A slump in photographing

ccommins

<p>Do what I do when I run out of ideas. Crank up your favorite music and let inspiration come to you. You'd be surprised at how well it works. Also, keep a notepad with you and use it to write down ideas. That will help you comkpose the shot in your mind before you even touch your camera. Capturing good images is a lot easier when you know what your aiming for.</p>

<p>See something you have never seen before or haven't seen in a while, and don't bring your camera. Take a drive somewhere maybe. I would avoid reaching for any different gear. And avoid things you like. When you come back to it, your mind will be different and it will have its own ideas what to do with the camera. I think this is what Ed and Luis were saying. The idea is to give your brain a needed breather from interacting with a camera and the feeling that you need to 'grab' something. Musicians need a lot of silence too. Hope this helps, it works for me, though I usually only do it accidentally.</p>

<p>That Brandenburg idea was genius, but being a long time Minnesotan, he definitely planned out the time of year right, the days were still fairly long, lots of animal movement as winter neared, changing colors, variable yet calm weather... I remember first hearing about it when I lived on Lake Superior in 2001 and was just getting my feet wet in photography.</p>

<p>Something like that should be done by a veteran photog though, you can see in the images how selective he had to be. Some of them fail though (mostly lousy light), some of them are above average, and others are simply awesome. For an amateur or advanced hobbyist to embark on that, I'd assume the 1st month would be lousy, 2nd month average, and the third month could show signs of growth. I have a hard time NOT taking pictures, especially with digital...</p>

<p>It must have been satisfying for him to shoot a sunrise shot and call it a day!</p>

<p>All that said, Carol, bring your camera everywhere. You will use it. You will never kick yourself for not having it during an amazing moment or scene. I found myself getting down on photography BECAUSE I was missing shots by leaving the camera at home, so I started to bring it in the car everywhere, make it part of your daily life and it will make you part of it too.</p>

<p>Shame on you Carol ! 1999 i had a stroke in hospital for 6 weeks, i then came home ,i have no balance on my right side and could not use my right hand no feeling,to use the camera i had to put stick some rough material on my shutter release button so i knew when my finger was on it ! never went out for months my friends wheeled me out side in a wheel chair ! i do have a garden as i am intersted in alpine plants and flowers in general so i put my camera to work,i had to motivate myself or i would crack up !i was 66 at the time and now 76 ,i decided to show other's what they could do if they ended up like me,so i did this site which will explain why i did it.<br /><a href="http://www.myhomeandgardenindigital.me.uk">www.myhomeandgardenindigital.me.uk</a><br />I still cant walk very well or use my right hand but i motivated my self , on my site every photo was take at my home ! not even out side the gate ! just to show what one can do if you have a garden but if you have not got a garden you can always put plants or bulbs in a pot and grow them on and you can take table top photos,my anwser to Carol is use your mind and get motivated,hope my site wakes you up !cheers.Tony.</p>

<p>Anthony. What a great guy you are. A very motivational story. You should be very proud of yourself.<br>

I have mailed you personally since you are UK based and as a mark of respect I hope to be able to drop off a few plants for your collection.<br>

I hope other pnet members will join me in wishing you the best of luck and many more years 'in the garden'.<br>

You are not a bad photographer either!<br>

Kindest regards<br>

Graham</p>

I am amazed at the response I received from everyone. From PN members letting me know they have slumps, to great ideas from others, the video was awesome. But Tony's response hit home, I had a similar problem when I was in my mid 50s. One day the manager of an accounting dept., owner of an antique store. Next day ICU. Once I came home I had to deal with short term memory loss. I was determind to do something to keep my mind and body occupied. So I created a garden in an area where our pool once stood. Now it is my inspiration for photographs, it seems when things are going along good, we tend to forget what has happened in the past. I have posted pictures of my garden for you Tony so you can see my labor of love. Your photographs are beautiful and your garden must be stunning. Thank you everyone for your ideas.& suggestions. http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=897021

<p>Try getting away from photography for a little while. When you won't allow yourself to shoot, you'll start missing it. If you're like me, you'll start seeing subjects all around you. When you get frustrated enough (or your time limit is up) go out with a camera. I like the "film" ideas, but you can approximate it with a digital camera too. Shoot only manual mode one afternoon. The next weekend, only shoot in-camera black and white. Some evening, plan on just shooting time-lapse shots on the Navy Pier, making the most of the color and motion. You get the idea.</p>

<p>Also, go visit the art museums while you're on your shooting hiatus. See photographic art, but also modern art, and the classical stuff. This always gets the creative synapses firing for me. I can't wait to get hold of a camera after a trip like that.</p>

<p>Hope that helps. I've been there and done these things, and it seems to "open my eyes" to subjects right in front of my face. </p>