Burned highlights or bad development?

galileo42

<p>I am slowly returning to processing b&w films after a long hiatus, and I'm still a bit unsure of what I'm doing. Take a look at this. Is this burned out white patch on the arm of the girl with no gradual nuance towards grey a result of overdelopment? Or underdevelopment? This is TMX new at 400, processed in D-76 1+1 for 10'15" min. (per the MDC) in a 300 ml Paterson tank, with Kodak's recommended agitation. The rest of the film (mostly exterior snaps) looks okay. Also, I must add that one edge of the negative is dark, while the other edge is transparent. What does this mean?</p>

<p>Sorry, I goofed while uploading the photo. Now, I don't know how to do it in «Edit» mode. I'm doing it in a next post.</p>

<p>I see two potential problems. Feel free to correct me if I guess wrong.</p>

<ol>

<li>This appears to be a scan of the negative. I see what appears to be problems typical of scanning b&w negatives: exaggeration of grain; ragged transitions resembling posterization rather than the smooth gradations you'd see even from grainy negatives printed conventionally.</li>

<li>Harsh lighting. The main problems with the highlights are hard lighting, exaggerated by reflections from oily skin. That's a job for careful use of lighting and cosmetics, not something that can be easily fixed in exposure or development. Only retouching can help with this after the fact. </li>

</ol>

<p>Thanks for your answers. Why, of course, it could be the scanning. I have checked the neg, and I don't see this white (dark) patch on the arm. In fact the neg is much smoother. This was scanned using a Nikon Coolscan 4000 (at 4000 dpi) in Nikon Scan 4. I use Color negative, 14 bits and 16 samples. I've almost always scanned that way, getting good results most of the time (but not always). Maybe I don't have the right combination for this film. I will try something else.</p>

<p> Yes, the lighting was contrasted. I just quickly grabbed a few snaps of the model as well as I could between two digital session. Still.</p>

<p>I have a different workflow than you since I have a different scanner and software, Epson V700 and the low end Silverfast version. I couldn't get decent b&w scans until I switched to scanning as positive in grayscale and inverting in PS. When I'd scan as a negative I'd get both ends of the histogram chopped off. I've also tried scanning color but I didn't see any improvements and it added time to my workflow so I stopped doing it.</p>

<p>It could be that my cheap Silverfast version is the problem but scanning as a positive is worth checking out.</p>