The great shot you just can't get

<p>Just venting here: The St. Johns bridge in Portland, Oregon is probably one of the most filmed bridges in the U.S. Over the years I've seen it in many major car manufacturer's commercials, and it was in the movie, "Pay It Forward," where the drug addict stops a woman from jumping off it. Its gothic spires just inspire you to take pictures of it. I approach that bridge from German Town road on the south end of the bridge every day, and about this time of year the sunrise can be spectacular: Mt. Hood broods in the background, the water is mirroring brilliant pastel oranges, pinks and reds, and those Gothic spires stand in stark relief. Last year I walked up and down German Town road (perfect elevation for the shot) trying to find a place where tree branches and foliage wouldn't ruin a long exposure- Couldn't find one. I found a marginal spot in the driveway to some condominiums with a bit of structure that would be tolerable in the shot and started setting up the tripod- Got kicked out.<br>

This year I decided to scout a spot down on the river one afternoon, and it turns out there's only one decent roadway at the right distance west of the bridge to get the proper orientation of the bridge, the sky, the mountain and the sunrise- The elevation is all wrong, and I'd be shooting through a nine foot hurricane fence... Can anyone make me feel better by having a sadder story than mine?</p>

<p>I would dearly love to photograph the Amish. I would love to spend time as a welcome visitor and take candid shots of their day-to-day lives and activities, with both artistic and photoethnographic objectives. Of course that would be impossible, because the Amish feel it's wrong to be photographed.</p>

<p>PS... A trick I've seen described here... When challenged (e.g. in the driveway), some photographers say they were sent out to take some scouting photos for the next (insert producer's name) movie. I could never pull that off, but perhaps you could. ;-)</p>

<p>There was a seriously disturbed man that lived in a trailer on my way to the big city. He had painted all over his trailer in 8" high letters talking about how he had been accused of threatening Pres. Eisenhower (and this was in the 70s). I always meant to stop and photograph his ravings, but never quite had the time. Then one day, the trailer wasn't there any more.<br>

On the same road, further along, there was a "Lawless Frosty Shop" which always amused me, but I never got it either.</p>

<p>More sadly, for many years as I worked along the Ohio River, there were two elderly gentlemen who still farmed with mule teams. Again, always too little time as we drove past in or out of the sites we were working on. Then, one year that too was gone when we came back after the winter.</p>

<p>I try to learn "to get it while you can" (<a href="

), but I'm still sore at myself about these. At least your bridge is still there.</p>

<p>Robbie,</p>

<p>If you're not afraid of heights, rent a cherry-picker truck -- you know, the kind the electric company uses to work on your lines. I have seen them available for rent. When was the last time you saw a cop asking a cherry-picker to move on? You might have to park, elevate yourself to new heights, reject the spot, move on and do it again over and over again until you find the right spot. Selling the image just once might get your rental fee back. Shoot hundreds of photos during the time you rent the vehicle.</p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>Frans, thanks for providing the images- They illustrate why the bridge is so "photogenic." There are a million angles that will get great shots, and I especially like the picture where you captured Mt. St. Helens in the background. However, I'll give you a hunnerd bucks if you can find an angle for the long exposure of the sunrise I described... Will and Chris, you guys go the limit! I have a fairly tall SUV, and momentarily considered setting up the tripod on the roof to try to get over the hurricane fence. I decided the wear and tear on the paint wasn't worth it . My paint, that is. You guys gave me an even better idea than the chainsaw: I could rent an even taller SUV, which would be cheaper than a cherry picker, and I doubt the rental agency would check for scratches on the roof when I returned it... :-)</p>