Best carrying situtation for M series cameras

andrew_viny

<p>Hey guys I've recently become displeased with my camera strap. Because of the location of the strap lug the strap makes the camera less comfortable for me to hold. The question I pose to you all is... what is a better way? Is there a wrist loop that screws into the strap lug? I basically want a strap that doesn't attach at the right hand strap lug. Would a smaller strap be a good solution? Thanks.</p>

<p>~Andrew</p>

<p>You have stumbled upon the motivation for the original "two-lug" Leica M5 body. Unfortunately, having a camera hanging that way around one's neck looks very odd, and it means that you normally have to reorient the body as you pick it up.<br>

Or, you may just be finding that all the "anti-scratch hardware" on the strap around the lug makes that area very bulky. Remove the all the "body protectors", use a small D-shaped split ring, and let the body get worn.</p>

<p>I would not attach a strap to only one strap lug. The lugs are not designed for that kind of stress. They have been known to pull loose when used that way. There are wrist straps that attach to the tripod socket, but they are a nuisance at best; at worst, they can unscrew and come loose. I would stay with a strap that attaches to both lugs, with a minimum of bulk at the attachment point, as John suggested. The Domke Gripper and the Tamrac straps are not too bulky, and they have a fastener that lets you disconnect the neck strap, from the part that attaches to the camera when you want to work without a strap. </p>

<p>I'd recommend the Domke Gripper, as well. I use it with various cameras including a IIIf. I prefer the ones that don't detach. They are very light and flexible and I usually wrap the strap around my wrist firmly to shoot.</p>

<p>Using what I think is the standard Leica M strap (nylon) with slim plastic neck "pad", I shoot the same way my Dad showed me about 30 years ago with Nikon SLRs with their standard slim leather strap. I basically overhand the strap on the right side very near the camera body and wrap it around my hand and then holding the camera on the right side in a comfortable position with finger over the shutter, I can pull on the strap, which has the effect of pulling the camera tight into my hand. Its hard to describe, but it works very well for me, and I have never liked the strap lugs on the CL being on the side opposite the shutter so that this technique is not possible.</p>

<p>In general, I avoid such questions, but 30 years ago, I simply purchased a 1/4 -20 bolt (tripod thread) from the local hardware store, ground the head down a bit, drilled a hole through it, and affixed a split ring and short, home-made strap between it and the most comfortable strap eyelet on the body. Had the added benefit of taking care of the bottom plate when changing film.<br /> But, then, I couldn't pose a fetishistic question to the interweb about how best to carry my Leica. I simply made do.<br /> BTW, never again felt the need for such an arrangement.<br /> YMMV.<br /> <br /> Cheers!</p>

<p>Chandos</p>

<p>I think carrying a real, physical Leica is too risky. So I walk around in the city with my hands about 6 inches apart, fingers slightly curled, and shoot an air Leica. If I see something interesting, I blink my eyes. One blink for B&W, two for color. Sometimes I bracket the exposure (3 blinks), but mostly I get it right on the first blink. The air Leica is just that good. Most of my pictures are fantastic. I'd show them but I'm having a little trouble getting them on to a computer. </p>