bulk and 120 ] I'm looking for a film to work with while I re-learn

all the things I've forgotten since the last time I spent any serious

time in a darkroom. The fact it's cheaper is a plus but if it's horrid

then it's not cheap enough.

I'd like to stick to d-23 for the developer but from looking at the

"keep it simple" webpage 1:3 isn't reccomended for this film even

though a time is given for the 400 version. Does anybody know why it

isn't reccomended? I know it will be slow [i'm guessing about 22+

minutes] but the 400 isn't a quick process either.

I agree apx 100 is an excellent film, i haven't tried it in d-23 but

processing at 1:3 should be fine, but i would recommend that

you use at least 250ml of developer stock solution per roll of film

( 35mm and 120 ) so you may have to process in a larger tank

and leave some spools empty . The biggest problem with highly

dilute developers is not having enough developing agents to

properly process the film.

Because d-23 utilizes only metol as a developing agent you

should be able to process it at 24 degrees to reduce the time

without any loss of quality. I do this with apx 100 ( 120 )

processed in microdol-x / perceptol diluted at 1:2 for 11 minutes

( 1 minute pre-soak ) with excellent results when rated at an e.i.

of 50. 35 mm film may require less time.

Diluted D-23 should also yield very nice results perhaps slightly

grainier but with even more pronounced compensation effects.

have fun.

It's a beautiful film. I use it in 4x5 sheets, but the emulsion is theoretically identical for all three sizes. It looks good in HC-110 Dilution B, especially rated at 64 and pulled, and I recently changed to X-tol, where it's sharp, well-toned, and grain free. It also responds to a +1 push in X-tol 1:1.

Others may comment on this, but I have used the Arista 125 (FP4+), and found that when pushed Agfapan 100 doesn't get as dense in the highlights as quickly; i.e if I apply a standard 50% increase in time to push , I have to be careful of FP4 blocking, while APX doesn't.

Thanks everybody. When I saw the price difference I did a search on google and found a wide range of views. So I got a little worried.

I think I'll pick up a bulk roll and five rolls of 120. The total price will be about the same price of a bulk roll of Ilford FP4 35mm. Makes the 120 free-)

So far I've used APX 100 only in 120 (tho' my first 35mm roll is in the camera now) and really like it. Finer grain than Delta 100, tho' not as fine as TMX. Appears equal in "sharpness" to both. Wonderful tonality. My first exposures were all over the place (I hadn't yet figured out how to operate an ancient Bewi meter that came with my Rolleiflex) yet every frame is printable.

I'm not knocking APX 100 (as I haven't even tried it), but TMX is similarly cheap (i.e. same price at B&H, at least in bulk rolls). Might be something you want to try as well. It is the finest grain 100 speed film I have tried (out of Pan X, FP4+, Delta 100, and even Pan F (although I do like Pan F and it pushes well to 100 and 200)). I don't know about using d-23 with TMX, however. I mostly use d-76 1+1 with good results.

Perhaps some who have shot both APX 100 and TMX could provide a comparison?

The dealer I intend to order from charges 50+% more for kodak's cheapest film. 30+% for ilford's. It isn't that thier prices for kodak and ilford are out of line. The ilford is maybe 1-2$ cheaper then what I can get it locally. It's just the various Agfa film [but not the paper which is a little higher then local] is much cheaper then what I've seen at other places. The only down side is I've never ordered from them before. Hopefully next week I'll get around to it. They have a bunch of things I need/want at very fair prices so I'm making a list and checking it twice. I'd rather buy locally normally but the nearby camera shop basically gutted the amateur darkroom stuff so they can have more digital space. The effort of driving downtown to get to the bigger stores sort of defeats the point of by locally.

In addition to the great feedback already provided I'll share some of my opinions on APX 100 and film/dev choices in general.

1. Discussions of film/dev choices are for the most part subjective. Your choice depends on what you like and what you want to achieve with a particular image. For example some people like to see grain, others hate to see it.

2. Based on my observations it is possible to get acceptable results from most combinations of film/dev products offered by leading manufacturers. Different products, combinations, dilutions, development times, agitation methods, etc. will give different results -- sometimes subtle, sometimes not.

3. As has been stated above a worthy goal is to become familiar with a certain film/dev combination. This takes time and effort but the results are worth it.

4. RE: APX 100 specifically: I've tested APX 100 in 35mm and 120 using XTOL 1:3 and Rodinal 1:50 and 1:75. Though different, I have been very pleased with APX 100 results from both XTOL and Rodinal. In both developers the tonal range is smooth, the grain is tight, sharp and quite small. Grain is more visible with Rodinal, but negatives developed in Rodinal often have special qualities (clarity, brilliance, acutance, gradation) that I appreciate. The above film/dev combinatons have worked well for me with portraits (pleasing skin tones) and landscapes. APX 100 has proved versatile and easy to work with. Unlike some of its competitors it does not seem overly sensitive to minor variations in development time/temperature. I prefer APX 100 to many other medium speed films, even though some have technically better sharpness and smaller grain. Also, for what it's worth, I've tried APX 400 (35mm and 120) in both Rodinal 1:50 and XTOL 1:3 and have *not* been pleased with the results. With Rodinal there is too much grain for my liking. In both developers the APX 400 does not have the clarity and nice glow that I see with APX 100.

• 2 weeks later...

I just did two rolls. One of 35mm and one of 120. D-23 1:3 72F [the basement was warm this morning] 20 minutes. Invert the tank every minute for 10 seconds. Looks good.

One thing is this film thicker? I had trouble getting 36 shots onto the roll when I loaded the film canister with bulk load 35mm. At the time I thought it was the crappy canister but now that I'm handling the processed film it feels thick. Of course that could be just me. I'll try putting only 30 shots on and see how that goes.