Long lens hard case issue

derrickdehaan

<p>I opened my brand new Canon 600 f/4 yesterday, mounted my Wimberley P50 plate on the foot and got everything set and balanced on teh wimberley head. So, I go to put my lens away, and there is no way to shut the hard case lid with the plate attached. We all know what a royal pain in the you know what it would be to have to remove the plate to pack the lens would be. I also have the lens coat on the lens, so that makes it snug as well.<br>

So my question is, anybody run into this issue, and how did you resolve it? Also, if I need to get a soft case what would you recommend?<br>

Thanks,<br>

Derrick</p>

<p>Take a look at the Lightware z600 (?) case. I only use the Canon hard case to store the junk that comes with the lens. A Lightware case is great to transport the lens solo. There are other long lens cases out there of course (Tenba, Lowepro, Kinesis, etc.)</p>

<p>I had the same problem when I put a Burzynski two-point plate on my Nikon 500mm F4P. I couldn't close the hardcase. I ended up getting a Pelican 1514 (with the padded dividers) to hold both the F4P and my 300 3.8 AIS. I normally might not bring the 500 if I'm just using the 300, but I always bring the 300 if I'll be using the 500. The 1514 should be able to hold just a 600 F4 Canon alone with room to spare.</p>

<p>I hear you Eric. It seems that every photography purchase snowballs into a large investment. Sure, the 600 f/4 IS was a huge investment, but then I had to buy a massive tripod, Wimberley head, long lens plate. Now the lens won't fit in the case...good grief. Then I need to get the lens trekker case, then some added slip/lock cases for filters, extenders, etc. It never ends.</p>

<p>Hard case issues do not have to be expensive. I am about to post this as its own topic, but I'll give you a heads up here as well. All but one of my hard cases, and most of my soft cases were bought at a sporting goods store. My hard cases are sold as multiple handgun cases, have all the features of a Pelican except submersibility, and are at least as rugged, if not more so. Plus, they are about a third of the cost when they are not on sale. I got an aluminum one today that will hold a camera body, a 50mm, a 300mm, w/ hoods and accessories for less than $40! <br>

Nearly all of them come with pick-n-pull foam, which I am sort of on the fence about. I like that you can size it how you want, but it is generally low quality foam and flattens out quickly. I usually replace it with heavier foam that I have to cut myself. Good heavy density foam is available at custom bedding shops, or industrial foam manufacturers...just ask if you can buy some scrap. Usually they don't even bother taking money for pieces the size that we are talking about.<br>

Many of my soft cases are sold as coolers, and I supplement the padding with the leftover pick-n-pull foam from the hard cases or with my higher density foam depending on what I am putting in them. You can get a padded "six-pack" sized bag for your accessories, a lens or two, or a camera body for about $5. Not the $30 you would spend at your local camera shop.</p>