expose for shadows, develop for highlights now inverted on digital?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p>IMO, a correct exposure doesn't clip highlight or shadow, within the limits of the film/camera.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The only thing I'd ad to the above is taking the scene dynamic range into account. Say the scene has a 15 stop DR, I'd like to clip neither but my capture device can only capture 13 stops. In this case, short of HDR/multiple captures, we have to decide where to clip (shadows to retain highlights, or highlights to retain shadows). But every photographers has struggled with this since day one. So:</p>

<p>A correct exposure doesn't clip highlight or shadow, within the limits of the film/camera/dynamic range of the scene.<br /></p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<blockquote>

<p>A correct exposure doesn't clip highlight or shadow, within the limits of the film/camera/dynamic range of the scene.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Andrew,<br>

Not to belabor the point but I would add to this statement: ...And exposes those highlights (in which one wishes to preserve detail) sufficiently that they just approach the point of clipping.</p>

<p>That, I think, is the essence of ETTR.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>

<p >Not to belabor the point but I would add to this statement: ...And exposes those highlights (in which one wishes to preserve detail) sufficiently that they just approach the point of clipping.</p>

<p >That, I think, is the essence of ETTR.</p>

<p > </p>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p >Agreed! </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)