Photos have tint of brown indoors, why?

dan_kraft

<p>With my 30d, many times when I take indoor general photos they have a tint of brown to them and come out rather dark. I have a 24-105mm L series lens f/4 and 50mm f/1.8 lens. I shoot in manual and have adjusted the custom white balance. Doesn't matter if I use external flash or not, majority just don't look right. Any suggestions? What am I doing wrong or just not doing? Any help would be great. This site has been awesome in the previous questions I've put up! Thanks dk</p>

<p>Probably you're using mixed lighting (tungsten + flash). If you balance for flash, the bits with more tunsten light mixed in will look yellow/brown.</p>

<p>If you don't use flash, you should be able to get a decent white balance in uniform indoor light (i.e. not tungsten and fluorescent mixed) using custom white balance.</p>

<p>If all else fails, shoot RAW and adjust in DPP</p>

<p>it's a colored piece of stuff like plastic you put in front of your flash to change the color of light it puts out to match that of ambient.</p>

<p>look up roscoe gell packs I believe it is. B&H photo or adorama usually sells them for like a buck or something plus shipping.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Guys, If I don't use the flash, everything for sure is dark. I have even gone to ISO 1600 with an aperture ranging from 1.8 to 4.0</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The images still shouldn't be dark. They may be blurred from long exposure, but the exposure should be OK. If the image is dark, dial in some exposure compensation and try again.</p>

<p>Your other alternative is to set your shutter speed to 1/250s which will record the flash but not the ambient light.</p>

<p>Read pages 65-69 of your user manual.<br>

Page 65 starts with the Custom White Balance function.<br>

Page 66 Setting the Color Temperature.<br>

Page 67 White Balance Correction(This is the one I recomend for the issues you are having)<br>

Page 68-69 White Balance Auto bracketing<br>

If you don't have the manual you can download/view it here:<br>

<a href="http://www.starbatteries.com/caeos30ddica.html">http://www.starbatteries.com/caeos30ddica.html</a> <br>

If you are using Flash set the AWB to flash. That's the little lighting bolt on the LCD.<br>

If you are using available light and there are tungsten lights in the background change the AWB to Tungsten. <br>

If you are using available light and there is a brownish tint to the pictures, bite-the-bullet and use flash, just don't forget to change the AWB to flash. </p>

<p>Gelling the flash and shooting tungsten wb is a good idea. However with tungsten wb I've never got colors as clean and crisp compared to more white light (flash, daylight). The tungsten wb correction is very substantial and stongly affects your gamut.</p>

<p>The other way around this is to use the flash as your main light source - try 100 iso and bouncing the flash.</p>

<p><br /> edit to add - shooting mixed light and using custom wb does not work very well (except for flat objects maybe). The foreground will have more flash and will be cooler, and the background will have progressively less flash and will be warmer (more brown). Trying to fix this in PS is tedious - I've messed with it. No thanks.</p>

<p>You can still have color mismatches, even if you don't use flash. For instance, you might be shooting something that is illuminated in window light, in front of a background that is illuminated more by incandescent (tungsten) light. That would make the background "brown."</p>