Sasha Obama

<p>As I've been watching inauguration coverage over the last couple of days I've noticed that Sasha Obama has a small digital camera with her and is always taking photographs. Wouldn't it be facinating to see those images? I remember Tipper Gore, who worked as a photgrapher, also made pictures often and published a book.</p>

<p><em>And how does celebrity status have anything to do with photography?</em><br>

Did you see any other people with cameras sitting DIRECTLY behind President Obama or DIRECTLY next to him? How about any other photographers who get to go home with him that night and have their camera capture the aftermath of excitement and energy as he relaxes with his family? It's her intimacy and access.<br>

Hmmm....</p>

<p>I'll bet her shots are better than the ones the Times ran in the "Obama's People" photo portfolio this past weekend!</p>

<p>By the way, Barry Goldwater was a serious (and talented) photographer, and Howard Baker used to bring a Leica to official events at the Capitol and in the White House when he was chief of staff. And there was once a postage stamp showing the Queen using her M3. I'll bet they all had points of view, in the literal sense, that no one else could have had.</p>

<p>If she's short, she'll have a unique perspective of looking up at people. And the kid's got what a lot of us would love to have, close access to a lot of famous people, and then since they're relaxed around the kid, she'll have the opportunity to get some good candid shots.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>A pink 5D Mark II and 24-105 f/4L IS combo just for Malia</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Huh? So you would give $4000 worth of camera weighing 4 pounds to a 10-year-old? I don't think Canon or Obama needs that kind of publicity that badly. When I was 10 all we got were $20 110 cameras that only took photographs in bright sunny weather or in small rooms indoors with a flash-bar. ;)</p>

<p>She carried it in her pocket. I was trying to figure out what she was struggling with the first time I saw her getting it out. A DSLR would be a little tough in the pocket. I don't think she wanted to look like the press corps. Besides, it will probably just go on Facebook and maybe flickr or a family album, that's what kids do with their photos.</p>

<p>I would love to see her photos, but I would love more for her to enjoy a private life, not in the public eye. Her photography should be just for her and the Obama family.</p>

<p>But yes, I was thinking exactly the same things expressed above. I even thought briefly, "Gee, I'd lend her my best camera and lens if she would share the photos with me." On second consideration, though, I really enjoyed watching Sasha and Malia just being kids -- with a daddy who's the President. A fancy camera and photographic responsibilities would have ruined that.</p>

<p>Good find Ray! (This thread had me wondering the usual silly questions and that article answered all of them.)</p>

<p>On a side note:<br>

Let's hope she's got a flair for photography because the hardware's just the tool not the art.</p>

<p> </p>