nikkormatic el versus minolta xe 7 reliability/viewfinder

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p> would anyone know how the Nikkormat viewfinder compares to the Minolta XE 7 in terms of brightness? I have the FT 3 and it's fine but I don't know if the Nikkormat EL has the same viewfinder. I'd also like to know if the Minolta is a reliable as the Nikkormat EL. Any info will be appreciated.</p>

<p>Vince</p>

<p>Don't know the EL but do know about the XE's, so will describe the Minolta and maybe someone will do same for the Nikon.</p>

<p>The XE series have 18 lines/mm fresnels for focusing screens, with split-image center and micro-prism surround. These are the same type screens as used in early SrT's and are not as bright as later SrT, XD or XG screens. In the XE's the screens are not interchangable.</p>

<p>The XE series have an age-related frailty in their large top circuit plates: these were early printed plastic boards and they are fragile (from Tomosy's book, roughly the same problem in the EL). Symptoms of these boards being compromised would be intermittant metering and/or wavering metering needle.</p>

<p>The XE series also have a weakness due to built-in complexity. There is a slip joint, held by a screw, between parts of the film advance operation ring. This ring is buried deep inside the top cover. A misalignment, that can happen over aging or heavy use, between these two parts usually is shown by the shutter not getting charged upon winding.</p>

<p>All things being equal I decided to go for the Nikkormat. I hope the Nikon reputation for quality stands up, I've read they were very pain staking in their design of their first auto camera. As to the viewfinder brightness, I 've been advised the older Nikkormats are still easy to focus. Hope the infromation is correct.<br>

Thanks,</p>

<p>Vince</p>