First time in my life thinking about switch to Nik...

eric_chiu2

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>i have looked with much attention the files examples canon of 5 ds mk II, and are much much better in low lights and wirh much less grain than my i ds mk II.Also files NEF of D700 are good, but if you have lens and other from canon, imo,you keep canon.<br />Beside this, you may work very better in post production for weddings, retailing crops which are for many clients (and also for us sometimes,) really photographies and not poor crops, the advantage of many pixels.You'll never make a wedding in a desert storm...Only ergonomy perhaps is not maximum, but the files of 5ds mk ii for me now are maximum, the best.</p>

<p>I suppose you already have several lenses. If I were you I would stick with my Canon gear, because, as others have mentioned previously, both brands have to evolve if they want to sell their bodies, and Canon is not sleeping for sure. However, you may want to consider to complement your gear with a D700 (or D300 or ...) if you think that you will need it. As for me, I use equipment according to purpose...for example for available light and perspective I pick up my D700, for telephotos+IR I still love my D70s, and for portraits and sunny outdoor with strong contrasts the S5 is excellent. With Nikons there are lenses which perform better on one body than the other (e.g. D70s+180mm/f2.8 is unbeatable in sharpness, but the same lens on the S5 gives inferior results, and vice versa with the 50mm/f14, according to my subjective experience), so this should also be taken in consideration if you decided to switch or merely complement. But I guess with Canon this may be similar.</p>

<p>You need a Canon 3d that has not come out yet. Canon is still evolving and adjusting to the expense and R&D required for digital DSLRs and so is not able to deliver this in between model.</p>

<p>Next they will have to expend large amounts of money developing a digital version of the M6 with APS-C or FF sensor (Imagine a $2,500 version of the Panasonic G1 with a larger sensor made by Canon). This afterall is the next direction that digital cameras will go. If you include enough computing power and speed, contrast detect AF will probably be as fast as current AF and with more flexibilty as to where and how it focuses. Very quiet, no mirror, no glass prism and mis-aligned viewing screens, accurate AF with any lens, accurate exposure preview, less weight and size, potential for better and lighter wide angle lenses. Oh I forgot - movies. Canon and all others are well aware of this potentially great product. I just hope they do not take too long.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Bob A advised that if you can't get 'excellent wedding pictures with the 5D, it's probably not the fault of the equipment'. "<br /> This attitude is silly and misses the point of the the original post. You can get a great picture with Drebel Xs/1000D if you are prepared to work at it. Though for a variety of reasons you won't get a high rate of keepers when event shooting.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you cannot get a "high rate of keepers when event shooting" with a 5D or 5D2, your problems are not with the camera. They lie elsewhere.</p>

<p>Paul, while I do not doubt that there are differences between model X from manufacturer A and model Y from manufacturer B...</p>

<ul>

<li>over time the differences cut both directions</li>

<li>the differences are most often quite trivial in terms of their effect on actual photographs</li>

<li>switching from one brand to the other for such reasons has its own negative effects on one's photography, and</li>

<li>in the end rarely brings more than a small and temporary change, if that.</li>

</ul>

<p>As I always write in the Brand X versus Brand Y threads: "Both Nikon and Canon make excellent cameras and camera systems. Both systems are used by excellent photographers to make outstanding photographs. You cannot tell by looking at their work which system was used."</p>

<p>Pick a brand and stick with it. In the end <em>it makes little difference to your photography</em> whether it is Nikon or Canon.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>I would call myself a semiprofessional</strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I hope you express this to clients in one way or another (directly saying the statement would be the most direct way....) so they realize what they are getting.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>as a professional photographer, its a responsbility that to give my clients the best I could. Make sure my equipments up to date is one of it.</strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Let's get real...at this level of equipment the biggest difference that could be made is the eye and brain behind the camera, not the camera itself. How about practicing a bit more with the equipment you use? I'd say the same if it were Nikon. If the greatest concern is the customer and you describe yourself as semi-pro then maybe do some free work at weddings as a second photog or for folks how cannot afford a full-time pro then honing your craft would be the best improvement for your clients. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I just read the whole thread. I must get a life LOL. I like the nikon brick picture the best. Sorry I have nothing to contribute I think all that can be said has been said on this subject.<br>

Sergio (my camera is better than yours, my camera......)</p>

<p>I just read the whole thread. I must get a life LOL. I like the nikon brick picture the best. Sorry I have nothing to contribute I think all that can be said has been said on this subject.<br>

Sergio (my camera is better than yours, my camera......)</p>

<p>If I were in your boat, I wouldn't sweat it. To suddenly decide that Nikon is the only option would be a mistake. Both companies are between cycles right now, but Canon is due for upgrades sooner than Nikon. The EOS 1D Mark IV should come by Fall 2009, and it is likely to be 14-16 MP and 1.3x crop with 10 fps with lower noise and power consumption, not to mention possibly video capture and sensor cleaning...it doesn't take an informed beta tester to know that.</p>

<p>That said, the Nikon D700 and D3 are stellar. I've worked with them, and everything you've read is true. They are hard to beat. If you go Nikon, you have to go for least a D700, because anything less (eg D300) would be a step backward in terms of sensor size (coming from Canon 1.3x)</p>

<p>One advantage of Nikon bodies over Canon that is related to focus is that you get focus direction arrows in the viewfinder in addition to just focus confirmation. However, isn't there a split-image focusing screen available for the 1D series?</p>

<p>Nikon would be a step backward in terms of losing your 50/1.2 L. Nikon has no AF lens of that focal length with that quality level and speed. Sure, a Nikkor 50/1.4 along with the higher ISO performacne could compensate...but the look would be a bit different - slightly greater DOF. Then again, you'd have to get slightly closer with the full-frame sensor compared to your current 1.3x, so it might just offset that issue.</p>

<p>Also, Nikon has nothing equivalent to the 17-40 L. Then again, if you give up the 50/1.2 L, you could almost pay for the difference between the 17-40 and a Nikon 14-24 with the money you recoup from the 50/1.2's sale.</p>

<p>One thing you have to be careful of with Nikon is the lenses. Some older lenses use older the camera body's focusing motor. On a camera like the D3, they can be just as fast or even faster (as is the case with the older 50/1.4 versus the new one with the motor) compared to lenses with the internal USM motor. However, the D700 has a slightly slower AF motor than the D3, so those older prime lenses may not give you as fast an AF response as you had with the Canon gear. In addition, you cannot manually touch-up focus with the lens ring engaged in AF mode on the older D lenses. You have to switch to MF. Now, you can totally sidestep this issue by only buying internal motor lenses. The 14-24/2.8 ED, 24-70/2.8 ED, 50/1.4 ED, and 70-200/2.8 ED are all among the internal motor variety of Nikkor lens.</p>

<p>You also get live view and sensor cleaning on the D700, while the D3 has live view but no sensor cleaning. Neither have video recording like the 5D Mark II though. And yes, the D700 is magnesium alloy like the D3, EOS 1D Mark II, etc. But isn't the EOS 5D Mark II also?</p>

<p>Canon isn't likely to come out with another 12 MP full-frame camera, but the next 1.3x EOS 1D is likely to have high ISO performance equal to the D700 and D3. It's the way technology is going. The D700 seems to have hit a sweet spot.</p>

<p>But when all is said and done, do you really have to upgrade? Are you really being limited by your 1D II? Or is it giving you everything you want? Are you willing to give up the 50/1.2 L? Are you willing to lose money to switch to Nikon? And are you willing to screw your lenses backwards? Just kidding on that last comment...but I hope my viewpoints were helpful. I've worked with the D700 as well as older Nikons, and I've edited files from the EOS 1D Mark II, and original EOS 1D...and also the EOS 40D and 30D...so I do think I have some valid experience regarding your question of whether or not to switch...honestly, all the cameras above seem pretty equivalent in image quality. I didn't see any real differences that would make one notably superior over another.</p>

<p>Best of luck, and tell us what you end up deciding. Above all, use whatever you decide to use to the best of your ability.</p>

<p>Seriously. Rent a D3 and a usual lens you use. Use it in the enviornment you operate in. It will cost alot less than the switch if it turns out to be a mistake. It will allow you to form your own professional opinion about the combo vs listening to others opinion on whether to switch or not. You will know immediatley whether or not you like the feel, performance, IQ, menus.</p>

<p>I completely understand your position. You just want a camera to get out of your way and let you work on images. You...like me want the best equipment possible to offer the best images possible. Some times the better tool will give you the same end result as a lesser tool with a little post production. Except now with the newer better tool you wont spend as much time behind the computer, instead you will be out shooting another job.</p>

<p>You must think what you have to do to your images to make them great that your current gear does not do. Then find within reason what you think will do it better without the extra effort. Rent and try that system out. It will be as fool proof as possible.</p>

<p>I use a Canon 1D3, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS regularly and am very happy with it. Besides the glitch I caused last friday. But now very happy. I dont know if there is anything out there....yet that can make my images better without eating the cost of a switch....because if it is, its not within the brand. And then....was it worth the cost. Couple hundred yes, thousands no. But you have a 1DIIn. Maybe it will help you. I dont know because I've never used and examined those files.</p>

<p>I have friends in all sorts of trades. And the best ones all you the best tools money can buy.<br>

If a new tool comes out that does the job faster, better with less effort and increases their productivity its in their corner no questions asked. This is the same way. It can be a little brutal on here when asking this question. You will get beat up pretty bad.</p>

<p>I think photogs in general are weird people. Very emotional about this stuff. I watched a Biography special on photography on the Bio channel the other day. Alot Ansle Adams type stuff. Let me tell you. These people are weird. NUTS! I mean yelling at their crew and screaming, "I dont feel the emotion!" "The is bullshit!" " I dont feel connected to my camera!" "I want everything on the set changed now!"</p>

<p>When asked later in an interview these people would cry and say how they were frustrated because they werent feeling the intensity of the subject and when they finally found the emotion, they felt connected to the camera through the scene and achieved bliss"</p>

<p>These people belong in a psyco ward somehwere. I get the feeling there is a little of that in here sometimes. Just ask, "Should I switch to Nikon or Canon" and they come out of the wood work bashing you about how only a photographer can make great images and you are an idiot for thinking a camera can change the outcome." Ken Rockwell says it all the time. "I can make great images with a wood box pinhole camera" Oh yeah, then why the hell do have a D3 and every other camera in between. Because in the same breath, he will tell you that for landscape work, nothing beats his 5D. He likes the low light ability of the D3 because of its Auto ISO. The intelegence factor of it.</p>

<p>You know, I can admit that I actually enjoy using equipment as much as making images just for the tech. aspect alone. I am also a technical junkie. I find it satisfying to just using such tech equipment and seeing how well it works. I like to look at an image and say, "Wow. This a cool shot. And look at all the detail it captured in this low light. Look at all the shadow detail the detail in the highlights too. Both sides are satisfying to me. The image quality and the "image". But dont beat me for that.</p>

<p>I bet the mod's here would like to see the posters get their wish. Everyone stop coming on here and posting questions "they" feel is important to them. You get people on here that hate photo critique requests. Some hate the "Which gear" questions. If they all had their way, the site would shut down.</p>

<p>Its why Bob's posts are always short. Gives and opinion, but encourages the use of the site. Advertisers wont pay if there is no traffic.</p>

<p>As long as we're talking about what we want to see.</p>

<p>Lens improvment. Its needed now. Better wide open performance</p>

<p>Boost the usable DR a bit more. Become stagnent and in some cases moving backwards</p>

<p>Ease up on the NR and actually improve the sensor noise a little more. Its killing the detail in our images.</p>

<p>Lighten or remove the AA Lowpass filters in front of the sensors. I want to see all the detail. Seems theyre getting stronger. Seems like older cameras are sharper. I like the P25 backs. No filter and the images are smokin sharp. They just pop. I can deal with moire later or work around it.</p>

<p>I really wish that people like you keep your dissapointment to yourself as I enjoy reading this forum for info, a camera is a tool that you use, how you use it dictates your knowledge of the tool and what it is capable of, if you purchased the tool in the first instance you should have evaluated it to see if it could do the job you required of it, end of</p>

<p>Go get a Nikon I am sure there are good ones and bad ones some for this job and some for that, know what you want and buy it.</p>

<p>People like you should give us a rest and really it is pointless us replying to these posts as you probably dont have a camera at all but have nothing to do at night except sit on forums as a sado and make guesses, get a life or a camera</p>

<p>I think this thread possibly shows that the purpose here maybe to prevent one making possibly useful and ligitimate criticism of manufacturers goods and rather to PR and defend them, (after all they're doing us all such favours) and of course encourage one into buying. Don't moan, or complain ... buy. Remember the company always has your best interests at heart and is always right, especially when they're wrong.</p>

<p>I used to have nikons when I shot film, and I loved them. I switched to Canon during the early Eos days and I found that I still loved my Nikons (F2a's)..but I rather liked the feel of the Canon body.<br>

I still feel the same way. The canon 1 series just feels more comfortable in the hand and of course thre's the 70-200mm IS 2.8 which I've had for about a year now. And I still love Nikon F2's, I have a hankering after the Nikon wide angle PC lens, but seeing as it won't fit My Canon bodies, then I'll make do with the Canon item, it has its foibles but so what? you or anyone else will never know the difference which brand shot which frame.<br>

There are pros and cons ...but the pros are not conned!<br>

You want one of whatever, then go and buy one, who cares? Does it matter? No it don't. Do it?</p>

<p>"I am a part time wedding and event photographer. I would call myself a semiprofessional"<br>

...<br>

"However, as a professional photographer, its a responsbility that to give my clients the best I could. Make sure my equipments up to date is one of it.<br /> With only a part time job as a photographer, I can't afford a 1Ds mkIII. I have to watch the cost of my spending on equipments also"</p>

<p>Lol!<br>

<br /> How are you both a semi pro, part timer, and a full on professional photographer who needs the absolute latest and greatest?<br>

<br /> If you can't take photos your clients are happy with using the 1DIIN you need to FIND ANOTHER PART TIME CAREER.<br /> <br /> Just saying.<br>

<br /> Actually, on second thought, go buy nikon and stop bugging us on the canon forums ;)</p>