Ektar 100 now available in 120

<p>For some reason camera stores in Canada don't want to stock it. My local lab did a special order of 100 rolls because they were constantly getting asked for it. It all sold by the end of the next day.....but I did get myself 5 rolls. They have an order of 500 being placed now....I'll ask about the 120.</p>

<p>Dave your camera store may not want to bother with selling film anymore. I have run into this over and over even in the U.S.. There is not much profit for the retailers, and it has a finite shelf life. But with the economy in the tank, and DSLR sales stagnant. your local camera store may actually have to listen to their customers again.</p>

<p>The local Calumet in my area has been (intentionally) letting their film selection fizzle away over the last year.<br>

However, last time I was in there, I noticed that they have a good supply of Ektar 100, and when I asked the guy behind the counter about it, he said, "I don't know why, but that stuff seems to sell."<br>

Almost confused and annoyed by the whole phenomenon.</p>

<p>One simple request: if you asked for it, buy it, and buy it again. If the retailers have it expire on the shelf, if Kodak can't sell the master roll before it expires, they're not going to listen to the requests the next time.<br>

At a minimum, they made some 35,000 rolls of this -- one master roll. See that they sell out.</p>

<p>Mr. Rosner...</p>

<p>You say "Dave your camera store may not want to bother with selling film anymore"</p>

<p>Perhaps, but that would be foolish if it's a REAL camera store. Pseudo camera stores can only process 35mm, same as WalMart. Real camera stores have a machine that will accept 120. Camera stores in general don't make a very good gross percentage on their camera sales, digital or film. They make a much higher gross percentage on accessories like batteries, filters, camera bags, frames, and most of all processing. Because real camera stores are getting scarcer, they're almost the only place to process 120 film. Thus, unlike selling either a digital camera or a memory card, the sale of 120 film virtually ensures the purchaser will be using their high-profit-margin processing/printing. Now the only question is: are some of these lazy so-and-sos bright enough to figure it out? Unfortunately not, as noted by</p>

<p>Mr. Zander...</p>

<p>who said "Almost confused and annoyed by the whole phenomenon." I wonder how many shop owners and shop attendants with this attitude blame the economic downturn on wars, greedy bankers, real estate speculators, hell...anybody but their wonderful selves. Backing up Mr. Zander's comment, when I went to Calumet in Escondido, CA, arriving at the same time as the UPS truck, which was delivering to them the Ektar 100 35mm I wanted to buy, I went through three salesmen before I found one who would take the time to sell me 10 rolls. From the first two, I got the attitude that they did not like serving bank robbers, child molesters, nor film users. After all, what kind of a low type creature would still be using film? Except for my selfish interest of wanting to be able to purchase film, I would have left their place of business with a smile on my face, knowing they were putting themselves in the economic tank. All I'd have to do is hang around long enough to watch them fold. </p>

<p>Tom</p>

<p>P.S. But at least I got some of that nice Ektar and will probably have to return to their store to get it in 120. </p>

<p>Thomas, if that's the treat you got from Calumet, then maybe take your business elsewhere. There is one shop here in Victoria that when I went in and asked if they have received any Ektar 100, laughed at me and said "you're still using film? Time to buy a DSLR." A perfect example of a salesman losing any chance of obtaining business from a customer in the future. I'll never set foot in there again. Sad....I used to buy a fair bit of inkjet paper and protective spray from them.</p>

<p>It is a problem I have to get it all internet order my last real shop went tits up they hung in there but when they had to move to a new location it had a Walgreen's in the same complex and no other film processing was allowed so they went with their other buisness Selling ads. The Film processing was great the people you could talk too and they ran E-6 every other day any size... Infact Their Machine is in my shead now.... Covered drained and hoping for a future.</p>

<p>Larry</p>

<p>That's awesome! This just made my day. Believe it or not, I actually haven't used 120 <em>color </em>film yet. I've shot plenty of black and white 120 film, and I love it, but I haven't used it in color yet. I shot a few rolls of 35mm Ektar 100 so far. I took me a while to get used to it, since it has a different look that I've never seen with film before, and it's also very picky with exposure. But I really liked the saturated colors. I will definitely buy it in 120. I can't wait to try it in one of my TLR cameras.</p>

<p>I was also very happy to find out that my local camera shop is finally carrying Ektar too. I was ordering it from Freestyle. One time I went to the local camera shop where I sometimes buy my film and chemicals (and a few cameras) and they didn't really even seem to know what Ektar was, and didn't show any real interest in carrying it. But something definitely changed because they have it now. <br>

</p>

<p>"Thanks for the rebate..... I hope they keep putting out new 120 films. Looks like Kodak may be starting to see the Digital backlash."<br>

I hope so. Kodak keeps saying they are "transforming into a digital company" I think this is so but I think every time they try to take more steps away from film they go back. They have started to produce all kinds of digital cameras and printers and now they have put out Ektar. Even though they make some weird decisions sometimes I will always love Kodak!</p>