24-70 f/2.8 OR 24-104 f/4 ?

<p>Dan,</p>

<p>The 24-105 will yield .22x full size, and the 24-70 yields .29x, at least according to The-Digital-Picture:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24-105mm-f-4-L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx">http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24-105mm-f-4-L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx</a></p>

<p>I'm just trying to give the OP info; I don't want to get drawn into debate.</p>

<p>Nothing against lingerie ads, I'd refer Frederick of Hollywoods over Lane Bryant :)</p>

<p>On a serious note though, I don't think it's appropriate for a photography forum. I was showing my 5-year old nephew some of my bird shots and out of no where a lady wearing lingerie appeared on the right side of the screen. Yes, we are a conservative family.</p>

<p>Regarding the topic of this thread, I would suggest the original poster to rent these lenses and give them a test run. I know you'll have to spend extra money but you'll get to have hand-on experience with both lenses before you drop $1000+.</p>

<p>Of the subject about the ads, I would suggest that maybe your son would be better of not visiting with dad while on photo.net, there are plenty of photography sites that would not carry those types of ads. That is why I never took my sons to any of the football and basketball games too many good looks gals that were scantly clad. Don't even let them watch on TV. Not true</p>

<p>I found it much easier to explain life to them at an early age rather then they learn from their friends or else where.</p>

<p>I just compared these 2 lenses on my 5D, in person at a local retailer. All I will add to the above discussion is:</p>

<ol>

<li>the 24-70 is absolutely HUGE, especially with the hood attached and "extended" to 24mm (designed that way so the hood won't vignette- it's a long hood). The 24-105 still feels like a "regular-sized" zoom, even with the IS.</li>

<li>I never cared much for IS... until I tried it: it's quite impressive, even just looking on the LCD vs the 24-70</li>

<li>the IS is great for separating the elements that you WANT blurred vs sharp, as apposed to blurring the entire frame with camera (hand) shake.</li>

<li>the extra stop on the 24-70 is appealing, especially to me (I've shot with fast primes almost exclusively). BUT the VF on the 5D is so big and bright, that the difference (2.8 vs f4) is negligible, at least to me.</li>

</ol>

<p>David B., I am happy I am not as mature and serious as you are.</p>

<p>This is a GEAR forum and I find two things laughable here:</p>

<p>1. The nausea of the 24-70 v. 24-105 post frequency (subjective)<br>

2. The kitchen sink mentality Canon built into the 24-105 (objective)</p>

<p>If that makes me immature, then so-be-it. I'll wear that crown proudly.</p>

<p>my (second) .50 (up to a dollar now).<br>

<br /> Personally, i find the 24-70 Irreplaceable with a full frame camera. Sometimes i wish it was a little longer, but the mind-blowing quality the lens offers is truly second to none in the world of zoom lenses.</p>

<p>On a regular basis since purchase, i've realized that the 24-70 defines my photography. Basically, if I had the 24-105, I wouldn't be as good of a photographer..... period. I tried using one for a while, but I stopped getting clients. They all said the same thing... "F4? seriously? amateur! We're not hiring you!"<br>

<br /> So I went and bought the 24-70. After all, everyone else was doing it. Since then i've noticed at LEAST a 50% increase in my creativity, and i've gotten more clients too... not just more clients, but also hotter clients. The babes have GRAVITATED to me since buying the 24-70. I see those losers with the 24-105's literally surrounded by nerds, while i'm swingin the ladies.</p>

<p>.... Ok you get it... seriously, they are both great lenses, who the hell cares which one you pick? My HONEST advice? Go buy a Canon G9 and see if you still feel limited by your gear.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"The f/2.8 aperture can give a bit narrower DOF if you need it and it is easier to get nicer bokeh with this lens." G Dan Mitchell<br /> How does an f/2.8 lens give you <em><strong>narrower</strong> </em> DOF than an f/4 lens?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here or perhaps there is a hidden message I'm not understanding (hey, it has happened...), but that's how DOF works.</p>

<p>Smaller apertures - e.g. f/4 in this comparison - give you a larger/wider/bigger DOF than larger apertures - e.g. f/2.8. That's why you shoot at f/16 on FF if you want really deep DOF and why you shoot at f/2.8 (or smaller) if you want to limit DOF.</p>

<p>Frankly, the DOF difference between f/4 and f/2.8 is often not all <em>that</em> significant, and often the very smallest DOF can be too small. And if you want really narrow DOF you might want to acquire a prime or two - unless you are using very long focal length lenses which, by their nature, tend to give limited DOF.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>Ken, I'm not taking the bait this time. :-)</p>

<p>Gack. I knew I should have proofread that... I wrote: "...and why you shoot at f/2.8 (or <em>smaller</em> ) if you want to limit DOF."</p>

<p>Of course, that sentence should have read: "and why you shoot at f/2.8 (or <strong>LARGER</strong> ) if you want to limit DOF."</p>

<p>Crawling back into the hole... ;-)</p>

<p>Dan</p>

• 3 weeks later...