>The shutter curtain has two pieces. As the first curtain opens the second curtain closes right behind. So you really get a thin slit that moves from top to bottom or bottom to top which let the light in to expose your media be it film or digital. As the shutter slit is traveling the propeller is spinning at the same time. While the shutter curtain is traveling the propeller blades (probably a two blade propeller) passed over the curtain multiple times.</p>

<p>Hansen has it right. The props RPM was most probably very close to being sync'd with your shutter speed. If the prop had been going slightly slower it should have appeared as a single blade. If it was going faster it would have turned into a blur.</p>

<p>I think Hansen has the right principle but the wrong technology.</p>

<p>If the prop was turning at 1800 rpm (just a guess which makes for easy math), it would make one revolution every 1/30s or one blade-pass every 1/60s. Focal-plane shutters in SLRs tend to have sync speeds around 1/250 or so these days, and so they would be completely open for longer durations such as 1/30s.</p>

<p>I think this may be due to use of an electronic "rolling-shutter" in which data is captured row-by-row off the sensor as it read out. Also, your EXIF data is weird: it says ISO100, f/3, 1/30s which would be overexposed by many many stops if correct and it was just after noon on a sunny day.</p>

<p>Were you using a camcorder with a still capture feature or is this a capture from a video stream?</p>

<p>David got it right, this is very common with cheap cameras such as cellphone cams; the sensor is scanned row by row, which means that the whole image is not captured instantaneously, rather, it's capture piece-by-piece. The effect is somewhat similar to really old cloth shutters.</p>

<p>I think the answer is that the plane dropped a few feet during the exposure. The view in the distance didn't change because it's too far away to have affected the perspective, and the plane's fuselage is stationary to the camera, so it didn't change. The prop was exposed multiple times as the plane dropped, changing the relative position to the plane.</p>

<p>Peter</p><div>00Scuu-112745584.jpg.165d1f111f54aab2ee89879285b6b10d.jpg</div>

<p>Maybe this link will help. The slit of light that Hansen refers to moves from top down across the sensor. Imagine the prop spinning as the shutter drops. The shutter drops and as each new segment of the sensor is exposed, half the prop will have rotated out of frame and the other half into frame but in a slightly different position. In other words, every other line in the photo would represent the same half of the propeller blade.<br>

<a href="http://regex.info/blog/2008-09-04/925">http://regex.info/blog/2008-09-04/925</a></p>

<p>I've laten literally thousands of slow shutter-speed photos of prop planes with a standard DSLR (Nikon D70, Canon 20D, 40D, 1D2IIn, and 5D) and I've never seen anything like the OT's photo, or the ones in the links I posted a couple of items up. When the sensor readout occurs with the shutter closed, there are no artifacts. It's only with "electronic shutters" where the sensor readout is occurring along with subject motion that you get artifacts like these.</p><div>00SczR-112767684.jpg.1b1bb72d9663db5349ccd9a4e89ca39b.jpg</div>