AF-Nikkor 300 mm f/4 ED-IF and Teleconverter

douglasely

<p>Hello, I have an AF-Nikkor 300 mm f/4 ED-IF lens that I mount to a D300. I use it primarily for nature and wildlife shots. It is always on a tripod sould that make a difference. I would like to extend it's range by adding a Nikkor 1.4 teleconverter. Can this be done, and if so, which converter should I purchase? Has anyone used this combination and what are the results please? Thank you, D</p>

<p>It soulds like you are referring to the pre-AF-S version of the 300mm/f4 AF that uses screwdriver AF and a 82mm front filter.<br>

Nikon does not have an AF teleconverter for that lens. When I had it, I used a TC-14B on it. That combination works fine but you will lose auto focus, and it is a slow f5.6 supertele so that good tripod support becomes very important. You can also used a modified TC-14E/TC-14E II but once again without AF.<br>

If you want to maintain AF, you need to get a 3rd-party teleconverter that supports screwdriver AF.</p>

<P>

Douglas Ely sent me e-mail to confirm that his 300mm/f4 is indeed the early AF model, and he asked about the modification I mentioned.

</P>

<p>Here is a link to the common modificdation on Nikon TC-nnE teleconverters: <a href="http://nikonpages.heymanphotography.com/tcmod/">http://nikonpages.heymanphotography.com/tcmod/</a><br>

If you choose to modify a teleconverter this way, you are doing so at your own risk. This procedure is not recommended by Nikon and will void any warranty.</p>

<p>Dieter... That is the same TC I have. I bought it to use it with the old AF 300 also. It works just fine with the new AF-S too. The people a this store in Tokyo told me that the Kenko 1.5x was design to be used with PRIME lenses only. It is written on the box too. They also told me that the more expensive Kenko TC's are design to be used with zooms. I find it hard to believe but....</p>

<p>Rene', since I have a TC-14E and a TC-17EII, I have never attached the Kenko behind the 300/4 AF-S. The Kenko came as a package with my second D200 - and is a pretty good fit behind the older non-AF-S 300/4 AF IF-ED. Because of a friend's question, I very recently used it behind the 80-400 - and will never do it again.</p>

<p>I did that mod to a used TC-14E. It's not hard if you have a dremel or similiar. If you are slow and a bit careful you will just pull the plate up after unscrewing it. Take the TC out of the shop and grind the tab off. At least you will have metering. I use mine with my 500mm f4 P and like it.</p>