Should I pay if starting a project

jhshelley

<p>Hi<br>

I was in discussion, talking about the possibility of starting a photo project, involves photographing a few people initially, more later, who are involved in various buisnesses. Kind of social documantary if you like.<br>

I do this as a hobby, but if the work was liked enough, I may be asked to exhibit first and possibly produce book later.....OK maybe this won't happen either but just in case a dream comes true.<br>

In opening, I was asked would the subjects (models?) of the photo's be getting paid for my recording their work ? </p>

<p>My own first reaction is No - I'm doing this as hobby, with maybe potential, but would have no problem giving each person a signed and/or framed copy of image of choice.</p>

<p>What do you think - Should I pay up front to promote essentially someone else's work ? If yes a nominal fee? and how much ?</p>

<p>Would like to hear what you think - Thanks</p>

<p>James</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm confused. You said that it is just a hobby, yet you asked "Should I pay up front to promote essentially someone else's work?"</p>

<p>You aren't promoting someone else unless there is some way to promote it. You suggest that more MIGHT happen. That isn't likely. I'm not saying that your work isn't good enough, but the vast majority of personal projects don't translate into shows or books.</p>

<p>I wouldn't completely cut off the payment angle, but I would strongly suggest trying for the print exchange. If you show examples of the project to the potential subject, it might convince them to get on board. But remember to include the possibility of a show or book without further model compensation in the model release.</p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>What you are doing is purely speculative at this point.</p>

<p>I agree with John essentially. I'd offer them a complimentary print from the shoot and let it go at that.</p>

<p>If asking for a signed model release, you might have to give them a $1 as token payment, but you'll need to check with local laws regarding contracts to see if that's necessary.</p>

<p>Thanks folks for the inputs.</p>

<p>It is an early discussion, but it seems as if we are thinking along similar lines AKA print exchange.<br>

The 'hobby' thing is because I have a'real' job, photography is the outside of work passion bit, so costs are always self financed. This particular project just happens to have that edge of potential. So trying to think in advance before getting myself bogged down in contracts etc.</p>

<p>Anyway appreciate the comments.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>James</p>