Ilfochrome/Cibachrome Today

<p>I stll print to Ciba/Ilfochrome paper in a wet darkroom from my<br>

Kodachrome slides. Paper and chemistry getting harder and harder<br>

to find in Canada. Been at it since Cibachrome first came out. Took me<br>

a while to get used to the black borders, ha ! But the colour is<br>

gorgeous!</p>

<p>Best regards,<br>

/Clay</p>

<p>Place rectangular block that just fits print holder opening after enlarger exposure. Open frame and fire strobe mounted next to enlarger lens - then you get white borders. (Block made of thin opaque material. )<br>

But its been years since I've done it. I want to digitally print - and wet process paper and skip the ink jet process - but then RA-4 paper is fine but I suppose I might do an occational Cibachrome if I have the material but only to get that longevity. (Transparency film may sometimes be original that is scanned.) And I need to find a way to do this on a very tight budget.<br>

I see a very slight streaking or unevenness in ink jet prints I've made so I want to set up my darkroom again.</p>

<p> </p>

Hi Jonathan,

Colour negative work is backwards to Ciba/Ilfochrome positive work. with regards to

filter packs. I do both and have charts on the wall for both filtration types.

Best hint I can give you for both is to pre-heat the drum with hot water first to hold

the temperature. Have fun, you will like both disciplines.

Best regards,

/Clay

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Its already some years ago I printed on Ilfochrome but definitely want to pick it up again. Still have some packs of paper in the frigorator and a set of chemicals. Unfortunately the material is not sold anymore in Spain and the last lab I new in Barcelona also has stopped using it. Is it still produced or has Ilford stopped producing it? I hope it will still be available for a long time. Can anybody tell me where to get in (in Europe)?</p>

<p>But to me its still the most beautifull print material. The colours are very stable of this paper: I cannot distinguish the colours of a photo hanging on the wall in my living room during +/- 10 years, hit everyday a couple of hours by direct sunlight, and an identical one I stored in a closed box. Marvelous material and not too dificult to print for a non -professional.</p>

<p> </p>

• 8 months later...
<p>I'm still printing Ciba/Ilfochrome commercially in the UK. Arguably the finest photographic print medium ever made, and I'm arguably one of the best printers ever made... well someone has to say so! I'm a one man band, keeping an all too rare but beautiful process going. And yes Ilford still make the stuff, though their marketing and distribution is not all it might be. So please excuse my self promotion and send me your transparencies!<div>00UlwV-181194084.jpg.9109fe25e03f7767de41880862683ed9.jpg</div>