Which Equipment to take.

<p>Silly question, I know but I was hoping to get some feedback and opinions on this. I'm traveling next week on a trip with three stops. First to Paris for a day, then to Pakistan and then on to India.<br>

I generally bring a digital body and a medium format body. Problem is, I've quit taking so much stuff with me and bought a nice Pelican 1510 to hold just the right amount in carry-on. Right now, I'm planning to bring my 30D for a digital and the following lenses. 50/1.4 Zuiko, 85/1.8 Canon, 24-70L Canon, 28/2 Kiron, 135/2.8 Zuiko and a 150/3.5 Mamiya-Sekor from an m645. All the non-Canon lenses are mounted on adapters to mate with my body. <br>

I've decided to bring the m645 film body as well. I want to take the Rolleiflex, but don't want to have to mess with a light meter, as I'll be doing mostly on-the-fly street shooting. Most of my subjects are people, not places, though I do enjoy a bit of that as well. I'm just not too good at that.<br>

My problem is that I've got one more slot open to take a 35mm film body. I narrowed down my choices from my gear stash to either an old EOS Elan 7 or a OM-4ti. I'm curious as to what opinions people have to which will give me better pics. I don't mind focusing manually, so that isn't an issue but I'm wondering the meter in the EOS body will be better than the OM. Both are in perfect mechanical shape in every way. <br>

I know it's a vague question, but does anyone have any opinions about this that I can use as a sounding-board?</p>

<p>Be careful with India custom.<br>

About two years ago, there was a photographer that went to India, and while going through customs, he was required to take all of his camera equipment out of his bag. Then one of the customs officers took one of his lenses. When he protested, a highr ranking customs officer looked over his equipment, and took another lens, and told him if he did not like it, he could get back on the plane and go home.<br>

This was in a photographic magazine, but Ican not remember which one.<br>

He was advised tro file a formal complaint with the Indian government and the U.S. State Department.</p>

<p> The equipment that you're most familiar with will yield the better pictures. The meters will only 'work' as well as the understanding you have gleaned from practice.</p>

<p>One can only imagine how much you used to take. Sounds like a great trip.</p>

<p>That's a lot of travel among continents. If I were you, I would only shoot digital and leave the film cameras home. The last time I attempted to do both digital and film was the photo trip to China. It was quite cumbersome. I brought 40+ rolls of Fuji Velvia and ended up shooting only 3.5 rolls; not to mention that I felt no need to get the film developed until months afterwards, as the images were already covered digitally.<br>

<br />Have fun,<br />Mary</p>

<p>I agree that shooting film will be unneccessary. It will not be worth the hassle and weight if you already have such a nice EOS 30D with you. I would rather sell the film gear to get more Canon autofocus lenses for this trip. And I would definitively purchase a super-wide zoom, even if this means buying a second hand Tokina 12-24mm lens! I hope you also bring your Speedlite with you, it is a wonderful tool for fill-flash and indoor lighting.</p>

<p>Christian, it is alright.</p>

<p>When you leave the film gear at home you will always think how useful it would have been and "how great this shot would look in medium format."</p>

<p>But if you bring it with you will always go like "nah, I don't need to waste film on this because I already have some great pictures taken by the dSLR" or "now is an unconvenient time to take the film camera and prepare it for shooting." In the end it is just like Mary said, you will not really use your analog equipment...</p>

I tend to agree with John, that's a healthy equipment bag you'll be hauling around. Unfortunately I'm no better. I will go against most of the others here and suggest you leave the digital at home. Ditto for the 150 unless you are taking an mf body for it. Pick one more from your list and leave it too. Three 35mm bodies but only because you will be going so many miles. Lots of film, don't forget the x-ray protection. Small flash just in case. Spare batteries as appropriate. And if there is a little extra room in the bag stuff some clean underwear and socks, small toothpaste and brush. Now off with you. Rick H.