First time in my life thinking about switch to Nik...

eric_chiu2

<p>Sounds like you should be poster boy for Nikon, sell all your gear buy Nikon and then you can sleep at night again. But there are a lot of professionals out there making a great living shooting with Canon and like it. I'm kind of surprised what the big thing is about robust build of camera body especially for wedding photographer. Do you honestly think a camera like 5D or 5DII isn't robust enough build for your type of shooting, give me a break. I didn't realize wedding photography requires a camera built for war time in Iraq. Or is it just you feel you have to have a camera built like a tank or it doesn't cut it, that is your hang up, not anything Canon has done wrong in designing there cameras. So it is simple Eric, sell your gear buy Nikon and you will be happy camper again. BTW I got the new 5DII I think it is absolutely awesome, best camera I have ever had.</p>

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Eric Chiu, what some of us are "crying" about is just some reason <em><strong>why</strong> </em> you think the D700 is more suitable than a 5D Mk II? The thing most reviewers on the Nikon side complain about is the "ergonomics" of the 5D (eg, <a href="http://www.nikond700.com/nikon-d700-review/compared-nikon-d700-vs-canon-5d/">link</a> & <a href="http://www.nikond700.com/nikon-d700-review/nikon-d700-vs-canon-5d-mark-ii/">link</a> ), by which I think they mostly mean it doesn't work the same way as the Nikons they're used to. I have noticed plenty of Canon users complaining about the "ergonomics" of the Nikons, so I am not too impressed with this argument. Even the reviewer above was obliged to acknowledge the superiority of large prints from the original 5D over the D700.</p>

<p>Mike Bisom wrote, <em>"I agree with Eric 100%. Like it or not, Canon reserves it's "best stuff" for the top two bodies. This is simply a fact."</em></p>

<p>Um, yeah, except for its lowest-noise sensor and 1080p video, both of which are causing some photographers to trade in cameras they paid $5-8000 for in favor of the $2700 5DII and D700 users to wonder about switching to Canon.</p>

<p>I see Eric's point - he's right when he says that nothing feels like a 1-series - but I also think it's a momentary thing (i.e., until the Mark IV 1-series bodies come out). Nobody expects Canon to stick with 10mp in its speed-flagship for much longer. I'm guessing the next 1D will be 15-16mp with the speed of the D3. Who knows what the crop factor will be....</p>

<p>I shoot sports professionally. I use a 1DMk3, but that isn't really relevant. One of the best shooters I often see at the same events shoots with two D40s. She's got more magazine deals than me, although I do well with books. But it sure isn't the camera that makes her, or me, successful. If I had to shoot with my 10D, I could make money with it, I used to. Switching is a good way to make sure the camera manufacturers make money. Feel free to do it, but all you are doing is giving them your money for nothing significant in return.</p>

<p><em>All I need are: good low light performance, quick and accurate focus, easy and flexible exposure control, good weather seal, good solid metal body for real life battles</em></p>

<p>The EOS 5D mkII has a metal body and weather seals. Check Canon's Japan site. There are also interviews where Canon has made it clear to the press that both the 5D mkII and the 50D can be used in light to moderate rain.</p>

<p>The 5D mkII should match the Nikon's in noise in print. Per pixel noise will probably be higher, but there are a lot more pixels which means noise is less pronounced in print. Until a site like dpreview does an official test and provides some samples we won't know for sure, but I would be quite surprised if there were any major differences.</p>

<p>I quite frankly don't see the big difference between the 5D's AF/exposure and the 1D's AF/exposure, except in certain narrow situations where having a cluster of points helps tracking (i.e. birds in flight). If you're having trouble getting decent focus and exposure at a wedding even with a freaking Rebel then I don't know what to tell you. Having said that, Canon should ship the 1D AF and exposure modules in all their bodies just for the marketing purposes.</p>

<p>I'm not even sure why you want to buy a new camera. You basically said you don't want the things a new camera can bring you over your current 1D mkII (i.e. more pixels, video), yet you feel the urge to buy not only a new camera, but new lenses as well. And how is all new Nikon equipment going to be cheaper than just buying a newer 1D or 1Ds?</p>

<p>Those Ashton Kutcher commercials must really be reaching people. Canon marketing needs to get to work.</p>

<p><em>One of the best shooters I often see at the same events shoots with two D40s. She's got more magazine deals than me, although I do well with books. But it sure isn't the camera that makes her, or me, successful. If I had to shoot with my 10D, I could make money with it, I used to.</em></p>

<p>Yep. The only time I had trouble with my old 10D's AF was with small birds in flight. Sports was never a problem. Neither were air shows.</p>

<p>Someone will probably read your statement though and conclude that Nikon D40's have better AF than the 1D series. Next week we will see a thread: "I have both a 1D mkIII and a 1Ds mkIII with f/2.8 L zooms, but I'm really thinking of trading them in for Nikon D40s and kit zooms."</p>

<p>If I were starting from scratch right now with my DSLRs, I would very possibly choose Nikon. Not least for the 12-24mm lens which is an astonishing performer and squares off against Canon's current weakest market segment - which would be wide angles. The Nikon full frame bodies also have a lot to recommend them.</p>

<p>However, the differences are not close to being great enough to persuade me to actually SWITCH systems. Sooner or later Canon will leapfrog Nikon again, and the bottom line is that both systems are essentially excellent and more than capable of delivering first rate results to anyone who is willing to invest the time and passion to use them properly.</p>

<p>Switching systems is expensive, time consuming and involves a new learning curve - it's also extremely unlikely that you will see an iota of difference in your images. Personally, I'd rather be taking pictures than splitting hairs between the two leading DSLR systems. At the end of the day they are only capture devices, the art of photography is images and content and the camera has nothing to do with that.</p>

<p>I shoot with a 1dmkIII and a 5D and I shoot 20+ weddings a year... I've been very impressed with both cameras. I should remind you how horrible the Nikon track record is? D200 with its horrible iso? Seriously, the D3 and D700 are winners... but past nikon digital cameras have paled in competition with canon... think about that.</p>

<p>I have a D700 and love it. I shot with a 5D mkII and even though it is a very nice camera and is capable of producing fantastic images, I felt no urge to switch. If someone offered me an even trade between my D700 and lenses and a 5D mkII and equivalent lenses for it, I would not accept the trade. Not to say anything bad about the Canon, because, like I said, it is a fantastic camera, but I would not trade because I am simply that satisfied and comfortable with my D700. One thing I do have to say about the Canon is that it does not feel like a camera of that calibre should, like the D700 does. I think if I went hiking with it, I might worry about it hitting something and breaking, whereas with my D700, I never feel that way simply because of the tangible build quality. I do have to say that it is an advantage that the Canon is quite light and might feel more comfortable for my neck, but the ergonomics of that camera makes my hand want to cramp. I'm rambling now... Anyway, my point is, some like one, some like the other, some like both. Maybe you should rent a D700 and try shooting all day with it. You may love it as I do, you may like your Canon better, but it's a good cost-effective way to find out.</p>

<p>Funny, Nathan, my 5d has no trouble at all with my abuse. I ski with it, I tour with it, and I hike in the pacific NW with it. It gets wet. It works fine. The images I enjoy are wonderful. I'm no Nikon hater and to this day I miss my old FE, but seriously, just because the ergonomics are different, it doesn't mean one is better or worse. You know, I think the last month has established a new low in gear talk in these environs...<br>

</p>

<p> Agree that there is a gap between Canon pro-sumer and professional bodies. But this also true of Nikon. The 700 does not have the same feature set, build quality, or environmental protection as the D3 (or the Canon 1 series).<br>

Weddings are generally not harsh or demanding environments for cameras. Not sure why you don't think the 5D or 5D2 are rugged enough for this application. <br>

From a cost perspective, IMHO, you would be better off buying the 1Ds3 than the 700 and all new glass. </p>

<p>Eric et al:<br>

Eric is in the same position as a host of Canon pro shooters. What made it harder as well for pros to switch is that Canon's lens lineup is a bit better at the moment.<br>

What I do know is that Canon management in Japan are panicking a little with the 1ds2 successor. They are already at FX...that bit was easy for an upgrade. To haul back the mounting groundswell of pros moving to Nikon, they are faced with a whole redesign of the platform...and right in the teeth of a recession. Japanese companies' boards do not tolerate making losses. Heads roll. I know. I worked for Hitachi. The 5 year plan is in concrete. Its ok to go 10% above or 5% below budget but thats all.<br>

So, Eric, Canon will have to do something soon. My pick is July. They will see how the 5D2 and 1DS2 sales go in Q1/09 and then decide how far to go. And to make it tough for you, watch out for a price drop for the D700 soon. There seems to be agreement now amongst reviewers that the Canon and Nikon FX image quality is equal, regardless of mp count, and the points of differentiation are now ergonomics and lens range. And thank heavens for that! It will be good to see the end of the mp wars. No wonder Leica went straight to 37 or so MP with the S3...they know that the profit sweet spot in cameras is in medium format which is not nearly so price sensitive.<br>

We saw this recently in the car industry. When everyone got to 6lt as the mainstream, it made no sense to go further as the incremental difference was not noticed by the average buyer....same now with FX. 26mp is about as far as you can go. I wonder who will be the first to do something different. Right now everyone is watching Canon. I'd hate to be in the chair.</p>

<p>Its good that Nikon are making great usable cameras that photogrphers want and can afford, as canon lose market share they will drop there prices and work on better cameras. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with there current range but a signifcant price drop at the higher end would be nice.</p>

<p>Stephen Asprey wrote: <em>"What I do know is that Canon management in Japan are panicking a little with the 1ds2 successor. . . .They will see how the 5D2 and 1DS2 sales go in Q1/09 and then decide how far to go."</em></p>

<p>What do your sources tell you about Canon's plan to introduce this rumored "1Ds3" in Q4/07? :)</p>

<p><em>"There seems to be agreement now amongst reviewers that the Canon and Nikon FX image quality is equal, regardless of mp count, and the points of differentiation are now ergonomics and lens range. And thank heavens for that! It will be good to see the end of the mp wars."</em></p>

<p>I'm not sure the mp wars are over yet, or that Canon's the only one worried: Nikon users are getting pretty impatient for Nikon to release a 20mp-plus camera for less than $8000, to compete with the $2700 5D2. <em>That's</em> why the D700 prices are falling; if the choice between the D700 and 5D2 were as simple as you present it, D700 prices would be steady or even rising.</p>

<p><em>"26mp is about as far as you can go. I wonder who will be the first to do something different." </em></p>

<p>Actually, I believe that to equal the pixel density of the 50D a full-frame sensor would be in the 35-40mp range, and this is more likely where FX sensors will end up. (See photography expert Harold Merklinger on that, for example: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/50d.shtml )<em><br /> </em></p>

<p><em>"Right now everyone is watching Canon."</em></p>

<p>Google the words "When" and "D700x" and you'll learn that that's not quite true!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Is switching necessary? Add a D700 and keep your canon gear. Just so you know at B&H D700 is right now $2329 w/ free delivery. At end of THIS month Nikon $300 instant rebate expires and as a complication Nikon has announce a across the board 18% increase in cost Feb 1st. Meaning the pro f2.8 zooms will be up about $200 a piece. You can see this price spike happened already by looking at KEH new/used section and then price compare elsewhere. Me I write prices down about once a month so I can tell you FOR CERTAIN that our equiptment buying dollar bills are loosing value. B&H already raised their popular Nikon lenses by $40 to $50 a piece this week. Using KEH prices I saved almost $800 on my Jan 14th 2009 B&H Nikon order.</p>

<p>Why did I add nikon D700 ? I really wanted their ultrawide 14-24mm 2.8 nikon lens and I did not want to adapt it to eos mount. With the price increases on the horizion I acted on Jan 14th and have no intention of selling my Canon gear. A couple bonuses with D700 and Nikon glass. Nikon offers a 2 year factrory warranty extention for $180 thus a total of 3 years coverage. Nikon lenses come with 5 year warranty standard. Unless its old AiS like 50mm 1.2 manual focus, it only comes with 1 year and its a lens that when in stock sells for $580 USA version but who knows once the price pops up in a week.</p>

<p>As the end of month grows closer you'll see the lenses go out of stock. Nikon announced they are not honoring back orders at old Jan 2009 prices. So you need to act soon or watch your dollar bills loose 18% of their purchasing value.</p>

<p>Lindy</p>

<p>I am a Nikon user, sorry! Anyway, 2 years ago all Nikon users were drooling for Canon equipment and complaining how Nikon was behind. Maybe now Nikon is one step ahead but they won't be forever, in a year or 2 Canon will go ahead. Will you go back to Canon again when that time comes? use what you have and get out the most you can out of your actual equipment.</p>

<p>Also I agree with Eric 100%, and I think the gear accounts for more than 10%, mutch more. When I express my concerns on this forums (exactly like you) I get the same brutal answers as you did from some people. In my opinion most of them are blindly attached to Canon, hobysts who don.t understand the needs of a pro. . Now I own the D3 with 24-70/2,8G and I m very happy that I make the move. This camera is perfect in almost every aspects, like my EOS 1v was(it is). Canon really push me to make this step, by not giving me alternatives. (I want a pro body but not 1,3 crop one, or 8000$ one). Fore once they are right , you don t need they aprooval , just do what you feel !</p>