Mac vs. PC....I NEED to be convinced. :)

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>we are in the same boat..hahah..Im right there with you<br>

15" SVGA monitor was a huge upgrade!<br>

I remember the first day I got an Epson Color printer, I was in shock and amazed at what I could do off my desktop. I printed for days and inspected and printed. I was in love.<br>

For LR2, I think I need an intro video or something to get familiar, I like the zoom presets, they are the most used. and the toning presets are nice to get you started in one direction or another. I dont think CS4Raw has presets built in, just the ones you create and save. perhaps it is possible to export the LR ones to Raw :-) . In the end i want the least tools clutter to get the work done. So far I think its a keeper for at LEAST the web gallery creator.</p>

<p>Slow for me the past few days,,,I have work but they are pending approvals. I noticed magazine page counts shrinking!</p>

<p>>>> The $600 iMac still has the same small hdd, same cpu, same ram, as last month, yes?</p>

<p>Nope. The base unit has been refreshed as well. Larger HD, 5 USB ports, FW800 port, dual display, superdrive is standard now, better GPU, faster mem bus, etc. For the same $600 the older base unit cost.</p>

<p>The base Mini, like all base macs, can be configured with more memory, larger HD, etc for extra $$$. The $800 version gets you a larger HD and an extra gb of RAM - not worth it IMO. If I were looking for one, I'd get the base unit and do my own upgrade.</p>

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Phil, heres 2 place to help;</p>

<p>1_www.lynda.com, a 8hre tutorial seriously well done. 25$ a motnh for unlimited tutorial on ALL the subject they have; from word to CGI..impresive (this is where i have learn it 2 years ago when Lr 1 just arrive)</p>

<p>2_click on my name and request my email, you will receive a automatic response to get my FREE photoshop action and lightroom preset.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>yI have heard of Lynda, and seen a couple clips from....I have joined NAPP for the discounts they offer and they have some tutorials ...perhaps for LR2? I will check them out.<br>

BTW, these led screens are very , very nice, and accurate :-)<br>

(reading other posts) </p>

<p>I think it would be great if Apple would morph the mini it into a modular setup...<br>

say you have one...you link another and suddenly you have the added ram and the space and the processing power.....Steve Jobs....dont leave now...you have a new project! You just stack one on top the other.</p>

<p><em>I think it would be great if Apple would morph the mini it into a modular setup...<br /> say you have one...you link another and suddenly you have the added ram and the space and the processing power.....Steve Jobs....dont leave now...you have a new project! You just stack one on top the other.</em></p>

<p>I think it would be neat if they would morph my Mini Cooper in to a modular setup. You could attach them end to end and they would become a station wagon or stretch limo. And it's about as technically likely.</p>

<p>LOL..LOLOLLOL design a motherboard that has some new scsi like or Firewire what have you connection that snaps in....and a software that manages tweaks the shared settings...You memory, cpu and then this is balanced out for the OS Z 20.8 to read, and BAM! now your cookin like Emril</p>

<p>Since my last post (yesterday) when I recommended you lot to get out and take more photos, I have shot over 150 frames, retouched about 15, printed 5 and am on to the next project. Yes, the work was done on a MacBook Pro running Bibble 4.10.1, with the odd bit of work on a Dell PC running Photoshop.<br>

Want to know my heretical solution for a happy life in the digital darkroom? Good composition, good focus, correct aperture and shutter speed, decent white balance - presto! Result = Not so many hours in front of an LCD screen!<br>

Please folks, dry this thread up now so we can see a few more threads on the homepage that are fresh.</p>

<p>Charmain,<br>

I'm a professional Tradesman and when i have to buy or am in need of a tool, I don't think about price. I think about the best tool for the job/reliability/ease of use. These are the three major factors I consider. That said, I can say that I own both computer platforms and they both serve their purpose. Reading your letter tells me what your needs will be. That is the number one factor. Cost should be the next and then the ease of use should be a close third.<br>

I have mac's that still run(and that's on the web, using photoshop etc.) that date back to 1999. My current mac that i use daily is the last of the dual processor power pc's, 2005 vintage with 4gb of ram. I also have a pc that runs just fine, networked to the mac and still on win98.<br>

My experience with both platforms sealed the deal for me. I have had zero problems with my macs dating back to the way early 80's with my first Apple IIe.<br>

You pay extra for your mind being at ease, but it's worth every penny. I don't worry about bad hardware, crappy operating system(unless you know how to get into the pc's OS with confidence) or virus's. These are very important when writing that check. I should say that my pc still runs(1999 model) and has had no major hardware issues other than a cd/dvd going bad and needing replacement. But I always fall back to that elegant Mac OS and never worrying about that "Blue Screen" thing I do while running the old toaster, I mean pc. Also I don't need to call my old pc buddy at $75 an hour to "clean" up my computer so I can go back to work. You will never be able to wipe the hard drive clean and re-install the OS as easy as you can on the mac vs the pc. I'm not saying the mac never has issues, but a simple restart usually clears up all issues I have with the mac.<br>

Don't make money the issue when you are in the market for a tool which will improve your end result. Yes the mac's cost you more up front, but factor in the cost of "fred" coming over every so often to clean up, get your pc working again, getting it back online etc and that extra cost dissapears. You don't need the fastest computer either. With a good graphics card and max ram, photoshop will cruise along just fine.<br>

Think long term and you will make the right decision. You don't need to buy the latest, fastest box in town to work your photo's. Would you buy a substandard lens to save some money? You usually get what you pay for(unless it's our government).<br>

If what you are looking for is no worry, work my photo's and print them up/send them out, get the mac. You won't be disappointed.<br>

With all that said, You still have to be able to capture that instance in time to make all the money you spend on the tool you choose to express yourself worthwhile or you my brother are in the wrong business.<br>

Best Wishes<br>

cp</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm a pc user and I can tell that a win XP won't run well with less than 512ram, and Vista won't run at all.<br>

The other day came a mini mac to my work.... oh my God! 512mb ram and it was a charm! Leopard run so smooth! The time response was awesome. I've seen Vista 64 run on a Dell with 8 (yes! eight) Xeon processors and 4GB ram with a Quadro FX video and it didn't get close to the mini mac! Of course, with 512 ram you can't run whatever you want, but you get the point.<br>

Not to mention that Leopard never halts.<br>

Regards!</p>

<p>Phillip, i have follow your advice! i have shoot 150 or so images also (all the toys of my little girl to create a Blurb book about souvenir) i have retouched all of those 150 shot for personal purpose, i have retouched/ color balance 200 scans for a client who prepare is art portfolio, 8 editorial shot for the ELLE India and im giving a 3 workshop this week! See, i was also productive since last Friday ; )</p>

<p>Here some of our old "Photoshop dream machines" are capped at 512megs; since the motherboard is from 1996. They still work fine with win2000 today; and sport two 333Mhz server CPU's' Pentium II's that when new cost 600 bucks each. Today they are used more for scanning; and retouchint work on smaller images say less than 50 megs. Since they jsut have win2000 the latest Photoshop version is CS2. The old birds rotate a 105meg 35 megapixel Phase One scan 90 degree in 7 seconds with dual CPUs; or about 9 with just on CPU. 512 megs was once alot of ram; many thousands of dollars on these boxes for 512. In the Pentium era 16 megs was 600 bucks for me; the same as full bore Photoshop 2.5 or 3; once it peaked at about 1000 bucks for 16 megs in the Pentium era.</p>

<p>Back when I was involved with broadcast television video and graphics we used a system called The Quantel Paintbox. It is still the industry standard among professionals in the field of TV production. Fully optioned they were ~$750K - $1Million each! So we decided to try some other alternatives to augment those systems for smaller jobs.<br>

<br>

We needed systems that were powerful and stable -- that we could rely on not to crash halfway through a long rendering job etc. We extensively tested many different systems including Apple / Mac, Compaq (NT4 SP6a).. The Mac's crashed two to three times as much as any of the Compaq/NT solutions. They just could not take heavy duty 3D graphics rendering like a Compaq Workstation loaded with NT4 and dual processors could. </p>

<p>There were a few staff members that tried to convince management of the merits of the Apple Mac -- but the proof was plain for everyone to see -- the Windows NT machines were several times more reliable than anything Apple had on the market. Needless to say the Compaq / NT4 solution was used and the all of the Mac's were packed up and sent back to Apple; Compaq got the order. Anyone who says that PC's are unreliable is speaking out of total ignorance.. -Mike </p>

<p>why not get a dell vista 64 bit machine<br>

got one with the new corei7 920 4gig ram 650gb hard drive 24 inch monitor with coupon for 1100$us<br>

without coupons it would be about 1300 $us and will run anything u throw at it<br>

macs are truly overpriced and not really worth it<br>

also with the 64 bit vista u can add as much memory as u want<br>

running lightroom and elements on my machine is a dream superfast no hanging</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>First of all, so I don't have a bunch of flame throwers aimed at me (LOL), I don't have any experience with Macs. I do, however, have friends that use Macs and love them. From what I have seen of Macs, they are awesome computers/systems. That said, I have experience with Dell PCs and monitors, including my current Vista driven system with a 26 inch HD monitor. I have had NO problems with that system. I would not hesitate to recommend that you save the $1,100 and use it toward buying a great lens or camera. You will be glad you did!<br>

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck with your decision!<br>

__________________________________________________________ <br />BetterPhoto Gallery: <br /><a title="Click to open link in a new browser window" href="http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/gallery.asp?memberID=125176" target="_blank">http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/gallery.asp?memberID=125176</a> <br />Flickr Gallery: <br /><a title="Click to open link in a new browser window" href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/26921845@N02/" target="_blank">http://www.flickr.com/photos/26921845@N02/</a></p>

• 2 months later...