That indispensible gadget

musings

<p>On a lighthearted note, I was curious regarding other photographers' favorite gadget. You know the one -- the "didn't-think-I-needed-it-but-now-can't-do-without-it" device that is always with you for a shoot.</p>

<p>Mine? The Manfrotto Super Clamp. I bought it after a on-location portrait session where the boom stand for the hairlight was in a precarious position (the cramped room left me little choice). I had a hard time focusing on the job because I was always wondering if the boom was going to tip over. I thought to myself that a clamp on top of the backdrop stands would have solved the issue, so I bought the Super Clamp afterwards for $33 in case I found myself in a similar situation down the road.</p>

<p>Now, I use the Super Clamp all of the time. I don't even use the boom stand anymore because the clamp does the job holding the light in the right place. Mount a camera to a tree branch? No problem. Mount a light to a post? No problem. Love, love, love this clamp!</p>

<p>There are so many photo gadgets nowadays that it makes my head spin. If you have a favorite gadget that has a permanent spot in your bag and in your heart, then please share...cheers, Jeff</p>

<p>Thanks, Colton -- If you're using your flash for wildlife, are you also using a Better Beamer with it for your long telephoto shots? It uses a Fresnel lens and really focuses the beam on the subject. It's not too expensive if I remember right, and I've heard people rave about it (I don't own one, so I can't offer my own opinion on the Beamer).</p>

<p>The Gitzo 321 tripod I've had it since 1984. It was the third "professional" grade piece of equipment I bought. The first two were a Nikon F and a 55mm f/3.5 Micro-Nikkor; those were stolen in 1991. It replaced both a massive Majestic tripod and a Leitz Tiltall tripod. The Gitz gets used on a weekly if not daily basis. One leg has been replaced and I probably went through about a half dozen heads before settling on an Arca-Swiss B1 in the mid to late 1990s. I thas supported everything from a 6x17cm V-Pan Mark III, Sinar and Arca-Swiss view cameras, HAsselblads, RZ67s, various Fuji medium format film and D-SLR cameras, as well as Various Nikons, Canons, & leicas with lenses up to 600mm f/4 Nikkors and EF Canons. I've taken the center column out and splayed near flat, attached it to tall ladders, suspended it from ceilings, flown it around the world & just let bounce around in the back of my car/truck/Element for months on end.</p>

<p>As David Burnett http://www.davidburnett.com/ once said: "Never underestimate the value of a good tripod when you are in a dark cathedral in Romania."</p>

<p>Manfrotto 055xb tripod (well, really any decent one). I received it for Christmas from my wife...and well...I can't not shot with it. Or at least that is how I feel like. Really I just use it for landscapes, but I like doing a lot of landscapes. The only other thing I would consider can't live without is my Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 mc lens. That thing is probably on my camera a good half the time. Other lenses I have more fun with sometimes, like my 70-210/2.8 or 28/1.8, but that 50/1.4 pretty much lives on my camera.</p>

<p>My homemade "super clamp". All you need is a ball head adapter and a vice-grip plier. I mated the two by drilling a hole thru the vice-grip and securing the ball head with a lock washer and nut. My only word of caution; this bugger will clamp down as securely as you want by adjusting the vice grip pressure, but it will leave a mark on whatever you clamp to...so make sure the door handle you might use is on a stranger's car :-)</p><div>00SQw9-109463584.JPG.3ec9b1cd78175475db33cfac921d003f.JPG</div>

<p>The Super Clamp is handy. But I've got to say the handiest tool for me is the Manfrotto Spring Clamp. I bought a dozen of these clamps on ebay for $10. I didn't know how handy they were until I started using them. I could use a dozen more.</p><div>00SR0l-109477684.jpg.7e078fc1b955e433393f5b83139b4445.jpg</div>

<p>I have seen the spring clamps and they look handy. What do you mount on the clamp, extra strobes or something else? I presume it would have to be something rather light since you can't ratchet down the clamp pressure. Then again, it's a Manfrotto, so I am sure it's rock steady.</p>

<p>Steve -- I would agree with you as well on the gaffer tape. Sometimes, though, they're hard to find, so I have also substituted black hockey tape (my oldest son plays so we have lots of this on hand). Very, very handy...which reminds me that I should probably stock up on some more gaffer tape before I run out.</p>

<p>I primarily use spring clamps with speedlites, reflectors, etc., but have used it several times with a D200 mounted on it, for remote shooting. There is a lot of tension in the spring, so it hangs on securely. And mounting another spring clamp on the jaws of the one holding the speedlite or camera will double the pressure for security. A little "Rube Goldbergish", but works like a charm.</p>

<p>3M brand blue masking tape. Excellent stuff. Always have a roll in every bag.</p>

<p>Gentle enough to tape a photo to wallpaper and peel off without damage to either. Secure enough to hold my thin magnet wire shortwave stealth antenna to the outside window and wall of my apartment building through a weekend of rain and wind. I even use it to secure the film door of my N6006 since the stupid plastic door latch broke years ago. The blue tape holds it securely but doesn't leave any gummy residue, even after a year.</p>

<p>It long ago replaced duct tape for my expedient adhesive needs (aka <em>hillbilly home repairs</em> ). I got fed up with the gummy residue, which requires a solvent like WD-40 or lighter fluid to remove. Save the duct tape for ducts.</p>

<p>Hmmm, I actually have a roll of that in the garage I use for masking wall trim when painting, but hadn't thought about it for other photo uses. I always thought it was too lightweight for holding things, but Lex's comments are convincing me to try it instead of my usual hockey tape. Gonna give it a go...</p>

<p>Duct tape doesn't even work well on ducts, it starts to peel lose after a few years. You need to use the metalized HVAC tape. That stuff will stick like crazy to metal or itself. It also leaves little residue. The only thing I use Duct tape for is boxes. I use that 3m blue painters tape or metalized HVAC tape for my needs.</p>