POW feb15 2009

dorus

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>So, this past week we had a group of "preachers" come to Auburn's campus. basically, they think that God hates anyone who sins, and that they themselves have stopped sinning. everything inside of me disagrees with them, but they did give me an opportunity to pretend that I was a PJ ;)</p>

<p>(apologies for the harsh lighting... it was mid afternoon.)<br>

<a title="Untitled by adamwilson.photo, on Flickr" href=" spacer.png src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3202/3281429161_ff68817389.jpg" alt="" width="700" height="468" /></a></p>

<p><a title="Untitled by adamwilson.photo, on Flickr" href=" spacer.png src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3141/3281436345_79683404d6_o.jpg" alt="" width="700" height="468" /></a></p>

<p><a title="Untitled by adamwilson.photo, on Flickr" href=" spacer.png src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3310/3281429459_2bf32e689f_o.jpg" alt="" width="700" height="468" /></a><br /></p>

<p >I spent this week working on old photos and reworked some early digital portrait with Elements 6. At the end of 2006 that was around the time I put away my film Pentax ME Super body and switch almost completely to digital. This was one of the first photos taken during the shoot as the model was watching TV unaware I was taking the shot. I had taken a few test shots and was over exposed, I looked up I seen this natural pose, as a guess I stepped down the AV 2 steps and focused from the chest not to catch her attention and was able to take this candid photo. The photo was taken with the Pentax K10D sigma 105 f2.8 dg macro with various lights and reflectors. F 3.5 1/45sec iso 100 Photoshop removed color, adjusted levels added color tone and noise, no cloning or masking, and cropped.Original photo 2697pixel by 3060 pixel </p><div>00SSsE-109939584.thumb.jpg.5eb112f66a38da1b9e87c2ffb30f0f8b.jpg</div>

<p>Adam: all I want to know is - did they say they were from Topeka? We won't even claim em. Wish they'd just pack up & move out of state. If not, where from? So I'll know where to suggest our Topeka crazies go to...</p>

<p>Well, I've enjoyed the POW since it started, WHERE HAS ROSE GONE?!?!?! And this week is no exception. <br>

Ron: Coke is my favorite, but then, I'm totally addicted to the stuff, so maybe it's just personal bias....<br>

Steve: I more want to know how the duck died w/ it's neck under a picnic table.... looks like a suicide<br>

Shiva: always love your stuff - it's more funky that most of us get. Loving the 1st & 3rd. really. I like techno, so #3 is cool. And yeah, #1 does look like a drill, glad to know you mix your coffee w/ spoons, not drill bits :D<br>

Garry: the temple is someplace I'd love to see. All that color and detail, overwhelming to try and see it all. but the b&W w/ the sky is just STUNNING. those were some great clouds!<br>

Andrew: the birds made me giggle. very cute.</p>

<p>Between every one (all 4 of us) being sick - at least one person at all times since, like, September, and me being pregnant, I've barely moved off my couch. Maybe I should be practicing pics of solid reds (the couch). It's really starting to bug me that I haven't gone anywhere with camera in hand for the sole purpose of taking pics just for the heck of it. Ok, so I'm also extremely cold and I've gone into reptile-like hibernation (no, I don't get overly hot from being preggo, I'm weird) and I refuse to go outside if it's 40s and under.<br>

Keep the work coming guys - maybe the energy level will get up, and so will the motivation from watching all your stuff. Which I am still enjoying - i'd just be tossing up past weddings right now. Luv youse guys!</p>

<p>Adam, don't feel bad about your preachers. I once went to a David Copperfield performance as a kid. In my town, we had a famous crackpot street preacher. The guy was protesting David Copperfield with a sign that said, "Magic is the work of the devil." The magic show was about stage illusions. </p>

<p>For my POW, it'd be snaps from an equipment setup. They'd be POW because I made them in digital JPG; I stopped caring and started using the K200D more. Ended up making my first little how-to video. Shameless plug for that below. It's a sexy thriller.</p>

<p>http://www.agxphoto.info/agxphoto.info/agxphoto.info_photoBlog_featured_entries/Entries/2009/2/10_Hand_Loading_Bulk_Film_Into_35mm_Cassettes_with_a_Changing_Bag.html<br>

or </p>

<p>

<p>Those were good portraits, Ian.</p><div>00ST48-109977584.jpg.16c890dceed262570c26c36c26d55070.jpg</div>

<p>No ice racing this week... we had rain earlier in the week and apparently there is about 6 inches of water on the track. So went out to shoot one of our other winter sports. Here's a couple shots of some skiing. I tend to overexpose the snow for the skiers. These shots really show that. All with the K10D & the DA*200. <a title="IMGP8781 by Fnawzm, on Flickr" href=" IMGP8781 src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3606/3283230025_dd8d059dde.jpg" alt="IMGP8781" width="500" height="333" /></a> <a title="IMGP8850 by Fnawzm, on Flickr" href=" IMGP8850 src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3272/3284051360_fa4e4e3812.jpg" alt="IMGP8850" width="500" height="332" /></a></p>

<p>My best for this week so far:<br /> Ben, I love the bridge-crossing, but that sky is still to course. <br /> Chune-Hoong: nice work with lights & shadows<br /> Robert: top-class work on the heron pics !<br /> Ronny: you have the gift for spotting scenery. <br /> Jon’s for that orange killing<br /> I like the artistic bw, Garry, and I don’t usually like bw’s<br /> Andrew got some fascinating bird shots, extremely original<br /> Dave: that beech leaf is just perfect, the other is slightly overexposed<br /> Michael’s bike is really my favourite, beautiful styling<br /> And Maria: that spoon in cappuchino was an experiment. <br /> I used a 80-320mm pentax telelens…. Honestly…<br /> with a Raynox 250 macro attached !</p>

<p>Here are some shots that stood out for me this week:</p>

<ul>

<li>Well Dorus, as usual I love your works of art. The basketball net is just simply stunning! It's my pick of the week!</li>

<li>Ben, as far as your painted works go, this is a very good one - I wouldn't mind having that on my wall!</li>

<li>Chune, great use of light. I love the light shadow play.</li>

<li>Ronnie, the feeder shots are definitely alien-like!</li>

<li>John, the close up hand shot is good, but I keep feeling as though it is missing something. It might help to see the object the hand is working on?</li>

<li>Andrew - very unique! I fully believe the birds were just sliding out of pleasure! I have a budgie that slides around - purely out of the fun of it!</li>

<li>Dave, the sycamore shot is great, and yes, a little more dof would have really made it. The moss and lichen shot is also pleasant - don't know what you see that is not satisfying you?</li>

<li>Arkadiy - that black and white flower is really eye-catching!</li>

</ul>

<p>Good on all the other shots too guys - nice stuff!</p>

<p>My three favs for the week are,<br>

@Ben P's bridge crossing. I love the painted look and u chose a really good subject to spend the time on. WELL DONE!.</p>

<p>@Jon R's orange peeling image. I found myself admiring the creativity of the image. I think sometimes we spend to much time looking for the perfect image, that we miss the ones that are right in front of us. Well done.</p>

<p>@ME's handle bars image. I like the comp and PP work. This one really works for me.</p>